Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa 1972 911 - Newbie help wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:40 PM
UKdan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa 1972 911 - Newbie help wanted!

Hi guys,

I've been an avid porsche 911 fan since I was a kid and currently have found a 1972 911 Targa in Montreal Canada. I currently live in London, England.

Here is the link to the car:
http://www.winghoauto.com/vehicle/porsche-911t-1972/

This would be my first classic car (currently own a golf R), and I was wanting some advice on what to look for when buying it.

I was also wondering if someone could have a look at this car for before I ship it back to the UK, of course willing to pay for this service. In the UK, as you guys know we have certain vehicle safety testing and therefore want to make sure it doesn't have any major flaws.

Many thanks for your help in advance and I hope I haven't offended anyone with my lack of knowledge in this area.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:04 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Surprised you haven't gotten a response yet, so I'll give you my opinion.

I think I would slow down before I spent $80K ($64K US or 50K UK pounds) on a car from overseas, and learn more about these cars and check out a few in the UK first.

That's a lot of money for a 911T, especially one with the wrong engine, and with virtually no additional details about the restoration. That engine looks like a 3.0L CIS injected engine with poly fuel lines (from a 1978 or 1979 911), instead of the 2.4L mechanically injected engine that it should have come with. Probably a better engine from a driveability and horsepower standpoint, but it raises a ton of additional questions.

Was the engine rebuilt? What parts were replaced? Did they also upgrade the gearbox? Was the suspension restored? Brakes upgraded? What oil cooler is on it? Is that the original color? What's the condition of the Targa top? Does it have heat? I don't see the necessary heater hoses in the engine compartment. Will they let you get an independent inspection by a reputable shop? It could look gorgeous on the topside (this one does look very nice), and be a nightmare underneath.

You could get burned badly if you are not careful.

Mark
Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 AM
UKdan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many thanks

Many thanks for your response and sorry for the delay in mine.

I only know the answer to a few of those questions and I have been recommended a reputable dealer in Montreal that I will get to check the car out and do a thorough inspection.

I will let you know how it goes. Another member on here has also been very helpful and has sent me a lot of links and photo's of 911's that are being sold in the states that are a lot cheaper.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:02 AM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 197 Likes on 155 Posts

Excellent! I hope that my post wasn't too negative. I think you're taking the right approach, see how the inspection turns out, and don't let you emotions rush you into anything.

Mark
Old 08-30-2017, 05:36 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

I always try to monitor the oil pressure when test driving these cars, also let it idle for a while and get hot, then take it for a nice spirited drive and see how the temp is behaving.

If possible ask to see the car when cold and do a cold start!

Of course make sure you check the undercarriage of the car- very important to be sure no rust, no patches in the pan etc..

Quick Reply: Targa 1972 911 - Newbie help wanted!