Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Warped rotor and burned bearings

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:32 PM
dholland
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warped rotor and burned bearings

Here's one for Kreskin - bought my 88 Carrera 2 years ago and noticed an out of round rotor and bearing vibration about six months in. Decided to do full maintenance to all 4 corners - rebuilt calipers, new pads, new rotors, new brake lines, new fluid. Noticed warped rotor and bearing wear signs again about 6 months later. Dial indicator found an out of round RF rotor and again bad inner and outer bearing. Everything else looked fine. Replaced FR rotor and bearings, also replaced front calipers with new. Starting to see signs of a RF warped rotor again. Any ideas ? Bad spindle ?
Old 11-29-2003, 12:29 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

One of the first things I'd ask is what the inner race on the spindle looked like? Scored? Burned?

If the spindles are scored or damaged, the bearings will simply not live long (the inner races can spin) and its new strut time.

If you have a good digital camera, take some sharp close-ups and send them to me.

Lastly, incorrectly adjusted wheel bearings and/or ones packed with the wrong kind of grease will fail. We've used Swepco #101 Moly grease since 1978 with excellent results. If the bearings are adjusted too tightly, they do not last long at all.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:47 AM
dholland
Intermediate

Thanks Steve. Have inspected the spindle for wear and it too looks good. But, I will take some shots of it and send to you in the near future. Also, have adjusted the bearings according to spec.. I can move the washer behind the nut when complete. Using a grease (not sure of manufacturer) that has been used by my local porsche repair shop (Autohaus in Chatam, NJ) forever.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:42 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dholland, I hope you changed the bearing races when you changed the bearings. They need to be done in sets. Using an old race and a new bearing will cause many problems. Just a note in case you didn't. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:30 PM
dholland
Intermediate

Spider911, changed the bearings and races - both times! Thanks for the encouragement!

Quick Reply: Warped rotor and burned bearings