Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

How you chose Spyder/GT4 vs 996/7 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 12:50 AM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 180 Posts

If I'd moved homes just a little earlier then who knows, I might be in a 997 GT3. I still have FOMO about them and want to have a go in one. A nice member here offered me theirs and it was hard to stomach paying 120k for a well worn car with miles and holes in the carpet. Something they probably paid in the 90s for. I made excuses like I didn't want to go from grey 911 to grey 911, and I would have had to store it somewhere because I couldn't get it in and out of the driveway. So later after moving I closed on getting a GT4 asap and was torn between a PTS CPO car and a new order without buckets. And I thought, long warranty and almost new car, wouldn't it be stupid to spend the same on one well over a decade old? Meanwhile that same GT3 I didn't get is probably at least 160 or 170k now. Anyway the GT4 is a great car but having come from a 996 Turbo there was a certain something missing. And it's not handling because the GT4 of course runs circles around my old Turbo on 20 year old suspension, but the real issue is that when you aren't driving very fast the GT4 feels pretty inert whereas those older cars feel tactile and have more interesting sensory things going on at all speeds than the new cars. So my mind still goes back to the 997 GT3 as a sort of happy medium. Each car will have its things it does better for sure. The balance and gearbox (aside from tall gearing) is phenomenal in the GT4. But yeah that electric steering which won't bother some people will feel like a huge let down compared to what you're used to. I wrote a much more detailed breakdown here somewhere once and can PM it to you when I find it if you want. I know it's not the exact comparison you're talking about, but it gets close.

In any case I'd offer to swap seats with you so we could both learn more but I'm pretty sure I can tell by your avatar that you don't live near me (plus you mention winter). I can't speak on this from very direct experience but there's a reason 997 GT3s are so expensive. Beyond just the small number and some market manipulation. I think those are keepers and if you can afford it maybe just get something fun in addition rather than instead of it. But really it comes down to driving one because nobody on here is going to be able to tell you what is right for you in your situation. I keep coming back to the GT4 being fantastic to drive when you're going quickly and then just feeling like a very nice small car with aggressive seats the rest of the time. The car you have will have a lot more character and likely give you more of the "fizz" more of the time if it's just an A to A experience and isn't your main vehicle.
Old 06-27-2024, 01:51 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 374 Posts

When i think about choosing I think about one thing I read here over and over: I see more 997 GT owners who have sold, re-buying 997 GT cars after they try other things. I don't see 718 buyers doing that.

I'll make my bias clear at the start. I think the 997 GT cars are the best Porsche has made and will ever make from an driving enjoyment and engagment POV. They are plenty fast to be fun on street or on track. They are pretty reliable and they look damn good too. Most miles I've put on a GT car was my 997.2 GT3. It lasted the longest in my garage and I wish I'd never sold it. I tried the 981 GT4, 991.1RS and a few others and i always looked back towards the 997 GT3 and GT2. I picked up my GT2 because I had already owned the 997 GT3 and the ones I'd driven were epic. It is simply fantastic.

As far as being "worn out", i'm not sure I agree with that given how well built these cars are but you WILL have to do a refresh at some point and "while you're in there" you may also want to do some other mods like suspension, LWFW, clutch, diff etc. Assume maybe 10-20k on top to do a big refresh. With that done, assume at least another 25-50k trouble free miles if you have a solid car. I priced that into the equation at acquisition. I've put 20K miles on my GT2 since buying it and it's been bullet proof. I'm comfortable taking it anywhere any time for any mileage.

Now all that said, I love the 718 chassis too. I knew when the 4RS was announced, there was no way I'd sell the GT2 to own it so I just did the responsible thing and added one The 718 feels like the spiritual successor to the 997 much more than the 991, 992 do IMHO. They've gotten bigger, easier to drive and way too fast unless your use case is primarily track. I just don't connect with them. The GT4 / RS is a little less tied down, a little more prone to rotate and just a lot more fun to drive. The 4RS when you get on it just feels like it wants you to push it harder and harder and be irresponsible. I love that feeling. You'll also hear several heavy posters here saying how messed up the suspension is. And while it's not perfect nor as tied down, it's still very capable. It is more than offset by the feeling of rotating on your hips and increased nose grip into corners. It is a very different car from the 997 but very special in it's own way. I have a fair amount of miles in the Spyder and Spyder RS too and I love them too but I'm just not much of a convertible guy so i stick with hard tops.

