Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'88 930 Cab Top Dead, Tried everything!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:58 AM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '88 930 Cab Top Dead, Tried everything!

I really hope someone can shed some knowledge on me. Porsche 930 1988. Cab top not opening, nothing is moving at all! Latch motors arent moving, nothing. I have checked all fuses, the little fuse(2.5A) in the nest under the fuse holder, fuse #3(25A). Tried a new working convertible top switch, tried a new working Cab top ecu from a 964, made sure the limits aren't made in the back seat gear, tested those electrically also to make sure they are not stuck. Only thing is the relay in the ECU clicks both ways when pressing the convertible top switch, and that is it! What can i possibly be missing, Is there a sequence of events that is different from a 964, maybe there is something i am missing that is special to the 930 911? I have both the electric diagrams and the cab top manual. Hope someone can give me some pointers.

Last edited by Maxpowers2k; 08-19-2017 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Default Update

Just for the record, look like I figured it out. The later convertible top units are not backwards compatible as per the convertible top manual. I have tested each part and switches bypassing the ecu, everything works. It is definitely the control ecu. Have to figure out how to obtain one now.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any place like http://www.ecudoctors.com/ should be able to fix yours. I love this place. ......my '88 top is manual....as God intended.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Default Manual top

Haha, that does sound like a lot less headache! Yes I did notice ecu doctors, and was hesitating, now I think I will send it to them after hearing it from you.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
Any place like http://www.ecudoctors.com/ should be able to fix yours. I love this place. ......my '88 top is manual....as God intended.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 235 Posts

ECUDoctors replaced my convertible top module several years ago. Had all sorts of weird issues prior to that. No problems for several years now and I use it a lot.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:50 PM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Got the new ECU from ecu doctors, same things... Now maybe someone can tell me about the position #1 it has to be in, position # 1 it starts the cigarette lighter and as far as i can see nothing else and no convertible top light. but every post i see says to have key in position 1. My position 2 i get the convertible top light(goes off after a few seconds) and the ecu unit now clicks when i press the switch, but still no response from roof. Also is it true that i need the handbrake on( i do not see it on the electrical drawing, and the car flat... also not on the drawing..)
Old 09-09-2017, 12:12 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxpowers2k
Got the new ECU from ecu doctors, same things... Now maybe someone can tell me about the position #1 it has to be in, position # 1 it starts the cigarette lighter and as far as i can see nothing else and no convertible top light. but every post i see says to have key in position 1. My position 2 i get the convertible top light(goes off after a few seconds) and the ecu unit now clicks when i press the switch, but still no response from roof. Also is it true that i need the handbrake on( i do not see it on the electrical drawing, and the car flat... also not on the drawing..)
handbrake on
Old 09-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Default Hand brake and Convertible too

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
handbrake on
No connection of hand brake to convertible top..
No connection of hand brake to convertible top
Old 09-09-2017, 01:33 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

That is true per the diagram, but there was a retrofit in the 964 which added the safety feature and the rebuilt modules usually are 964 part numbers. My 88 top will not operate unless the handbrake is because of this.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:39 PM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
That is true per the diagram, but there was a retrofit in the 964 which added the safety feature and the rebuilt modules usually are 964 part numbers. My 88 top will not operate unless the handbrake is because of this.
Thanks for the quick reply, the ecu unit is still original, and I used 2 working ones to test. Also tried the 964 unit, same thing. So e brake shouldn't be the problem.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Default Back to start

I guess back to start, I will re test all functions again, will update soon.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:20 AM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Well i think i might as well give up... Tested everything 3 times over, top moves up and down, locks close and unlock when bypassing ecu. Tested limits, grounds, lights. Just one thing if any one can confirm, the convertible top light, lights up when going to the radio key position and goes off. Does the light go on again while the convertible top is moving up or down before it goes in the final position. because when i move the top in bypass, with all the connectors are still on the ecu the light never goes on, i thought it should be on while the top is not in its final position. hope someone can confirm, then i can troubleshoot from there, or any other ideas..
Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Maxpowers2k
Well i think i might as well give up... Tested everything 3 times over, top moves up and down, locks close and unlock when bypassing ecu. Tested limits, grounds, lights. Just one thing if any one can confirm, the convertible top light, lights up when going to the radio key position and goes off. Does the light go on again while the convertible top is moving up or down before it goes in the final position. because when i move the top in bypass, with all the connectors are still on the ecu the light never goes on, i thought it should be on while the top is not in its final position. hope someone can confirm, then i can troubleshoot from there, or any other ideas..
My light comes on when the key is turned on for bulb check then goes off as long as top is full open or full closed. If top is anywhere in between, the light is on. If top is in transit anywhere in the open or close cycle, the light is on.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Great, so my indicator light is only on when i turn the key then never goes on again no matter which position the top is in.. tried to simply ground it out i get the light but still the top does not move(i opened the connectors while everything is hooked up for testing) , looking into it now, looks like the ecu grounds out for the light to go but it is not doing that for some reason..wish i had the ecu circuit diagram now, i wonder if that exists.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Maxpowers2k
Track Day

Jesus *********@*@*****(*@*8, I got it going. it was a the ignition terminal! I found a thread saying hold the switch while rotating the key! The activation area is so tiny its almost non existent! OMG, still some things dont make sense but there. SOLVED

Quick Reply: '88 930 Cab Top Dead, Tried everything!