Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Security of Spyder top when parking on the street

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 12:08 AM
bgpman
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Security of Spyder top when parking on the street

Trying to figure out if the Spyder RS would be an option for me.

I like the idea of a slightly softer ride, slightly more distant induction, and could probably live with slightly worse rear vis (top up). Live in the Pacific Northwest so would probably leave the top up and could probably live with not using the trunk (much).

My biggest question is, is the top secure for street parking? It seems like even the base Spyder if you know how you could start unclipping and the RS has pull tabs? Not sure if that's universal.

Seems like someone could cut the top to get in - is that accurate? Would the alarm go off?

And/or if they just started unclipping the roof to get in under the back of it, would that work without it being released inside? Would the alarm go off?

Generally do people feel safe street parking it and it not being more of a "target" than a 911 cab which (I think) has harder plate tops?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2024, 12:15 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 230 Posts

Any fabric top convertible can be cut. The alarm will go off if the pull tabs are used and the car is locked. And the interior sensors should kick the alarm off if the roof were cut and someone tried to get in. It’s goin to be no different than any other fabric roof.
Old 07-03-2024, 12:19 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,434 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I still think they’d just break the window. I’ve never felt “insecure” and I’ve parked it (overnight sometimes) in many exposed areas.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 12:23 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,120 Likes on 666 Posts

Not sure if the 718 has interior sensors, but the 911 does and any movement inside the car once activated and the alarm starts screaming as well as a ping to your porsche app.
Old 07-03-2024, 03:21 AM
Spyder_NL
AutoX

Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bgpman

I like the idea of a slightly softer ride, slightly more distant induction, and could probably live with slightly worse rear vis (top up). Live in the Pacific Northwest so would probably leave the top up and could probably live with not using the trunk (much).

My biggest question is, is the top secure for street parking? It seems like even the base Spyder if you know how you could start unclipping and the RS has pull tabs? Not sure if that's universal.

Seems like someone could cut the top to get in - is that accurate? Would the alarm go off?

And/or if they just started unclipping the roof to get in under the back of it, would that work without it being released inside? Would the alarm go off?

Generally do people feel safe street parking it and it not being more of a "target" than a 911 cab which (I think) has harder plate tops?

Thanks
The alarm of the SRS will activate when someone pulls the tabs/loops of the roof when locked. The roof main clasp at the windshield has no lock too, so with a small cut you can remove the whole top. The alarm would activate of course, so it's not more stealth than breaking a window on a coupe?
Old 07-03-2024, 09:07 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,720 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Thanks
The comparison comments at top…what are they in relation to? Softer ride, reduced induction, rear visibility…?

I don’t think a 911 or 718 Cab has “plate top”. They are multi layered and insulated fabric tops. The Spyder and Spyder RS are single layer canvas.

Street parking? You mean like daily?

Maybe look at a Boxster GTS for better Seattle manners, the RS ain’t that.

Oh, and why wouldn’t you be able to use the trunk much?

Last edited by TXshaggy; 07-03-2024 at 09:21 AM.
Larry Cable (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 11:03 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

It's a convertible, same as any other convertible; inherently easy to get into.

You don't leave anything of value in a convertible, at least in the cabin. Heck, in any car in an area which exposes it to break in.
The following 2 users liked this post by Adrift:
Larry Cable (07-03-2024), MrFunk (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 12:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,728 Likes on 5,123 Posts

If someone wants to vandalize your car, or pilfer what's inside, they'll do it, regardless of whether it's a convertible soft top or hardtop, or just a regular car.

Humans, there's no stopping them.
Old 07-03-2024, 12:58 PM
coldfire
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 58 Posts

I had a Spyder, and have no additional concerns parking the SRS somewhere. Even leaving the back part open, most people walking by won't notice and just think it's a convertible top.

I would not park the SRS anywhere I wouldn't feel comfortable parking, say, a GT4 RS or similar. Has nothing to do with the top (I'm more worried about door dings and general vandalism).
Old 07-03-2024, 01:29 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 523 Likes on 293 Posts

Thanks
As previously stated, when the car is locked, the alarm will sound if the pull tabs are released.

More importantly, what do you mean by street parking?

For example, do you live in a city and intend to park your Spyder RS on a public street for a permanent daily and overnight parking solution?
—> This is absolutely not advisable. I think we can all agree Spyder RS isn’t a car for this.

Or by street parking do you mean occasional stops and parking in parallel parking spots while you’re at breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a shopping center?

