Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Question about selling through a car broker.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Headlands
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about selling through a car broker.

Especially for anyone has done both private sales and has gone through a broker to sell (NOT to buy -- I'm only talking about selling), do you feel that a good auto broker was worth it to you for the sale? They seem to be able to get more than private sales from what I understand, and some say a large amount of the commission is often paid for by the increased sale amount. If that's true then it would be worth it to not have to deal with low-ballers, etc., and all of the work involved in selling.

Last edited by Headlands; 08-04-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:42 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

That's a loaded question indeed. I will never buy from a used car salesman, but, there are many that will.

An additional issue is care for your consigned car sitting somewhere you aren't.
In my casual hunt for another air cooled coupe ('84-'86) I have run across a bunch of overpriced cars that just sit at these businesses.......but as the saying goes "there's an **** for every seat", it just won't be my ****.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:17 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

May be worth the $17 to post in the for sale section if we are talking about the car in your avatar. That car may not need a broker.

I used a broker to buy a one owner car. Was a much nicer car, was priced the same as all the other junk private sellers thought were gems, and had a credit union loan available to us we used then paid off in 10 months. Was a win/win. Broker called the owner several times with us there asking him our questions.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sold a 356 thru a (consignment) broker/dealer who handled all the details. Everyone was happy in the end. Of course, you need to know the reputation of the store!
Old 08-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Headlands
Advanced

Thanks for the responses, all.

Yes, it's the car in my avatar, which is a highly desirable color and is in quite amazing shape...maybe the best option is to post it here first and see what happens. I don't know where exactly to start as far as asking price, though I have a general idea.

In doing more research I've read about pros and cons to a broker, as well as pros and cons to doing it privately. The broker I'm considering is very well-respected and is not at all a cheeseball broker type.

I'm indecisive about these things.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:38 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd talk to Paul at Autokennel - he is as straight as they come, know's 911 market like the back of his hand. I personally think selling cars is a PITA even thought I do it a lot. If I was close to AK I'd list all my cars with him.

Phi

Quick Reply: Question about selling through a car broker.