Ok, so yes, I love them both. If I had to have one or the other chassis? No question in my mind: it's the 997. My advice would be to pickup a 718 and own both for a short while. You should be able to tell pretty quickly which one you want to stay. PECLA also an option if short term dual ownership is not. The really good news here is that they are both great cars. But mark my words; sell the 997 and you'll be back.
The following 4 users liked this post by ChrisF:
fasteddie99 (06-27-2024), Larry Cable (06-29-2024), sunnyr (06-27-2024), UncleDude (06-27-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 12:07 PM
THP23
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 106 Posts

I’ll give my $0.02 here. I previously owned a 996tt that was as close to a tuned GT2 as you could get aside from doing the front uprights (JRZ 3 ways, RWD converted, upgraded rear diff, tune, GT2RS intercoolers, exhaust, etc) and it was a great experience. The car was an absolute rocket and being RWD converted really kept you on your toes when driving it. I owned it for 4 years and then started getting the itch for a “new” car. I looked into getting a 996 GT3. Decided against it as I wanted a slightly newer generation as I currently owned a 996. Test drove a few 997 GT3s and really enjoyed them. The mezger motor truly is special and the car is VERY engaging. Also loved the style of the 997 and still do. Unfortunately I found the interior to be really dated, wasn’t sure I wanted to do the “old car” maintenance like I had been doing on the Turbo, and felt something newer would serve me a little better this time. But I knew I wanted a GT product. So I started shopping for 981 GT4s, 718 GT4s and 991.2 GT3 (manual was my non-negotiable along with buckets…). I test drove the 991.2 gt3 manual and WOW what a car. Silly fast, great handling, that 9k rpm scream was fantastic. But it felt really big coming from a 996TT and I missed the intimacy of the smaller car both inside and out. The 718 I decided against because I really, really like the esthetic of the center exit exhaust on the Porsche GT line. It sounds silly, but it was ingrained in my brain and made me look only at the 981 for a GT4.
The first GT4 I drove was VERY underwhelming. It was a bone stock sapphire blue car with sofas….the car was the right size, had razor handling but just felt dull. I couldn’t figure out what it was. Maybe the stock exhaust killed the experience? Was it the sofas? I then started to question if this car was even in the running anymore. Thankfully I decided keep looking and found a Carrera white metallic 981 GT4 that was loaded…buckets, chrono, deviated stitching, full leather, and carbon fiber interior trim. I placed my deposit and made arrangements to fly to the car. To my surprise, when I arrived I found the car to have a titanium Akrapovic exhaust, cargraphic race headers and a tune on it. Within 5 minutes of the test drive I knew I was buying the car. THIS was what I was looking for. The buckets made the experience feel truly special and then there was the exhaust. That GT wale was back! The 981 with a proper exhaust setup is in my opinion one of the best sounding Porsches ever. It also has one of the best feeling transmissions I’ve ever driven. Everything is perfectly laid out in the car with it being modern enough but not clattered with screens everywhere.
I’ve now owned the car for 2 years and 12,000 miles. It’s seen 3 trips to the smokies and numerous track days at Sebring…this is an absolute keeper. The way this car handles, sounds, shifts, brakes is just exceptional. The tall gearing non-sense is just that, non-sense. Never in my ownership have I wanted to change to shorter gearing (prior to purchasing the car I was going to send it out immediately to Deman for shorter gearing based on the internet chatter). The suspension geometry while not perfect sure makes for a great time when pushing the car. It’s lively and I like it. Coming from a motorcycle background I’m used to the backend dancing under heavy braking. The confidence the mid-engine platform inspires is mind blowing. Want the car to rotate more? Lift off the throttle a touch, more rotation, and on you go. Try that trick in an older 911 and you’ll be in the weeds in no time. Does the car understeer? Out of the box, yes. A nice street/track alignment and a set of wheels and tires with 265/305 tires fixed that problem. Turn in is absolutely razor sharp.
All in all, I’m a huge fan of the 981 GT4 as it has that special “fizz”. Honestly the car reminds me a lot of the 997 GT3 but with much more modern interior and mid engine platform. It’s a car that I don’t see leaving the stable and one that I feel is a little slept on currently. I apologize for the long rant/review here…currently sitting on the tarmac waiting for take off haha.

