Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil overfill - drain or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 AM
volares
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil overfill - drain or not?

Hi I have just taken delivery of a 1977 S. It had been two months in transit, was leaking and looked low on oil. Long story short: it now has too much oil ( I guess about 2 litres) and is spitting and roaring like a dragon. (Lesson learned about checking oil at operating temperature Car is now parked up awaiting my next move, which normally would be a 1 mile drive to a local garage to get import registration work, and in this case to get advice on oil change. It looks like some of the excess oil has already been purged as smoke and leakage. I am thinking anyway, as a precaution, of draining some oil before starting the car up again but guess this will be a tricky operation since apparently none of oil gauges give accurate readings without the engine running at operating temperature, in which case I may as well just take it for the short drive to the garage and hope for the best. I am not going to try a full oil change myself as the car is parked up in a public place, with limited access. For what it's worth, at cold the oil level gauge now reads about half full and the disptick is midway between max and min. Help? Thanks
Old 10-17-2017, 12:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

id just dump the crankcase, that's about 2-3 litre or so I think. Then put the plug back in, crank it a bit with the fuel relay out and go from there.
I usually only put about 7 in then warm it up and top up . so I think you might be okay
Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM
09mageec
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
id just dump the crankcase, that's about 2-3 litre or so I think. Then put the plug back in, crank it a bit with the fuel relay out and go from there.
I usually only put about 7 in then warm it up and top up . so I think you might be okay
This may be your best bet if you are 100% opposed to a full oil change... There is somewhere around 3 quarts of oil sitting at the bottom of the motor, with the rest being in the tank... Depending on how much it was overfilled, you might still be too full even after dumping the oil in the crankcase.

If I were you, I'd dump some of the oil in the crank (LEAVE the oil in the tank), then warm the oil up enough to drain it all at a better location and do a full oil change, just to be positive its done right.

-Cam
Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Drain it off
Old 10-17-2017, 08:08 PM
TJsBeer
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Drain it off
Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

what ice said...

Except!

...the morons who overfilled likely put in oil with inadequate ZDDP - if you don't know what they used or how old it is, then drain it all off and use the correct Delo, Rotella T, or boutique cult oil of your choice

did they set the valves correctly? check while it is drained did they use the correct Mahle filter?

and... how old are the tires & rubber brake hoses???

what is the age of the rubber fuel hoses? is it ethanol mix compatible?

you will be checking suspension bushings too - no matter the mileage, age affects all 4 of the above but only 3 of them will kill you
Old 10-18-2017, 12:08 PM
volares
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all. So draining it off from the crank it is then. r911 thanks for the other pointers which I will take on board as the car is going in for a serious working over most likely including an engine rebuild at the earliest opportunity. I believe the moron who did the oil overfill (ahem) used Mobil 15W-40 as that was the best available option. Cheers
Old 10-19-2017, 09:33 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Sucking with a manual pump is super easy. HF has a great cheap pump.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:16 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,160 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Sucking with a manual pump is super easy. HF has a great cheap pump.
if you have one this is a great option.

Quick Reply: Oil overfill - drain or not?