Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1985 911 Carrera Cab AC and Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:16 AM
db_murray
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 911 Carrera Cab AC and Valve Covers

I am new at working on my 911. I want to tackle the oil change and valve adjustment job.

I watched a couple of videos and feel I can handle the job. Quick questions:

1. My AC unit seems to block the access to the intake valve cover. Do I need to remove it to access and adjust the valves?

2. My AC unit was abandoned years ago. Any reason not to remove it? If so is there a thread that instructs on how to do it?

3. I want to clean up the engine bay before I start the job. What is the best method for this as well.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Photos of AC unit.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Full A/C delete is rather involved. For now just unbolt the compressor, disconnect the lines and unplug the electrical. You also remove the air filter and the heat blower tube. It's doable.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:08 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 111 Posts

With a cab and in your location/climate, you really don't need AC. About as useful as a roof. I started getting rid of mine about 20 years ago ('85 cab, too).

I similarly permanently removed the compressor on either the first or second valve adjustment I did after getting the car. I think the normal valve adjustment procedure would have you remove the AC mounting bolts so you can move it out of the way, but leaving the hoses connected.

Assuming your AC system emptied itself long ago, you can just start removing things as convenient. I think first I fully removed the compressor during a valve adjustment, plugging the disconnected hoses and tucking them out of the way.

Many years later, I removed the condenser (your car has a front one of these as well). Then a few years ago, partially inspired by (then) Amber Lamps' lightening efforts on his car, I removed all hoses, front condenser, basically everything I could. It's a lot of weight, in addition to cluttering things up.

Toughest part in all this (but worth doing eventually) was the bracket that holds the compressor that comes up near the oil pressure sender. I think I had to loosen the muffler and things like that to get enough wiggle room to get it out.

I saved everything, and everything was removed without damaging things.

So basically, you don't need a procedure, just start taking things out as you feel like it.

Quick Reply: 1985 911 Carrera Cab AC and Valve Covers