Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Out State Purchases-The Typical Protocol?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:59 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out State Purchases-The Typical Protocol?

Gents, a few questions. I have agreed in principle to a Targa that is located in Florida, and I am in So Cal. I am in the process of arranging a PPI in the area where the car is at, which is outside Ft. Lauderdale (if anyone would be willing to swing by and look at the car and give me an idea and their thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it, and/or recommend a good place for a PPI).

I have never done a purchase like this before being out of state. What is the correct sequence? Can I trust a comprehensive inspection, sight unseen? When do I pay the present owner, prior to shipping arrangements? What's my recourse, etc? What shipping companies can you recommend?

If someone can give me a run down on what to do, I would appreciate it. Below is the car. I'm trying to verfiy the color. The owner purchased the car from TruSpeed in Newport Beach 4 years ago and lists the color as "Mystic Blue", but I have never heard of this color. My contact at a dealer thinks it's Prussian Blue. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thank you all.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7356/overview/
Old 07-25-2017, 03:03 PM
09mageec
Racer

To me, that looks like Prussian Blue. Mystic Blue is a BMW color, I wasn't aware of Porsche ever having this name.

-Cam
Old 07-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 185 Posts

If losing $35k would be a large sum of money for you, I would spend the $1000 and a weekend to go see the car in person, wire the money and receive the title on the spot. I would also consider an escrow service, which are becoming more popular. If that seller is a reputable business, I would be less concerned... but only less. I would probably buy a $5k car sight unseen, but that's my threshold. I understand many in this community have a much higher threshold.

Scams have gotten more elaborate in the last few years. I saw a story about a soft window targa that was "purchased" sight unseen across the country. The seller had hundreds of pictures of the car and even staged a fake phone call where the caller claimed to be the PPI shop giving the all clear. in the end, the car never showed up, and when the guy called the PPI shop back, they said the car had never actually been in for inspection. The seller's business location turned out to be fake as well. You can't be too careful these days.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:41 PM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
If losing $35k would be a large sum of money for you, I would spend the $1000 and a weekend to go see the car in person, wire the money and receive the title on the spot. I would also consider an escrow service, which are becoming more popular. If that seller is a reputable business, I would be less concerned... but only less. I would probably buy a $5k car sight unseen, but that's my threshold. I understand many in this community have a much higher threshold.

Scams have gotten more elaborate in the last few years. I saw a story about a soft window targa that was "purchased" sight unseen across the country. The seller had hundreds of pictures of the car and even staged a fake phone call where the caller claimed to be the PPI shop giving the all clear. in the end, the car never showed up, and when the guy called the PPI shop back, they said the car had never actually been in for inspection. The seller's business location turned out to be fake as well. You can't be too careful these days.
Thank you. Yes, $35K is a large amount to me and I was leaning towards doing it the way you suggested.

Now, would you drive it all the way back, or, ship it?
Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 185 Posts

I would probably ship it, but there's and adventure to be had in bonding with it.... I'm sure you'll get both suggestions.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Ctopher
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurzheck
Now, would you drive it all the way back, or, ship it?
Kurzheck I may be in similar boat as you...looking at getting a PPI in San Francisco and am planning on flying up if the PPI is good and buy in person and take the long road back to Round Rock, TX. It could be a risk with lots of headaches but as mentioned it's a great way to bond with the car and have some great memories.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 PM
union
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a car from out of state and before arranging anything else, I had the seller first send me a picture of the title, VIN and his license. When that checked out, I scheduled a PPI. Have someone FaceTime you when the car is at the shop. If it passes and you don't wanna fly, I sent a cashier check to the seller and he overnight me the title. Waited a few days for the trucking company for pickup and a week later the car arrived. Maybe I got lucky but talk to the seller. If the deal feels uneasy, pass or fly down like everyone said.

Love the color but if that's not an original Porsche color I'm surprised you can't find another targa in the West Coast for that amount.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 PM
JCGMS
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought an 87 Carrera in PA and I live in FL. Spoke extensively with seller on phone and email. He said all the right things and seemed like a serious enthusiast (with a pelican forums post trail to prove it). Sent $500 deposit via eBay (business payment not friends and family) to "hold" the car and show I was serious. PPI performed at a shop recommended by his region PCA president (this is a great way to check up on the seller too). I flew up to PA with check in hand. At his house he put the car up on the lift and went over the car bit by bit. Records going back to original window sticker included. Packed up the back seat and frunk with boxes of spare parts and took the 26h scenic route back to Miami. Car didn't skip a beat. It ended up being a great buying experience and an adventure of a trip.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Someone posted a link to that car a couple days ago.......well....to three cars, that being one of them. I like it. Same OP? .,...or is someone poaching?

Edit:. Same OP. I like it.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:14 AM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Originally Posted by union

Love the color but if that's not an original Porsche color I'm surprised you can't find another targa in the West Coast for that amount.

The car is indeed S4 (Prussian Blue). I think he got the description mixed up with a Bimmer color. The Prussian Blue on a Targa is not a common color, and I was after this color. I think if I wait for a Cali car, it may never pop up. Tons of Guards Red, Grand Prix Whites, etc, but not this.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:17 AM
Kurzheck
Instructor

I'm definitely going to fly out if the PPI checks out, and my buddy who works for a Porsche dealer wants to drive it back with me, so it should be fun if we do it.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:20 AM
Kurzheck
Instructor

Carfax is clean (FWIW). I would be the 4th owner. The present owner bought the car from TruSpeed not long before they closed (approx 4 years ago?).
Old 07-26-2017, 12:33 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car. I'm not sure I would enjoy driving it cross country this time of year due to Porsche's idea of A/C, but it would certainly be something to remember.
Hope you enjoy it.

I bought my 1984 911 on Ebay, sight unseen, although with many pictures. All it's life it was a California car, and I was in Georgia and couldn't get off work. I used an escrow service and seller arranged shipping. All went well.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:20 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

I have purchased multiple cars that are always on the wrong coast from me. I know I am picky..... but the sellers description of the cars have never aligned with my view once I see them in person. This was after I specifically asked questions and they specifically say;" like new, perfect, concourse condition, exceptional etc."

As others have stated, spend the money and fly out to assure you are not disappointed. It looks like a good looking car, love the color but take some time to dig for rust especially near back window, rear floor pans, under rear seats since it's a Targa.

Regarding PPI- make sure you take it somewhere that knows air-cooled cars. A Porsche dealer or mechanic , unless they are old like me, have minimal exposure to aircooled P cars. Good luck, hope this works out for you.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

regarding color- have them send you a photo of the paint tag to confirm if this is PTS or a random color a previous owner wanted.

You may want to see photos of engine compartment and frunk before you head out to see it in person to assure they are the same as body color. If it's not and you are still interested, you can use that as negotiation on the price.

Shipping FL to SCAl , enclosed is $1,400 -$1,500

Quick Reply: Out State Purchases-The Typical Protocol?