Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

I need an education here gang

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:56 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I need an education here gang

A few of you guys may know me from HPDE/Instructing, and a few of you may know me from my time owning a 996Turbo. Some of you may have benefited from the 10-15 tech DIYs I did during the 2007-2012 timeframe, but many of you don't know who the heck I am. I currently own two 944s and plan to race one of them next year in NASA and PCA with Don Bryant.

So I have sold my 2012 Grandsport Corvette and have gotten bitten by the aircooled 911 bug. I'm starting a slow search for the right candidate. What is that exactly? I have no clue. Here's what I'll tell you about me though, I'm not afraid of a project. I have 62X30 feet of shop space, two lifts and plenty of past experience wrenching on different platforms. That doesn't mean I'm "looking" for more work/projects, but I'm also not afraid of a candidate that needs some love at the right price either.

So... Educate me on aircooled 911s and what I should or should not care about. I'm really interested in 930-964s. I'm not necessarily looking for something butchered with the RBW look and I'm pretty sure I can't afford a turbo model, but we'll see what's available when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I have no time limit on this search, so fire away and or point me in the right direction for reading!

Old 09-23-2017, 09:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Well firstly you are on an international technical forum for air cooled cars so 99,9% of us will have absolutely no idea who you are, not to be rude but don't really care about that anyway
What is important is that we represent Cars up to 89 and not turbos.
We are biased to these models.
All comes down to budget. Start there.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

You gotta read Mike's intro in your best Troy McClure voice.

As mentioned budget budget budget. If 964 ticks your looks and performance boxes start this same thread in the 964 forum. Most of those guys don't post here.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:29 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Mike,

Go drive some cars- a SC a Carrera a 964- that will give you an idea of which way to go. I've owned at least one of almost every ail cooled 911 that was ever built. PM me if I can help in any way.

Phil
Old 09-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are we looking for a track car? I'd not have the heart to turn a timid little stock example into a track worthy beast.*

*Who am I kidding.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:20 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Such a broad search there. Look at the cars in my sig. I have several of the air cooled cars because they each provide a different driving experience, even than one another.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:37 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For starters, an online forum is NOT the place to start your education. Read Peter Zimmerman's book "The Used 911 Story" for an in depth look at each model year from longhoods to 996's. That and Peter Morgan's "Original 911" will educate you on the diffferences between each era, and help you focus on where to concentrate your attention. These are written by experts. You have no idea who here is an expert but you're going to get pages of opinions that are often conflicting and confusing. Online forums are a great place for opinions and discussions of ideas, but lousy places to get an education.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:28 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
A few of you guys may know me from HPDE/Instructing, and a few of you may know me from my time owning a 996Turbo. Some of you may have benefited from the 10-15 tech DIYs I did during the 2007-2012 timeframe, but many of you don't know who the heck I am. I currently own two 944s and plan to race one of them next year in NASA and PCA with Don Bryant.

So I have sold my 2012 Grandsport Corvette and have gotten bitten by the aircooled 911 bug. I'm starting a slow search for the right candidate. What is that exactly? I have no clue. Here's what I'll tell you about me though, I'm not afraid of a project. I have 62X30 feet of shop space, two lifts and plenty of past experience wrenching on different platforms. That doesn't mean I'm "looking" for more work/projects, but I'm also not afraid of a candidate that needs some love at the right price either.

So... Educate me on aircooled 911s and what I should or should not care about. I'm really interested in 930-964s. I'm not necessarily looking for something butchered with the RBW look and I'm pretty sure I can't afford a turbo model, but we'll see what's available when I'm ready to pull the trigger. I have no time limit on this search, so fire away and or point me in the right direction for reading!

As been noted already, read, read and read, add to your list Porsche 911 by Paternie and Bodensteiner and The Porsche Family Tree by PCA, James Drayton, editor (although this stops at 1995). Also note these two are more reference orientated for looking up stats, etc. Then when you are "book" knowledgeable and clear on your goals (track v street) get out and drive 'em. When you've narrowed down to 3 or 4 candidates post here, revealing to us your goals and as much about the cars (with pictures) as reasonable. Broad postings here without being specific will bring out less than optimal information and lot's of biased opinions.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Got it, going to order whichever of these books I don't have, but I may have a couple already.

Locking this one for now. Will post back when I have education and candidates.

Quick Reply: I need an education here gang