Targa Body Brace

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 06:27 PM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa Body Brace

Hi Guys,

I'm considering buying a set of Targa body bracing struts (the ones that fit between the seat belt mountings.

Has anyone fitted these and do you have any thoughts on the benefit or otherwise?

Regards

Jon Jeffryes

79 911 SC Targa Sport

79 928 auto
Old 12-08-2003, 01:23 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put a set on my '87 a couple of months ago and I feel absolutely no difference. Also, did not quiet the ride any, etc. From my personal experience I think that the money might be better spent elsewhere. Or maybe I just don't drive hard enough...

Tom
Old 12-08-2003, 02:20 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

have been thinking about them as well, John Paterak told me they are a waste.
I thought I might see some deference because my Targa has a pretty stuff suspension,
Old 12-08-2003, 04:13 PM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Well guys,

The money will be spent better elsewhere.....namely $324 for a new targa roof latch as one of mine fell apart last night!

Thanks anyway. I must admit, I was pretty dubious about a couple of additional bracing struts making that much difference......maybe I don't drive that hard either?

regards

Jon
Old 12-09-2003, 02:56 PM
JMPRO
Intermediate

I have sold over 100 sets of the Targa Bars and have not had a single complaint, as a matter of fact , i have had at least 6 people call me to say what a fine job the bars do on thier cars. When marketing stuff like this you don't expect to hear from the satisfied customers, just the unhappy ones.I suspect some of the bad things said are just rumors and not the reports of real users of the product.
Jerry
JM PRODUCT DESIGN
Old 12-09-2003, 04:24 PM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Jerry,

I have a 79 SC targa with Sport pack (US) i.e. Bilsteins, 225/50 16 rears and 205/50 16 fronts. I use my car for mixed road work, mainly with the top off . Yes, I know it rains a lot in the UK and it's cold in December, but hell the heater is like a furnace and if you drive over 30mph, the rain goes over the top anyway!

Most of the road work is on fast motorways and + 300 miles...or when the fuel runs out.... at a time. However, there is quite a lot of backroad use on fast A and B roads. That's wher I hoped the brace may work well.

There is a significant difference in structural stability between my 928 (the only other car I have a direct comparison with) and the tqrga. Now the very fact it's a targa far outweighs the slight scuttle shake I think.... and that's a big one......I can feel.

So, do you think the body braces will help? As I've saved some of the 423 dollars by buying a secondhand latch, i might still be in the market if the braces work.

Regards

Jon J

79 911 SC Targa Sport...now 52k miles
Old 12-09-2003, 04:38 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally posted by JMPRO
I have sold over 100 sets of the Targa Bars and have not had a single complaint, as a matter of fact , i have had at least 6 people call me to say what a fine job the bars do on thier cars. When marketing stuff like this you don't expect to hear from the satisfied customers, just the unhappy ones.I suspect some of the bad things said are just rumors and not the reports of real users of the product.
Jerry
JM PRODUCT DESIGN
Jerry,

How much do you sell them for?
Old 12-09-2003, 05:41 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry,

I hope that my comment above is not taken as a "complaint". Also, I have not heard any "bad things said", and I am a user of the Targa Body Braces. I just said that I saw no appreciable difference after I installed them, and I stand by this.

Tom
Old 12-09-2003, 07:47 PM
JMPRO
Intermediate

The Targa bars can be purchased from pelicanparts.com, performance products, tweeks and vertex automotive. You could also order from me and use paypal.The suggested retail is $199.00.
I originally designed these bars for my 78 Targa to see if they would make any differance and was very surprized at the differance they made. All that noise coming from the door jams when you traversed driveways and over speed bumps was gone. Most all the ticks and rattles from the top on those same paved areas was also gone. I made another set for a friend and he experianced the same benifits so that brought me to offer the bars along with my strut braces and a few other products i make for Porsches. I don't consider your remarks as complaints but neither are they an endorsment. Perhaps you have a very nice, tight Targa to begin with and would not really see the benifits for a few more years.
Jerry
Old 12-10-2003, 01:42 AM
tomt
AutoX

I bought a combo harness and targa bar (Speedware), figuring that since I needed the mount for the 5 points, I might as well take a gamble on the extra rigidity as well. At the same time I added a strut tower bar and Konis (along with a corner balance and alignment). All told, the car rides much better -- on and off the track. I don't know how much to attribute to the Targa bar tho...

Note that this harness bar was designed to have the sholder belts mounted directly -- most are not.

Here's a pic:
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 PM
melted
Intermediate

I purchased the bars from performance or pelican I can't remember. I had a pickle of a time getting them to fit. I called jm products to inquire if I needed to do something different. Jerry was actually extremely helpful and seeing as I was so close offered to put them on my car. (which I took him up on) Here is what I can say I have noticed about the car.

1. My targa top stopped making so much noise around bumps
2. Handling on turns (on ramps and such) was noticably stiffer
3. If you have ever had your car on a lift and opened the doors you will notice a large amount of body flex. (Doors get harder to shut) This decreased noticably but did not go away.

Lastly I don't know as they made any difference but about 8 months ago I was involved in a car accident. A car lost control, hit me and I spun hitting the center divider at about 60 mph. It was a significant crash as the seat belt broke my sternum and several ribs. Dash smashed up my legs, I could go on and on. The part that actually surprised me is the doors were still able to be opened. I still have the car with the rails installed if anyone would like to see pictures. The car is nothing to look at but the rails look fine.

Would I buy them again? Without hesitation.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:54 PM
JMPRO
Intermediate

Melted, i am sure sorry to hear about the accident and hope you mend well. I t was a pleasure doing business with you and thanks for the endorsement.
Jerry
Old 12-11-2003, 04:49 PM
jonjeffryes
Instructor

Melted,

Real sorry about the accident and hope you have had a full recovery. I think between your experience and Jerry's wise words I have been persuaded that these bars seem a good idea on an old Targa.

I'll wait until post Christmas to order so I don't loose them in the post though!

another fine example of this list at it's best!

Jon J

79 911 SC targa sport - just back from a 780 mile round trip today - weather appalling but the porker didn't miss a beat!.....and only used 1 1/4 tanks of fuel.!!!

atvb

Jon
Old 12-11-2003, 07:01 PM
JMPRO
Intermediate

tont, the harness brace struts you speak of don't do the same thing as the targs bars. The harness bar braces only give support to the harness bar and no support to the car . The targa bar is designed only to provide rigidity to car body.
Jerry
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM
johnf3488
Intermediate

Thumbs down Targa body struts

Jerry, (JMPRO),
Do you have a product website? Do you make body struts that fit a 964 Targa, Please? Thanks, John

Quick Reply: Targa Body Brace