Happy Hunting

Last edited by THP23; 06-28-2024 at 12:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by THP23:
maschinetheist (06-28-2024), Mike981S (06-28-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 12:32 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the replies during the week. I really appreciate everyone giving thoughtful, respectful replies. I was able to inspect and drive the dealers 718 GT4, granted on a Monday in traffic and then a short highway drive. Short of it is, I like it. But does a 15 mins test drive at 35mph really tell me what I need to know? Probably not. A friend of mine who has one has offered to let me drive his, schedules just need to align. When I originally bought my 997 GT3, the owner who is a friend of a friend, handed me the keys and told me "bring it back whenever, go have fun" and that I did, for well over an hour on some of my favorite roads. The sales guy was talking a lot when I went out with him which is distracting to me.

Condition: the main reason I was considering this move is to get a very low mileage, nearly new car. Given this one had full PPF and 5k miles, I knew it would be nice. A bonus is CPO, which provides warranty till 2029. The exterior looked new, no chips that I could find. The interior, while excellent, did have a leather flaw. Not anything that was a deal breaker but made me realize that no matter which car you’re looking at, even one year old and low mileage, is going to have some small issues. It made me appreciate my car even more. Without question though, I would be happy putting this car in my garage from a condition standpoint and I don’t say that about many cars.

Driving/interior/options: My impressions of the GT4 is it feels amazing. Clutch is light but still is good/easy to use (if you've driven a GT3, this is expected and I do prefer my GT3 clutch), shifter is super easy yet super precise and tactile, exactly how I'd want a shifter to feel. Basically the clutch and shifter feel like Porsche wanted them to feel easy enough to use around town but still satisfying and not rubbery like a lot of BMW’s. The steering I couldn't tell you if it was good or not since I didn't really get to push it (even at my normal 3/10 driving) around corners. It did have Cup 2’s, which have a nice steering feel to them. Brakes, they were steel, and wow were they good. Immediate bite, stopped incredibly well when coming off the freeway, I guess that is what 15+ years of technology advancement gives you. I'm a huge fan of auto blip. As much as I enjoy rev matching my own downshifts, I have size 15 feet, so heel toe is not possible into a corner, on a straight road, no issue. The GT4 sounds good on the inside, you get plenty of induction noise. But I do vastly prefer the sound of the GT3. Both sound amazing, but I have so many memories of my dad and I going to Mid-Ohio together and listening to 997 GT3’s go around the track, so I prefer that sound. The ride of the GT4 feels better to me and more compliant, although the GT3 is one of the harsher cars that you’ll ride in, so that’s not saying much. I don’t like even having the option of auto start stop on these cars, although I know it can be turned off very easily. The buckets in the GT4 were great. I don’t fit (too tall) in the GT2 buckets for the 997 cars which is why I don’t have them in my car, but the 991/992 fixed buckets as I already have experienced are great. However, they weren’t as amazing as I remembered from prior cars. Yes, you sit low, but my 997 GT3 manual sport seats also sit low. Looking at the buckets and the experience of getting in and out of them is what makes them feel very special/an occasion but the alcantara centers in the standard sport seats help hold you in well. Full leather, I have it in my 997 GT3 and this GT4 also had it, although with deviated stitching in the GT4. The full leather really elevates the interior on these cars along with things like the red door pulls. I tend to go back and forth on full leather since I’m obsessive with condition, so the plastic dash holds up well, but having just sat in a 718 Spyder yesterday without full leather, I do prefer with full leather. This GT4 had leather steering wheel and shift ****, exactly as I like it due to how alcantara tends to wear on touch points. I also couldn’t believe how much room the GT4 had inside. I’m 6’6”, I think the GT4 is roomier, specifically my knees around the steering wheel, than my 997 GT3. Keep in mind, even in a Spyder/GT4, I move the seat forward as I like to sit closer to the steering wheel. I prefer the 5 pod gauge setup in the GT3 for no other reason than the looks. The GT4 gives you plenty of information. Overall, the GT4 really feels great. Would be very happy to have one in my garage. If I was doing 3-5k miles per year instead of 2k miles per year and was doing more around town driving, I’d probably own one instead of my GT3, specifically if I didn’t previously drive a 997 GT3.

