Needed: used 993 caliper dust seals

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Needed: used 993 caliper dust seals

I am in the process of re-building my calipers. To date, I've stripped & bead blasted each caliper, and intend to bring them to a local powdercoater soon.

I would like to supply him with a full set of piston dust seals in order to keep the groove free of powdercoat. Unfortunately, I destroyed a number of mine before figuring out how easy it is to pry them from the grooves.

Please let me know what you have. Partial or complete sets - I'll gladly pay shipping.

Andreas
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 778 Likes on 506 Posts

He should be able to mask them for you without you providing anything.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM
Pete Debusmann
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Buy them new here:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/Brembo/Consumables.htm
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
He should be able to mask them for you without you providing anything.
I understand that, but if I can influence the end result in a positive way, I try.

Originally Posted by Pete Debusmann
Have a full set sitting on my bench. I'm looking for used ones that I can toss after powdercoating.

Andreas
Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 778 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I understand that, but if I can influence the end result in a positive way, I try.
Or in a negative way when some brake fluid seaps out and ruins the finish. Let the powder coater do what they do and mask the bores.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Or in a negative way when some brake fluid seaps out and ruins the finish. Let the powder coater do what they do and mask the bores.

Matt,
Thanks for the insight, but I'm pretty meticulous with my mechanical work, and in particular, this project. I know that powdercoaters tend to have a slew of silicone plugs and such to ensure that threaded holes and other cavities are plugged, but in this case, I simply wanted to make sure that the dust seal groove (not the piston seal groove) remains free from any powdercoat (hence the desire to provide them with seals that can be tossed). I've seen numerous powdercoated calipers where the powdercoater simply masked the entire rectangle around two pistons - that's not what I'm looking for.

In order to completely bead blast the caliper, I purchased tapered rubber plugs that fit each piston bore. Then I assembled a threaded spreader to keep constant pressure between two opposing pistons. The last thing I wanted is damage to a piston bore.

I have the complete set of Zeckhausen-sourced piston & dust seals at home and have also ordered the complete Brembo piston/seal/seal kit from Porsche. So I'm taking this rather seriously.

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 03-15-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what, are you some kind of neat freak?!

You are sending them to the powder coater stripped of seals and pistons I hope.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurt M
what, are you some kind of neat freak?!

You are sending them to the powder coater stripped of seals and pistons I hope.
See my revised response to Matt.

But, yes, I am.

Andreas
Old 03-16-2011, 08:43 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Admitting it is the first step....
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Admitting it is the first step....
I have been in your shop. And I felt at ease there.

Andreas
Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Ok, you got me there....
Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete Debusmann
I had my calipers rebuilt last year using those seals and my calipers were still sticking. I sent them off to a guy who Brembo NA recommended (along w a Brembo rebuild kit from Sunset which included Brembo seals and pistons) and here was part of the email I got from him after he finished them, which was only in a few days:

"Before I started on you caliper I tried to push the pistons back and WOW were they tight, I now understand the issues that you were having because I also checked the caliper for release and it was again tight, so yes you were not kidding that your calipers were sticking. To check this I have a steel block that weighs about 1.5 lbs and I put the block in the caliper and run a presser check to 500 lbs when I release the presser the block should just fall out on its own but it did not I had to force it out. After the service I presser check the calipers to 1000 lbs in water for leaks and at this time the release is checked and now they are perfect, the block falls out very free, this is how every race caliper should preform.

I believe your issues come from the calipers not having standard Brembo parts, the seal kit that were in the calipers are from Stop Tech and the size of the seals were very inconsistent some were to big and wide by up to .010 so to put it simple the Stop Tech seals were to tight. With my years working for Brembo I know for a fact that the level of quality that they put into the seals are second to none they machine their seals to a proper size and go through a 6 step proses of QC before they allow them in the system for caliper building.

John Hayworth
Hayworth Racing Brakes, LLC
(Office) 1-336-869-5511"

He does a lot of work for the NASCAR guys and really knows his brakes. Not affiliated, first time I used his services, but was very impressed. He even sent me pics of the work being done on my calipers....pretty small job to do that IMO. http://www.hayworthracingbrakes.com/
Old 03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by forklift
I had my calipers rebuilt last year using those seals and my calipers were still sticking. I sent them off to a guy who Brembo NA recommended (along w a Brembo rebuild kit from Sunset which included Brembo seals and pistons) and here was part of the email I got from him after he finished them, which was only in a few days:

"Before I started on you caliper I tried to push the pistons back and WOW were they tight, I now understand the issues that you were having because I also checked the caliper for release and it was again tight, so yes you were not kidding that your calipers were sticking. To check this I have a steel block that weighs about 1.5 lbs and I put the block in the caliper and run a presser check to 500 lbs when I release the presser the block should just fall out on its own but it did not I had to force it out. After the service I presser check the calipers to 1000 lbs in water for leaks and at this time the release is checked and now they are perfect, the block falls out very free, this is how every race caliper should preform.

I believe your issues come from the calipers not having standard Brembo parts, the seal kit that were in the calipers are from Stop Tech and the size of the seals were very inconsistent some were to big and wide by up to .010 so to put it simple the Stop Tech seals were to tight. With my years working for Brembo I know for a fact that the level of quality that they put into the seals are second to none they machine their seals to a proper size and go through a 6 step proses of QC before they allow them in the system for caliper building.

John Hayworth
Hayworth Racing Brakes, LLC
(Office) 1-336-869-5511"

He does a lot of work for the NASCAR guys and really knows his brakes. Not affiliated, first time I used his services, but was very impressed. He even sent me pics of the work being done on my calipers....pretty small job to do that IMO. http://www.hayworthracingbrakes.com/
Jim,
Fantastic contribution - thank you. I feel better about ordering the full-boat set from Porsche the other day.

Haven't heard back from Zeckhausen regarding a return though...

Andreas
Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Having used both aftermarket kits and genuine Porsche I will stay with the Porsche kits when available. YMMV.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:47 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Having used both aftermarket kits and genuine Porsche I will stay with the Porsche kits when available. YMMV.
The items I have on order from Porsche are actual Brembo pistons/piston seals/dust seals. That sits well with me.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Needed: used 993 caliper dust seals