Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thoughts of survival?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 05:52 PM
kuks1975
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts of survival?

So, I live in Houston. Due to priorities, I had to make choices as Hurricane Harvey bared down on us. I put the wife's new R-Design XC90 T8 up on the lift and put our 1984 Targa on jack stands in the garage. I measured I could have had 20 inches of water in the garage and still not get water in the car. We had 32 inches of water in the garage.

After the water receded, I let the car down and discovered it would still turn over but I didn't go further than bumping the starter. At the instruction of my insurance company, I pushed it out of the garage and let it sit, while they sent a flatbed to come get it and take it to a common lot for evaluation.

I haven't heard anything yet from the insurance company but I'm curious if you guys think it will survive? The night I pushed it out, dash lights came on in the car, such as the seat belt light, while there was no key in the ignition. I'm going to guess the electrical on the car is toast but I didn't mess with it before it left. The seats and carpet were wet. The water was deep enough to touch the bottom of the dash. How much electrical can go south on this thing due to water? I haven't had it very long and haven't been able to really work on it yet due to other commitments.
Attached Images     
Old 09-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Awww man. So sorry for your loss. Doesn't look like the bike fared well either. What part of Houston are you in? Hoping for the best.

Debo in Austin
Old 09-05-2017, 06:09 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this doesn't answer the question, but very sorry about your losses brother.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:11 PM
kuks1975
AutoX

Originally Posted by Debo18D
Awww man. So sorry for your loss. Doesn't look like the bike fared well either. What part of Houston are you in? Hoping for the best.

Debo in Austin
Thanks, I've drained the bike and have it running again. The engine and transmission took in water but the final drive stayed dry. A few oil changed later, it runs and is ready to go again.

The car I'm not so sure about as it exhibited electrical signs of death, just like my work truck did in the driveway.

I live just south of West U./Rice University.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kuks1975
Thanks, I've drained the bike and have it running again. The engine and transmission took in water but the final drive stayed dry. A few oil changed later, it runs and is ready to go again.

The car I'm not so sure about as it exhibited electrical signs of death, just like my work truck did in the driveway.

I live just south of West U./Rice University.

Holy ****! That is where I grew up. I used to live on Ruskin street behind the old Bellaire Theater and SW Bell switching station. Right there near Weslayan and Bellaire Blvd. I knew Meyerland got pounded again and Braeswood too. So sorry for you guys.

D.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Speed of getting things drained and or dried out is parmount. Removing the plugs and filling cylinders with something from petroleum products such as oil. Distributor....get it dry. Anywhere water sits will bring problems. Last year we blew a head gasket on a '65 Lotus Elan. As we were to busy to get to it, we filled the cylinders with motor oil to the top. It sat for six months, popped the head and no damage due to corrosion.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

1st thing that comes to mind is the ECU under the seat - OTOH, people can and do repl. those anyway, and maybe no water got past the door seals

2nd is the elec. panel and connection in the engine compartment

3rd is the fuse panel and battery etc. in the trunk

not sure on the hts. of all those

besides the engine itself, there is rust on the body - even between the fenders and the unit body
Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 AM
pmax
Advanced

If you intend on saving the car, get it out of the insurance yard and start drying it out. The longer the car sits as is, the more damage results.

Good luck with this.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:56 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pmax
If you intend on saving the car, get it out of the insurance yard and start drying it out. The longer the car sits as is, the more damage results.

Good luck with this.
Agreed 100%. Can't go back in time, but should have been stored without a battery. Can't short a wire with no battery.....
Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

oh my , so sorry for your hurt right now.

I just have to wonder why you left an irreplaceable piece of history on the ground while hoisting a mass produced appliance in the air, but I understand we have to make choices.

I think contacting someone experienced in flood repair quickly is paramount. Flood cars are a nightmare and to be avoided in general.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:12 AM
cairo94507
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

OMG! Sorry for your losses. I hope the insurance company does the right thing by you and everyone else similarly situated. Such a sad picture.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman

I just have to wonder why you left an irreplaceable, appreciating piece of history on the ground while hoisting a mass produced, rapidly depreciating, replaceable appliance in the air, but I understand we have to make choices.

I think contacting someone experienced in flood repair quickly is paramount. Flood cars are a nightmare and to be avoided in general.
FIFY
Old 09-07-2017, 11:43 AM
kuks1975
AutoX

Originally Posted by theiceman

I just have to wonder why you left an irreplaceable piece of history on the ground while hoisting a mass produced appliance in the air, but I understand we have to make choices.

I put the brand new Volvo in the air because it cost twice as much as the Targa, and it seats 7. I had my MIL in from Norway, making us a family of 5. Needing transportation after the storm can be a safety item and the Targa doesn't cut it. I just sold my Tacoma two weeks ago because I have an LR D110 in transport from the Netherlands right now, meaning the Volvo and the Targa were the only two vehicles I owned at the moment. My work truck didn't survive in the driveway either.

As for water in the car, it was in the doors and to the bottom of the dash but never made it into the trunk due to the slight angle the car had sitting on the jack stands. I don't have the ability to get the car back from the insurance lot until they have done their work. I didn't get a choice of how the car was handled, not if I wanted any insurance help anyways. There is more than 500K cars here that were flooded, they have to deal with it in the most efficient manner possible, which is take them all to one location and start working their way through them for evaluation. I don't think it is appropriate to try to require special treatment in times like this.
Attached Images  

Last edited by kuks1975; 09-07-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:52 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

That is a tough situation , but I still would have put the brand new appliance in the air as the insurance company is replacing it anyway, and will be able to very quickly as all they have to do is write a cheque. I would have then rented a people carrier you need right after the storm and submitted the bill to insurance.

but regardless, sad to see any vehicle destroyed by water. Hope you can save her.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:13 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,762 Likes on 1,748 Posts

Very sorry for your situation. No electrical answers. Hope your dwelling is repairable to better than new.

Gotta love those Beemer bikes - drain it change the fluids a few time and carry on.

Good luck. Let us know if we can help.

Quick Reply: Thoughts of survival?