Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Passenger airbag deactivation? (for child seat install)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 06:53 PM
Nuvolari
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Passenger airbag deactivation? (for child seat install)

Hello everyone,

I have scoured the internet and cannot find an answer. I have a 2024 Cayman GTS coming in a few months to Canada. We do not have the option of ISOFIX which gives child seat anchors and a means of de-activating the airbag via a key in the glove box. I have asked and it is just not available to order with a new car. I have a 2 and a half year old daughter I would like to carry around and while I am ok with using a baby seat that relies on the seatbelt, I need to find a definitive way to deactivate the airbag on the passenger side. I know that there is a weight sensor and my daughter (especially as she grows) together with the seat may make it a close proposition when it comes to weight and secondly I just don't want to take the chance.

To that end I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to deactivate the airbag. Maybe someone who makes an intermediate wiring harness that tricks the car into thinking there is no weight in the seat? Alternatively a way of coding the car to defeat the airbag? Or a way of fitting some of the ISOFIX parts if ordered from Europe together with some part numbers? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:21 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 548 Posts

Personally with kids that young, I kept them in the middle of the second row. Safest place in any vehicle.

I also kept them rear facing as long as possible.

I used Britax rear facing seats, up to 50lbs and 4 feet tall.

They are all driving now.

YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
shiftgear (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 07:56 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,344 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
Personally with kids that young, I kept them in the middle of the second row. Safest place in any vehicle.

I also kept them rear facing as long as possible.

I used Britax rear facing seats, up to 50lbs and 4 feet tall.

They are all driving now.

YMMV.
Would that be for stretch version of a 2024 Cayman GTS? Must be new and only available up north.
Old 06-25-2024, 08:28 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 89 Posts

The airbag doesn't activate with a small child and a child seat. I forget the weight limit (88lbs rings a bell, but don't quote me on it), but I've my 3 and a half year old numerous times in a wayb pico installed via the seat belt and top tether (Caymans have it, Boxster don't).
The airbag off light will remain activated on the rear view panel with a child in it, but goes off with an adult in there.
​​​​As long as the airbag off light is activated, the airbag won't go off.
n4v4nod (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Nuvolari
Intermediate

Thank you for the answers thus far. Of course I have other cars with back seat options but the Cayman GTS will be my daily driver and I want to be covered when my daughter rides along. I am comfortable relying on the airbag off light but at the same time I would want to be covered for when the weight gets too high necessitating a manual over-ride of the airbag.

Again I ask if there are any options to achieve turning the airbag off?
Old 06-26-2024, 04:15 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuvolari
Again I ask if there are any options to achieve turning the airbag off?
Your answer is NO... not for PCNA cars anyway.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:53 PM
Nuvolari
Intermediate

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Your answer is NO... not for PCNA cars anyway.
May I ask how you are so sure? Can you please substantiate the claim that it is not possible for PCNA cars. I will add that I am ok with pursuing this through unofficial channels. I don't need my dealer to do it for me and I have decades of experience working on cars.
Old 06-26-2024, 05:58 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

it's automatic. so no, you cannot deactivate the airbag manually

don't want to judge your parenting decisions but I wouldn't put my 2 year old in a front facing carseat in a cayman
OncPorsche (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 06:12 PM
OncPorsche
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftgear

don't want to judge your parenting decisions but I wouldn't put my 2 year old in a front facing carseat in a cayman
especially since it's illegal in many states at that age!
Old 06-27-2024, 11:19 AM
Nuvolari
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shiftgear

Actually it can be done as evidenced that there are multiple other markets outside of America that offer this specific option. It is very common for enthusiasts to fit parts from other markets to suit their likes and wants and my request was to get some first hand knowledge of how this can be achieved.

As for parenting that is very much a personal decision and I will never fault anyone for the choices they make. In my case the law is very specific and totally allows a child to ride in the front seat of a vehicle that has no rear seat available. Beyond that I do not see the difference in safety between being belted in a car seat in the back or the front. I grew up at a time when we would ride in the car with or without belts and no baby seats existed. I appreciate the advancements made but am also comfortable taking a realistic approach to risk. Just as I do not walk around with a helmet everywhere I go because it is safer I will take reasonable steps to protect my child but not go crazy overboard either. My daughter (who is quite large for her age) loves riding in her car seat in my vintage Ferrari's and I would not deny her that pleasure just because those cars were made at a time when accident safety was barely considered. It all comes down to an individuals risk tolerance and I appreciate that everyones is different.
MrFunk (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 08:43 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 433 Posts

Kids have been forward facing in 2 seater pick up trucks for decades. It's legal and it's perfectly safe as long as they are properly secured in age/weight appropriate seating - especially so in today's modern vehicles.
It's certainly more safe than this celebrated "super mom" minivan alternative...

Last edited by MrFunk; 06-27-2024 at 08:45 PM.
Nuvolari (06-28-2024)

Quick Reply: Passenger airbag deactivation? (for child seat install)