Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

TPMS failure 21 GT4

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 02:08 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast-Eddie
Found this on NHTSA related to campaign WMD2, which is only an interim solution.... FWIW.

Some excerpts:
  • "To avoid this, as an interim solution until new components are available, the wheel electronics must be taught using the PIWIS Tester."
  • "This workshop campaign will be carried out up to 04/22/2026 and will be closed by the specied date. Please note that warranty claims can only be processed before this date."
Found an updated bulletin which replaces the above in my prior post... I found this on page 2:
  • Please note that manual tire selection using the instrument cluster can cause the error described to occur again. Pass this information on to the customer as well.
  • If the WMD2 campaign has already been carried out and the error occurs again (i.e. if the customer changes a wheel again), TI-No. 226/20 can be invoiced under new vehicle warranty
Not sure what "manual tire selection" means, but I assume it is when you select Summer or Winter tires, which causes the system to try to learn new sensors again, and hence the resulting fault.

This is the latest bulletin I found, dated July, 21, 2021. It still refers to campaign WMD2 as an INTERIM solution -- I assume a permanent solution is still in the works, but I'll check with my service tech next week.

Last edited by Fast-Eddie; 09-30-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:18 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Temps would be great....the sensor already collect the temps and with a PIWIS you can see them.
BMW shows the temps.
​​​​@jmartpr Seems like the 992 Turbo has a temp display in addition to pressure, as in a bar graph flanking the pressures... see the post on the 992 Turbo forum here... Interesting!
Old 10-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Found an updated bulletin which replaces the above in my prior post... I found this on page 2:
  • Please note that manual tire selection using the instrument cluster can cause the error described to occur again. Pass this information on to the customer as well.
Not sure what "manual tire selection" means, but I assume it is when you select Summer or Winter tires, which causes the system to try to learn new sensors again, and hence the resulting fault.

This is the latest bulletin I found, dated July, 21, 2021. It still refers to campaign WMD2 as an INTERIM solution -- I assume a permanent solution is still in the works, but I'll check with my service tech next week.
UPDATE: Oct 4, 2021
  • I had my service tech re-run campaign WMD2 to re-teach wheels IDs and this has corrected my TPMS fault thus far. I also had him capture the actual Wheels IDs and positions in case I run into this fault again. (Thanks to @jmartpr for the suggestion)
  • Last week, after I had my wheels swapped, I had service run this campaign to teach the TPMS to avert this error, but I received the error within about 6-7 miles of driving home. At the time, I noted that the TPMS display was showing "Measure Runs", which never completed and ultimately threw a fault.
  • As I reflect back, I vaguely recall that I got in the car, dialed up to TPMS display and of course it says "pressures display after 15 mph" as normal. But then I recall checking the Tire Type sub-menu, which correctly showed the 20" Summer Tires were selected. BUT, I think I pushed the stalk forward (WRONG) instead of back to exit that sub-menu. Pushing the stalk forward confirms the 20" Summer Tire option, and even though it is already selected, it causes the TPM module to try to re-learn the wheel IDs, which is where the fault lies. The current TPM software is incapable of learning wheels IDs on its own and hence it will throw a fault after roughly 10KM or 6-7 miles.
  • Campaign WMD2 is only a work-around for the inability of the TPM module to learn wheel IDs and positions.
  • I didn't get any word on when an actual fix may be available... but as this campaign is scope as 67 TU (roughly an hour of labor), I would think PAG is going to be feeling the pain of all these service hours for this niggling problem, and will hopefully get a permanent resolution out (my wishful thinking only)

ADVICE:
  1. DO NOT manually select tire type if you are susceptible for this fault. If you go into the "Tire Type" sub-menu, make sure to exit by pulling stalk back towards you. If you push forward, it initiates learning mode, which will ultimately fail at this time.
  2. If you do need to have campaign WMD2 performed, ask your service advisor or tech to capture the Wheel IDs and positions from PIWIS, in case you encounter the fault again. (The campaign takes about an hour, but apparently you can re-enter wheel IDs in a matter of minutes in the event of a fault or wheel swap