But I think I have an attachment to my GT3 and I’m unsure I’m willing to get rid of it. I bought my GT3 back in 2019, I bought an incredibly nice example, a friend and RL’er brokered the deal for me. The following spring I fully sorted the car by correcting all the common GT3 issues including coolant lines. I’ve then every year proceeded to make the car nicer by making small upgrades, replacing worn trim and trying to make it one of the nicest yet still usable GT3’s on the road. None of the stuff I replaced did the car need, it’s been a very economical car to keep running if I remove things like spending thousands on replacing trim pieces, replacing hundreds of dollars in hardware just because and removing the engine from the car to do coolant lines when nothing had occurred. I’ve made memories in it and have talked with guys on Rennlist that have turned into people I text monthly and have met in person.

The issue with selling a 997 GT3 is what was mentioned above. You can’t simply find one (like mine) that has been sorted for a reasonable price. I’m afraid to give that up. I also genuinely enjoy the car and the experience it provides. I was driving up to the dealer yesterday and seeing my car sitting out front really made me appreciate it. The drive there with the motorsport derived engine really does feel special even just driving at 35mph. I also want to remind anyone looking at a 997.1 that the PCCM+ exists, it gives you Apple CarPlay in a factory looking head unit. I think both the 997 and 981/718 interiors are timeless.

I think for now, my GT3 is going to continue being the one that is in my garage. In the future, if I decided I wanted to try something different, I know the 718 GT4 is a great car and will be waiting, even if I don’t make that move for 5+ years. I’m also going to be waiting to see what the next GT4 holds. If it isn’t hybrid, offers a manual and an NA motor, I will likely be very interested, but it will all depend if I’m willing to sell my GT3 for it. Does the new aspect (when everything will eventually be old) outweigh what I consider to be the perfect (nearly) car.

I do want to offer that if anyone is looking for a 2023 GT4 6 speed CPO in mint condition for $144k, I’m happy to do a walkaround video of it or show any flaws (only found one) for you.

Hope everyone can go out and enjoy their cars, no matter what we have. They’re all excellent.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bxstr:
Larry Cable (06-29-2024), MendraSlife (07-04-2024), Mike981S (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 03:08 PM
DrainsWalletsFast
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I’m also going to be waiting to see what the next GT4 holds. If it isn’t hybrid, offers a manual and an NA motor, I will likely be very interested, but it will all depend if I’m willing to sell my GT3 for it. Does the new aspect (when everything will eventually be old) outweigh what I consider to be the perfect (nearly) car.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts just wanted to zero in on this part. There is no next gasoline GT4. The 718 will be all electric going forward. If manual isn't a must for you and eventually it's within budget I'd suggest trying to get seat time in a GT4 RS if you have the chance.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,099 Likes on 2,119 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBucketOfTruth
Thanks for sharing your thoughts just wanted to zero in on this part. There is no next gasoline GT4. The 718 will be all electric going forward. If manual isn't a must for you and eventually it's within budget I'd suggest trying to get seat time in a GT4 RS if you have the chance.
Happy to chat further if anyone has questions too. I genuinely appreciate the insight that all the members here gave.

Regarding your comment, yes, that is my impression as well. My dealer told me that the next GT4 is supposed to be the EPerformance. But wasn't sure if that was 100% certain at this point.
Old 06-30-2024, 04:52 PM
matt0520
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Happy to chat further if anyone has questions too. I genuinely appreciate the insight that all the members here gave.

Regarding your comment, yes, that is my impression as well. My dealer told me that the next GT4 is supposed to be the EPerformance. But wasn't sure if that was 100% certain at this point.
I think it's a pretty sure thing, current ICE 718s will run until Oct 2025 and then be done.

Quick Reply: How you chose Spyder/GT4 vs 996/7 GT3