Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Best way to tape track day and spirited drives GT4RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 03:05 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

I use 2-3 iphones. 2 mounted on the windshiled with a quality windhshield mount and plugged in. 1 uses Harry's Lap Timer, and the other uses Porsche Track Percision app. Harry's works 80% of the time, and Track Percision works 50% of the time. I also mount one behind my shoulder on the cross bar.

I prefer the iphone apps because I get instant feedback and easy to export videos.

My buddy uses the Garmin Catalyst which seems to have become the HPDE standard.

The following users liked this post:
BoxKing (08-28-2024)
Old 08-28-2024, 03:47 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
I use 2-3 iphones. 2 mounted on the windshiled with a quality windhshield mount and plugged in. 1 uses Harry's Lap Timer, and the other uses Porsche Track Percision app. Harry's works 80% of the time, and Track Percision works 50% of the time. I also mount one behind my shoulder on the cross bar.

I prefer the iphone apps because I get instant feedback and easy to export videos.

My buddy uses the Garmin Catalyst which seems to have become the HPDE standard.
Catalyst is great for sure. Track precision is awesome when it actually works.

Old 08-28-2024, 06:48 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,549 Likes on 863 Posts

I use the Garmin Catalyst. The Camera is pretty high quality and i bought a suction cup mount for it so i can take it off when needed rather than the tape mount for the camera that it comes with. Currently i'm deciding between 2 mounting options for the unit itself. First one is from Anima Motorsports which has a mount attached to the side of the PCM where the trim is. The Second option is from a company who's name escapes me right now but it mounts onto the trim near the shifter and i can mount my Catalyst on that.
Old 08-28-2024, 07:05 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,120 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson
I assume you're mounting it on the luggage bar? What sort of mount?
My rear dashcam is mounted to my roll cage but when I use the Insta360 or Gopro I use one of these with an extension and clamp it to the luggage bar: https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B09C882...sin_title&th=1

Here is a video I made with the Insta360 using that mount.
fasteddie99 (08-29-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 09:50 PM
isthar
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Did I see someone say POV doesn't usually come out great?

(not me)

I think using a linear rather than super wide gives a better sensation of speed, of course with less of the scenery.
fasteddie99 (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 08:20 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 233 Posts

The Catalyst will only work on a track, so no good for spirited drives. And it’s for so much more than video recording, which it seems is what the OP is interested in. An app like Harry’s is really only sufficient for beginner drivers, as the GPS isn’t really accurate enough for thorough analysis.
Old 09-01-2024, 06:49 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,120 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSFX
The Catalyst will only work on a track, so no good for spirited drives. And it’s for so much more than video recording, which it seems is what the OP is interested in. An app like Harry’s is really only sufficient for beginner drivers, as the GPS isn’t really accurate enough for thorough analysis.
With an external GPS module Harry's is extremely accurate. 1Hz Phone GPS is very poor but a 10 or 25Hz external receiver completely transforms the accuracy of phone based apps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reedy:
BoxKing (09-01-2024), Mike981S (09-05-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 08:03 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 511 Posts

Track apps are only worth their grain of salt when paired with an external GPS. My take on the Catalyst is these units are suited or those who track >6 times a year, and have been moved on to Solo driving. Having a unit like a Catalyst in the car in a novice/intermediate run group while you’re still learning the basics, still struggling with running somewhat smooth laps (consistency) with proper lines, still learning proper pedal management and balance of the car is just not worth the $1000, vs. spending that money on more seat time. Not to mention, the last thing one should be doing at this level is focusing on their delta, all while being yelled at by a virtual coach, and its gotta **** off your instructor (or most). What it is good for when used by novice/intermediate drivers is post session video review with your instructor (with the coach feature turning off during your session), since this should be its primary use, my setup above for $250 is equal to this. Someone in these run groups should hold off on buying a Garmin.. you’re (like myself) 1-2 years+ away from being behind the wheel solo’d, and at that time, they might have a Catalyst v.2-v.3…