—> What would make Spyder RS any different in this scenario than any of your other cars? Do you have other luxury cars that you are careful with when you park in these scenarios? The same would apply to Spyder RS — except the highest of public parking standards should apply to Spyder RS (like only the best spots where nobody is closely adjacent, valet guy doesn’t drive it, etc)

Look. Bad people generally don’t steal car radios anymore. Even some homeless people seem to have smartphones. People generally aren’t breaking into cars these days in the US during the day or during dinner hours in a good area where there are people around. Where will the Spyder RS be parked while you’re shopping or out for breakfast lunch or dinner? In a high crime locality or in a good-to-high class area?

Obviously, it is not recommended to park a car like Spyder RS outside anywhere overnight that isn’t your hotel while on a road trip; and even then, steps need to be taken. Other than that, I don’t see how the convertible top features are a factor here if you want to park the car smartly in a good area during hours when there are people around and businesses operating. If you own other luxury cars and have experience being as careful as you can, then I think this is a moot point.

Last edited by 348SStb; 07-03-2024 at 01:33 PM.
Mike981S (07-03-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 02:02 AM
bgpman
Track Day

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
The comparison comments at top…what are they in relation to? Softer ride, reduced induction, rear visibility…?

I don’t think a 911 or 718 Cab has “plate top”. They are multi layered and insulated fabric tops. The Spyder and Spyder RS are single layer canvas.

Street parking? You mean like daily?

Maybe look at a Boxster GTS for better Seattle manners, the RS ain’t that.

Have tried the GTS, don't like the exhaust note as much and the steering is a lot softer than GT4 (assuming Boxster will be similar to GT4).

Ride commentary was more re: GT4 RS vs Sypder RS, have read / watched that the ride is notice-ably softer (have no problem with the GT4 ride...)

Concern was just parking for a few hours at a time, sorry I wasn't specific, not regular or overnight parking.

If motion (or even pulling tabs) gets attention that's probably good enough, especially usually I'd be parking in outer areas where I'd probably be pretty close.

Thanks all for the info.
Old 07-04-2024, 02:07 AM
bgpman
Track Day

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I was under the impression that you had to release the top (not sure if fully retract or just release it a bit) to get into the trunk? I don't fill the frunk on a 911.2 C4S which would be more regularly used anyway, and I have wagon/SUV options if needed too so not really concerned there, but it did seem like something that owners commented on.

Ultimately the question (for me) is for someone who wants a "GT4 RS touring" but doesn't prefer convertible, is the Spyder RS a good alternative to getting a GT4 RS and removing the wing/adjusting front aero and perhaps using earplugs if needed. Right now I think the 718 GT4 could do with being a bit louder inside so even that might not be an issue...
Old 07-04-2024, 09:56 AM
0-Day
Burning Brakes

Received 751 Likes on 354 Posts

You don't want to park any convertible out in public for any extended period of time if you can help it.

Back in the day. we used to have to buy "seat locks" to help prevent Honda S2000 seats from being stolen. (Think Wheel Locks, but for the seat bolts.) I am genuinely surprised that I have yet to see any posts on these Porsche forums where someone's Carbon Buckets were stolen from a convertible, given their very high resale value and untraceability ...
Old 07-04-2024, 02:29 PM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 0-Day
You don't want to park any convertible out in public for any extended period of time if you can help it.

Back in the day. we used to have to buy "seat locks" to help prevent Honda S2000 seats from being stolen. (Think Wheel Locks, but for the seat bolts.) I am genuinely surprised that I have yet to see any posts on these Porsche forums where someone's Carbon Buckets were stolen from a convertible, given their very high resale value and untraceability ...
This exact thing happened to me in 2001. The seats were stolen from my S2000, which was parked in my covered but outdoor parking stall at a nice apartment complex in San Francisco. Two very small, almost imperceptible incisions were made in the soft top near the latches, and the seats were removed.

All convertibles are inherently more prone to theft and vandalism than hardtops. There's nothing specific about the Spyder RS that makes it more or less protected against theft than other convertibles.
Old 07-04-2024, 02:58 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 523 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
This exact thing happened to me in 2001. The seats were stolen from my S2000, which was parked in my covered but outdoor parking stall at a nice apartment complex in San Francisco. Two very small, almost imperceptible incisions were made in the soft top near the latches, and the seats were removed.

All convertibles are inherently more prone to theft and vandalism than hardtops. There's nothing specific about the Spyder RS that makes it more or less protected against theft than other convertibles.
Spyder RS has an advantage for both owners and thieves — the thieves can enter without damaging the car. Sure the alarm will go off, but when those release tabs are pulled, it’s easy entry. No cutting required. Everyone is happy

Quick Reply: Security of Spyder top when parking on the street