Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Air Cooled Engine Sounds???

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 08:04 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Cooled Engine Sounds???

Ok, so I've asked this question previously maybe in the water cooled section but would like to try to get some more explanations and descriptions on what people feel makes the 80's and 90's air cooled Porsche 911s engine/exhaust sound so special?
I've had both 996 with PSE and now I recently bought an 1988 3.2. I have Dansk sport exhaust one in one out and a cat bypass.
Although it does sound nice I really can't quite figure out what exactly is such the huge difference between my 996 c4s with pse and the 88 3.2 in terms of sounds.
I actually got more nice growls and burbles from the 996 c4s in the lower RPMs. My 1988 might have a little bit lounder exhaust in the upper regions 4500rpms plus.

With the 1988 I do hear some nice quiet intake noises that I didn't hear with the 996. And then now with the cat bypass on decel I get some nice pops once in awhile. BUT that said, outside of the pops which i did NOT have with the c4s what exactly is that "air cooled symphony" that you all rave about? Maybe I'm just getting too damn old and my ears arent sharp anymore?
Just really curious as to what is that special "sound" that people constantly refer to with the air cooled.

thanks!
leon
Old 08-31-2017, 08:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Omg how many threads are we gonna have on this ??
Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

the more the merrier
Old 08-31-2017, 08:28 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

actually, once I get a nice solid explanation =o)
Old 08-31-2017, 08:28 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

if you don't like don't read it....better yet, don't respond!
I've had a stressful week at work and Rennlist is a nice spot with nice people to chat and get my mind off work. I'd appreciate it if you didn't have anything nice or good or informative to add to please just igonore. No one needs unnecessary remarks. thanks buddy. love you. =oP
Old 09-01-2017, 05:27 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, the fan for starters makes it unique, the higher the RPMs the louder the wail! Also the fact that the engine has no water jacket makes the mechanical sound louder and more distinctive. Then of course the horizontally opposed cylinders produce an almost misfire boxer sound, particularly if the exhaust system has the stock heat exchangers with the bank cross over pipe. This adds to the mis-timed beat. 911s with headers and 2 in 2 out have a more tuned sound.

My take on it, anyway.

Jase.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:29 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jherriott
Well, the fan for starters makes it unique, the higher the RPMs the louder the wail! Also the fact that the engine has no water jacket makes the mechanical sound louder and more distinctive. Then of course the horizontally opposed cylinders produce an almost misfire boxer sound, particularly if the exhaust system has the stock heat exchangers with the bank cross over pipe. This adds to the mis-timed beat. 911s with headers and 2 in 2 out have a more tuned sound.

My take on it, anyway.

Jase.

Thank you Jase. Excellent description. I always like hearing hownpeople perceive the differences between the two. Now that i have experiences both types i have my own thoughts on the differences. No doubt my air cooled car is absolutely better built overall. The parts and material im the car all feel much more solid and theres a lot less creaking noises too.

That said, outside of the fan noises and the swoosh intake spund i honestly dont hear a huge difference in the emgine amd exhaust notes while inside the car driving. Outside the car, yes the fan noises and other mechanical noises do come out more but while driving i personally hear more exhaust sounds than anyhing else and my exhaust is pretty tame.

Just still trying to pinpoint what exactly is the biggest sound differences while in the car driving. I guess i was expecting a drasric difderence or maybe the pse really magnified the noises in the 996.

Btw love the color on your 928 in middle of your signature. Havent seen that color previously.

Thanks and enjoy the friday!
Leon
Old 09-01-2017, 11:37 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Omg how many threads are we gonna have on this ??
Right on, Iceman. This is ridiculous and annoying.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:43 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Dave
As i states before if you dont like it please disregard. You guys crack me up. Clowns.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:48 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

Right on davey boy!! Right on iceman!! Lets be rude and talk **** in a friendly forum. For people wanting to learn and discuss. Shut it you jackassess.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:57 AM
spreeleon
Instructor

You two clowns are annoying. Do you guys sit there and go through every single posting and carefully assess whats a solid question? Whats a repetitive question? Lmfao! Are you guys the forum assessment crew?

Not that i have to defend my question BUT when i asked this question before I got lots of answers of how great the air cooled engines sound. Which is great and nice answers but i was looking to see what are the real differences between the air cooled and water cooled. As i mentioned i dont feel a 996 with pse sounds that much "less" than a 3.2. Is there some type of sound im missing with the air cooled? Somethjng im not hearing or is the difference between the air cooled and water cooled sounds more exagereated by the loyal air cooled group?
Again no one on this forum should have to justify or explain their questions. Do treat newbies as you would your mom and dad. Thank you
Old 09-02-2017, 05:21 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

spree, it wasn't in the water-cooled section....it was right here on the front page of the air-cooled.

Let's just say that most guys lose their jorts when they go for a ride in my cab. No engine sound pad, no plastic grill, no back seats, composite front seats, felt carpet, rag top, drilled airbox, bisimoto PC, allow an incredible amount of sound into the driver. Unzip the rear window and it's unbelievably intoxicating. There is no chatting with your passenger or listening to the radio. You don't want to.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:04 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
spree, it wasn't in the water-cooled section....it was right here on the front page of the air-cooled.

Let's just say that most guys lose their jorts when they go for a ride in my cab. No engine sound pad, no plastic grill, no back seats, composite front seats, felt carpet, rag top, drilled airbox, bisimoto PC, allow an incredible amount of sound into the driver. Unzip the rear window and it's unbelievably intoxicating. There is no chatting with your passenger or listening to the radio. You don't want to.

Hahha thanks Amber. Peeps better not be losing their **** while in your car!! Im fairly certain you wouldnt be too pleased.
Yah i heard getting that sound pad in engine bay is a major pain but i may try it sometime.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 09-02-2017, 08:24 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Awesome sounds!! Wicked for sure. I take it all those cars are running without any mufflers.

Quick Reply: Air Cooled Engine Sounds???