As for @*911* - a GoPro or like action camera is 100% all he/she/they need. Hit me up if you want a great deal on a GoPro Hero 12 Black. I have a virtually brand new setup Im willing to sell, with tons of extras adding over $500+ kit, for $300.
Mike981S (09-05-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 08:52 AM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
My take on the Catalyst is these units are suited or those who track >6 times a year, and have been moved on to Solo driving. Having a unit like a Catalyst in the car in a novice/intermediate run group while you’re still learning the basics, still struggling with running somewhat smooth laps (consistency) with proper lines, still learning proper pedal management and balance of the car is just not worth the $1000, vs. spending that money on more seat time. Not to mention, the last thing one should be doing at this level is focusing on their delta, all while being yelled at by a virtual coach, and its gotta **** off your instructor (or most). What it is good for when used by novice/intermediate drivers is post session video review with your instructor (with the coach feature turning off during your session), since this should be its primary use, my setup above for $250 is equal to this. Someone in these run groups should hold off on buying a Garmin.. you’re (like myself) 1-2 years+ away from being behind the wheel solo’d, and at that time, they might have a Catalyst v.2-v.3…
I couldn’t disagree with you more. As an instructor, I can absolutely get you better, faster, with a Catalyst. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone that goes once a year just for fun, but it is absolutely a beneficial tool while you still have an instructor in the car. The app that pairs with it is extremely powerful, and what many people that own one completely miss out on. I’ve never met an instructor that got “pissed off” if their student had a Catalyst, so very much doubt that “most” would agree with you.
TDT (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 01:11 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSFX
I couldn’t disagree with you more. As an instructor, I can absolutely get you better, faster, with a Catalyst. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone that goes once a year just for fun, but it is absolutely a beneficial tool while you still have an instructor in the car. The app that pairs with it is extremely powerful, and what many people that own one completely miss out on. I’ve never met an instructor that got “pissed off” if their student had a Catalyst, so very much doubt that “most” would agree with you.
Post session review of the video footage would be extremely beneficial to all experience levels. Though I see no benefit of any real time data acquisition tool to be displayed in car with a novice driver, including myself. I either rely on the RaceBox to gather data without the need for my phone in the car, or I’m using it paired with my phone thats recording/overlaying data for post session review; both without any live visual aids such as lap times/delta. I used the live visual aid once, and found it distracting, especially when Im still training my eyes to look ahead.

I’ve discussed the use of a Catalyst with several instructors in my region, and all have frowned upon the use due to the reasons I listed, which I agree with. My first ever instructor would have ripped this unit out of my car! I’ll 100% be looking into a Catalyst once I’m not getting free instruction (and only a v.2), I do see the value, but the guy/gal sitting next to me is donating their valuable time, and I for one would rather be hyper focused on their real-time input over an AI that’s trying to clean up my sectors for better lap times.

The underlying point I was getting at with track data acquisition was… $250, or $1000

Back to the thread, a GoPro is your best bet.
Old 09-01-2024, 01:57 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 131 Posts

The Catalyst actually doesn't make it as easy to focus on the data IMO. It instead focuses on 3 actionable items per session. If you really want to review and get lost in data, AiM is better for that. So I think the simplicity is what makes Catalyst good for many. Also a lot easier to make a video later with synced data overlays for the student to review later (with or without an instructor). That ease of use makes it worthwhile to me!

I do not use the live suggestions while driving anymore, I find that it's too distracting for me.

Last edited by vantage; 09-01-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Nickshu (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 03:20 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I’ve discussed the use of a Catalyst with several instructors in my region, and all have frowned upon the use due to the reasons I listed, which I agree with. My first ever instructor would have ripped this unit out of my car! I’ll 100% be looking into a Catalyst once I’m not getting free instruction (and only a v.2), I do see the value, but the guy/gal sitting next to me is donating their valuable time, and I for one would rather be hyper focused on their real-time input over an AI that’s trying to clean up my sectors for better lap times.
I get that a beginner can be distracted by the real-time display, which is why the Catalyst comes with a setting to have the screen not display anything, just like the coaching that can be turned off. So you can be both hyper focused on what your instructor is teaching you, and have the valuable information to review in between sessions or back at home.

You definitely get more out of a $1000 Catalyst than any $250 option. Whether or not a driver finds that information worth $750 will obviously vary, so it’s definitely not for everyone. I wouldn’t suggest it for someone going to their first track day, but if I get into a beginners car and they already have one, I’m going to be happy it’s there versus wanting to rip it out.

None or that is what the OP is asking for, so I agree that they are better off just buying a GoPro, especially since the Catalyst won’t even work on their spirited drives.

Quick Reply: Best way to tape track day and spirited drives GT4RS