Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is the proper torque on valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 11:48 PM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question What is the proper torque on valve covers?

Okay, I replaced my exhaust valve covers with a set of turbo exhaust valve covers. I read one manual that said to torque them to 6 ft/lbs, there was a response on this board that said 10 ft/lbs and in yet another respected Porsche magazine (Excellence) directed torquing to 14-18 ft/lbs. Which is it? Also the stock intave valve covers, (magnesium) what torque can I safetly tighten these to? Even with new gaskets they still leaked. Are there turbo style vlave covers for the intake side? If so are they worth installing.

Scott Harris
1973 911T 2.4L MFI
Old 03-05-2002, 01:09 AM
john d 81SC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott,

Wayne Dempsey, in his 101 Projects fot the Porsche 911, recommends that if your car is equipped with the original magnesium covers(which were 1968-1978), replace BOTH the upper and lower covers with the Turbo aluminum covers. He recommends that they be torqued to about 8 N-m, which is 5.9 ft-lbs. He also suggests that if the covers still leak after installation, have a local machine shop mill them flat- sometimes the casting process leaves them slightly deformed. BTW, if you don't own this book, it's worth looking into - it's already paid for itself in my case.

Quick Reply: What is the proper torque on valve covers?