Hope this helps !
The following 3 users liked this post by Fast-Eddie:
nothingman (10-04-2021), StilettoPat (10-05-2021), UncleDude (10-04-2021)
Old 10-04-2021, 05:06 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,508 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Very informative post Eddie - I've saved it in case I have this problem when I throw the winter wheels on next week.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:25 PM
nothingman
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 93 Posts

ADVICE:
  1. DO NOT manually select tire type if you are susceptible for this fault. If you go into the "Tire Type" sub-menu, make sure to exit by pulling stalk back towards you. If you push forward, it initiates learning mode, which will ultimately fail at this time.
Thank-you for the details and advice. The only thing I'm unclear on is what am I currently supposed to do if I switch over to a winter/track wheel set that have it's own TPMS sensors installed? Is there a way to associate the new TPMS sensors without initiating learning mode?
Old 10-04-2021, 05:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,747 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingman
Thank-you for the details and advice. The only thing I'm unclear on is what am I currently supposed to do if I switch over to a winter/track wheel set that have it's own TPMS sensors installed? Is there a way to associate the new TPMS sensors without initiating learning mode?
A switch of tires/sensors requires the learn mode be activated...
Old 10-04-2021, 10:25 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

I have my TPMS ID number of a piece of paper so every time I swap back from track wheels I just have to enter these numbers on the corresponding location, 5 minute thing with a PIWIS.
One thing that is not clear is that the system can read the IDs of new wheels....when I go from the OEM wheels to the track wheels these are recognize and work perfectly, even in race mode. The problem surfaces when I go back to OEM....it can't read or save the original ID numbers.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:49 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Originally Posted by nothingman
Calling @lovetoturn ??? Our mutual service tech informed me that you were go back and forth with your 19" track wheels and OEM 20" and that you weren't having any TPMS issues... True? If so, what is your method? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:17 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

The bean counters must have been turned loose on the TPMS module...slower, flakier...but probably less costly.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:03 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,148 Likes on 561 Posts

Yes I have not had issues yet. My track wheels are Forgeline 19s with Huf TPMS sensors. They appear to be the same ones that Porsches uses as you can spend more money to get the same part but branded as the Porsche OEM. I would suspect that these parts are possibly not subject to the same problems that everyone is talking about here???

Maybe buying new TPMS sensors and having them installed on the OEM rims could solve the problem. I bummer to spend money on this when Porsche should be responsible for it. Maybe one could purchase the new parts ($150) and get Porsche to pay for the installation?? Still not sure this would solve the problem, but just my thoughts on this issue.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:35 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Yes I have not had issues yet. My track wheels are Forgeline 19s with Huf TPMS sensors. They appear to be the same ones that Porsches uses as you can spend more money to get the same part but branded as the Porsche OEM. I would suspect that these parts are possibly not subject to the same problems that everyone is talking about here???

Maybe buying new TPMS sensors and having them installed on the OEM rims could solve the problem. I bummer to spend money on this when Porsche should be responsible for it. Maybe one could purchase the new parts ($150) and get Porsche to pay for the installation?? Still not sure this would solve the problem, but just my thoughts on this issue.

You may be into something.....this track weekend I used my Cup 2 on OEM wheels on Saturday and then switched to 19" Forgelines with Huff sensor on Sunday.
I was able to engage track mode on Saturday (OEM Wheels/tires) but as soon as I tried to go back out of track mode the problems started.
I forgot to reset everything for Sunday with the PIWIS and the problem was still there. Decided to just leave the TPMS light ON and forget about it.
Switched to the Forgelines and guess what....the system was back to normal, was reading pressures and was able to use track mode. I was even able to switch the system back and forth from Race to Normal mode.
I may be tempted to try a set of Huff TPMS sensors on the OEM wheels.
Of course as soon as I switched back to OEM for the trip back home the system error was back.....
Old 10-11-2021, 11:02 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,747 Likes on 2,759 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn

