Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil cooler horn relocation necessary w/o fan?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:35 AM
laughingman868
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler horn relocation necessary w/o fan?

Good evening,

I plan to switch from the trombone to the Carrera oil cooler and just needed something verified. While reading up on this I see that the horns need relocated but in the pelican tech article it says that the fans will hit, my question is will they still need relocated if I do not plan to use a fan right now?

Everything else looks straight forward, I'm just curious if clearance was only an issue when using a fan. Thanks in advance gents

-Brenon
Old 09-12-2017, 02:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That is such a small detail I'd not worry about it. You may have to move it....what?....an inch?. I think they share a bracket. I moved my horns when I replaced my fan and there is all kinds of room down there.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 AM
laughingman868
Track Day

I guess I was not so much worried but just wanted to be prepared if they did need moved. If the temps dont drop a decent amount I can always go back in and move the horns but for now I wanna see if just the added cooler will be sufficient.

Thank you for the quick response!! I looked around earlier and it does appear that there is a decent amount of space to work with
Old 09-12-2017, 04:55 PM
laughingman868
Track Day

I stumbled across an excellent post just now that included several pictures of mounting it so I just have one more question, does anyone know what thread type/bolt id need to plug the thermostat hole since I'm not using the fan?

Iv tried searching for one but nothing turned up and none of the coolers say they come with a plug for those people that dont plan to use the fan.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:34 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Go ahead and buy the switch, screw it in, and you are set. If you are buying the aftermarket cooler off Pelican you are way ahead of the game and have the loose change to buy the switch.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:10 PM
laughingman868
Track Day

I may be a little lost but Is the switch just a sensor that I can screw in but not actually have hooked up to the fan wiring, but can still be used to plug the hole?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by laughingman868
I may be a little lost but Is the switch just a sensor that I can screw in but not actually have hooked up to the fan wiring, but can still be used to plug the hole?
Yep. I ran that way for years. My switch didn't work so I just bypassed it. I replaced my fan back when they were cheap, like dirt cheap....like you don't want to know how badly I stole it. Stupid me was too cheap to also buy a new switch so the new fan still didn't work so I just hardwired the fan. It wasn't until I replaced the flex lines leading into the cooler that I put on a new switch and plugged it in. Simple stuff. It's likely just a 10 x 1.5 thread, but just buy the switch.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:41 PM
laughingman868
Track Day

Ok great thank you so much for the info! I found the BMW part from a discussion also about the cooler upgrade so ill grab that and the washer from pelican so I can get this job done. The temps I was at the other day made me pretty uncomfortable.

Quick Reply: oil cooler horn relocation necessary w/o fan?