Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pops and burbles

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:50 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amber Gramps
AFR. Air Fuel Ratio. Cars that are too lean simply don't have unburned fuel going down the tubes.

Prove me wrong...
nice popcorn! Lol
if i were to adjust the mixture to try to get them pops would that damage the stock cat and/or cat bypass if engine is running too rich??
Old 08-25-2017, 09:35 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

AFR. Air Fuel Ratio. Cars that are too lean simply don't have unburned fuel going down the tubes.

Prove me wrong...

Just my theory anyway.... I think some cars have been so leaned out to pass smog that they run hot and they run lean and there is zero unburned fuel in the exhaust. My car runs so clean that I can run big injectors and still have stupid clean test results.
SOOOOOO - is there a way to play with the fuel mixture so I can get some pops and burbles?
Old 08-26-2017, 05:24 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1stgear
SOOOOOO - is there a way to play with the fuel mixture so I can get some pops and burbles?
Update:

I still am not sure about how or if its good to try to adjust the afr on your own. I heard it can be difficult.

anyhow, i just got back from getting a cat bypass swaped in place of the stock cat. Happy to report that with the cat bypass paired with the dansk sport 70mm one in one out i am now getting some pops on decel while in second gear. Shifting from 3rd to 2nd and rev matchjng i get those nice subtle pops. The cat bypass also added a little bit more noise to the overall exhaust sound. Same sounds just louder across rpm band.

overall im very pleased with the cat bypass.
Hopefully this can help someone out.
i coule probably have the afr tuned to get even more pops but im satisfied for now. I howver dont get so much of the burbling on idle that the older ones have i think thats somethjng 3.2s just inherently dont sound like.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:04 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

I howver dont get so much of the burbling on idle that the older ones have i think thats somethjng 3.2s just inherently dont sound like.
This is my 3rd 3.2. Both of my other one's popped and burbled like mad. This one has none. The other 2 cars were US versions. This one is ROW. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 AM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like I said before. The earlier SC motors have CIS, so I don't think it's the displacement of a later 3.2 that is killing the pops and burbles, it's the fuel system. Older CIS systems are pumping fuel constantly. So you are getting more raw fuel into the exhaust, therefore you are getting backfires... An over rich scenario.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:12 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Still pretending I didn't see this post.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:16 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Still pretending I didn't see this post.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:02 PM
grgallo
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by spreeleon
Was the Dansk sport much louder than stock muffler for you?
yes, , can't say "much" but, noticeable to me and so far no complaints from the neighbors

Quick Reply: Pops and burbles