Originally Posted by jmartpr
You may be into something.....this track weekend I used my Cup 2 on OEM wheels on Saturday and then switched to 19" Forgelines with Huff sensor on Sunday.
I was able to engage track mode on Saturday (OEM Wheels/tires) but as soon as I tried to go back out of track mode the problems started.
I forgot to reset everything for Sunday with the PIWIS and the problem was still there. Decided to just leave the TPMS light ON and forget about it.
Switched to the Forgelines and guess what....the system was back to normal, was reading pressures and was able to use track mode. I was even able to switch the system back and forth from Race to Normal mode.
I may be tempted to try a set of Huff TPMS sensors on the OEM wheels.
Of course as soon as I switched back to OEM for the trip back home the system error was back.....
Are we talking about Huf RDE047V21 or Huf Intellisens UVS4040 ? Huf lists both of these for use with the 718 GTS/GT4/Spyder.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:38 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Are we talking about Huf RDE047V21 or Huf Intellisens UVS4040 ? Huf lists both of these for use with the 718 GTS/GT4/Spyder.
I don't remember right now which one I ordered for the Forgelines.....
Old 10-12-2021, 12:45 PM
SCHUTZEE
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same nonsense over and over. The dealer did a reset and a few weeks later the system fails. I never attempted to use race mode as I know that will crash the system. Porsche NA couldn’t care less. Multiple calls l and they never get back to me. The front line people are completely clueless. I hade to explain twice what TPMS is. I am very disappointed with way this has been mishandled. I expect more for a car this expensive. Perhaps we need a class action lawsuit to wake them up ?

Last edited by SCHUTZEE; 10-20-2021 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:42 PM
smegman
Burning Brakes

Received 695 Likes on 299 Posts

UPDATE: Oct 4, 2021
  • I had my service tech re-run campaign WMD2 to re-teach wheels IDs and this has corrected my TPMS fault thus far. I also had him capture the actual Wheels IDs and positions in case I run into this fault again. (Thanks to @jmartpr for the suggestion)
  • Last week, after I had my wheels swapped, I had service run this campaign to teach the TPMS to avert this error, but I received the error within about 6-7 miles of driving home. At the time, I noted that the TPMS display was showing "Measure Runs", which never completed and ultimately threw a fault.
  • As I reflect back, I vaguely recall that I got in the car, dialed up to TPMS display and of course it says "pressures display after 15 mph" as normal. But then I recall checking the Tire Type sub-menu, which correctly showed the 20" Summer Tires were selected. BUT, I think I pushed the stalk forward (WRONG) instead of back to exit that sub-menu. Pushing the stalk forward confirms the 20" Summer Tire option, and even though it is already selected, it causes the TPM module to try to re-learn the wheel IDs, which is where the fault lies. The current TPM software is incapable of learning wheels IDs on its own and hence it will throw a fault after roughly 10KM or 6-7 miles.
  • Campaign WMD2 is only a work-around for the inability of the TPM module to learn wheel IDs and positions.
  • I didn't get any word on when an actual fix may be available... but as this campaign is scope as 67 TU (roughly an hour of labor), I would think PAG is going to be feeling the pain of all these service hours for this niggling problem, and will hopefully get a permanent resolution out (my wishful thinking only)

ADVICE:
  2. If you do need to have campaign WMD2 performed, ask your service advisor or tech to capture the Wheel IDs and positions from PIWIS, in case you encounter the fault again. (The campaign takes about an hour, but apparently you can re-enter wheel IDs in a matter of minutes in the event of a fault or wheel swap

Hope this helps !
This crap happened to me when I switched out my tires... they are filled to the mfg spec 29/33 but for some reason the monitors want the tires to be at 36/36

no clue how to fix it so I guess I'll waste some time at the dealer when I have a free moment

2022 GT4 btw

Last edited by smegman; 11-02-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Quick Reply: TPMS failure 21 GT4