Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

TIRES???? What to Buy???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003 | 10:51 AM
jmarenas
Advanced

Cool TIRES???? What to Buy???

I will be purchasing a complete set of tires for my 87 911 with 17" RUFs what has worked best for the "Wild *** Gear Head" porsche owners? I currently have Bridgstones S-02 on now with 30% left on all. I am mostly interested in Handling since my 911 is lowered to the max. Thanks in advance! John
Attached Images  
Old 12-05-2003 | 01:19 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

if you want to really be a wild *** gear head, and get the most traction you possible can, the i would go for Michelin Pilot Sport Cup, a DOT legal street competition radial.. mainly for auto-x use, but i know some that use em on the streets.

of course, you can only drive her in dry conditions as you wont get traction in the wet or icey weather. also you wont have the longest tread life.

but they are sticky gooey, and great fun from what i hear. this is assuming you want to let the ***** hang out and get the most performance you can get in a street legal tire. however, this may (ok.. most likely will) be over kill.. (then again you asked for what a wild *** gear head would use )

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ilot+Sport+Cup

if thats too much, i know alot of guys who also like pilot sport, pilot sport- ps2, and pilot sport ribbed. i know alot of others who dig the bridgestone potenza pole position and perrelli's too. personally i like yokohama avs es 100 on mine, good bang for the buck (besides, i dont have too much hp to go really nuts with the tires, and my 14 inch fuchs limit me to certain tires)
Old 12-05-2003 | 10:03 PM
Paul Conquest
Instructor

If longevity is important, then stick with "performance" rather than "competition" rated tires. Bridgestone S-02s, Yoko AVS Sport and Michelin Pilot Sport are all very respectable. I've heard good things about the stick of Khumo Ecstas, but longevity has been a serious concern. I'd avoid anything from Goodyear as they don't stick worth **** in my opinion, and Pirelli doesn't exactly turn my crank either.
Old 12-06-2003 | 12:43 AM
stefang
Addict
Rennlist Member

I love the SO3s I'm running on my M3 right now. The 944 has a set of AVS Intermediates (superceded by ES100s) that works pretty well street and track. I had a set of Kumho Ecstas a few years back and was underwhelmed.

Actually, come to think of it, the M3 currently has Dunlop Wintersport M2s on it

Stef
Old 12-06-2003 | 02:33 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

The Sport Cups are great tires; they're essentially a long-lasting r-compound tire. They won't be at their best until they've heated up, though. Track guys complain about them a lot for the first couple of laps.

I participated in a week-long time trialing event last year where we were limited to actual street tires. This didn't mean simply DOT-legal, it was only tires with a wear rating of 140 or higher. The second best tires in this category were the S-03's, shaved so the later-in-life soft rubber was exposed. The best, though, were the BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD's. Shaved, they were unbeatable. For your use, I wouldn't shave them, though.

One caveat, though: the S-03's will be better if you drive in the rain. Either that, or the g-force T/A KDW's.
Old 12-07-2003 | 09:33 AM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Bridgestone RE's

I have always loved that series of tires.

cheers

jpc
Old 12-08-2003 | 12:53 PM
k911sc
Intermediate

less than 1000 miles on a set of kuhmo mx's and love them so far. way superior to my yoko avs intermeds that were just removed. they are claimed to be a dry weather tire so if you drive in the rain maybe not.
Old 12-08-2003 | 01:17 PM
delhi
Racer

If you can find the right size, i suggest the Falken Azenis Sports. Very chunky thread blocks and has enough grooves to get rid of water. The price is low too. I know alot of guys run them at autoX.
Old 12-08-2003 | 06:54 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Greetings,
I ran Bridgestone S-03's on my 911 this year and I loved them. I drove from NH to FL to drive on Sebring and used the S-03's and loved them. They are a excellent tire that are even more amazing in the rain! Also, The Yoko AVS and Mich. Pilot Sports are all excellent tires as well. Just don't forget that competition tires are not good in the rain or the cold, so be careful. Best wishes - Jay Gratton

Quick Reply: TIRES???? What to Buy???