Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Tune thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 02:05 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

All I can add is that I have the M-Engineering tune on my GTS for around 2 years. It is a cutomised stage 2.

I recently unloaded the flash due to a dealer visit, and all I can say is that the car felt noticeably sluggish in terms of response, acceleration and torque.

I am considering reverting to a middle ground stage 1 though, as power of stage 2 can on occasion feel too much for the chassis, esp with shorter gearing.
The following users liked this post:
revcon (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:34 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by lowbee
I think if the APR tune is price competitive with Cobb or Softronic, there will be more people willing to give it a try.
The thing that makes the APR more price competitive is when you don’t waste your money first on a lesser tune like I did with the Softronic. Had that been offered with a 30 day trial, I’d have definitely returned it for a refund. At least with an exhaust system, if you don’t like sound, you can always recoup part of your investment.

Last edited by mc3456; 06-24-2024 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:55 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Can we start an oil thread? I don't think it has been discussed.
So how about brake fluid? Do you really need to change it every 2 years if a brake fluid tester indicates that the moisture content is still quite low?
MaddMike (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 11:13 AM
bantam1
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
The one thing that makes the APR more price competitive is when you don’t waste your money first on a lesser tune like I did with the Softronic. Had that been offered with a 30 day trial, I’d have definitely returned it for a refund. At least with an exhaust system, if you don’t like sound, you can always recoup part of your investment.
I think that’s why the Cobb is a great place to start, since you can buy used and re-sell the device, you aren’t flushing a full $1500 down the toilet it you don’t like it
The following 3 users liked this post by bantam1:
Clark_Kent (06-21-2024), DFW01TT (06-14-2024), Larry Cable (06-19-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:17 PM
authenticamd
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The only problem with Cobb is that they aren't willing to code in the exhaust valve control unlike APR, Softronic, and M-Engineering. I suspect it's because they consider it "emissions" related.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:40 PM
yellolab
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts

I did the COBB access port on my mine. Why? Cheap(I paid $1200), and I felt it was a slightly more conservative/safer tune than the more aggressive M or Softronics time. Just my feeling.
I have SOUL AOPs BTW.

Last edited by yellolab; 06-13-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:53 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I wish there was someone around me with any tune so I could get the real life experience, but tunes are even rarer to find on a 718 4.0 in person, let alone an online presence, than it is to stumble on another owner with an exhaust setup. I’ve tuned pretty much every car I’ve ever owned (never an issue to date), and I know I will do so one day - it’s just not my time. Things like suspension upgrades that are equal to in price of a Softronics or Cobb tune are far more appealing at the moment, and more useful.
If you come down to Raleigh NC I have a full Kline inconel including headers and Softronic. Happy to go for a ride.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:20 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
If you come down to Raleigh NC I have a full Kline inconel including headers and Softronic. Happy to go for a ride.
FK, I was just down in Pinehurst for the past week so I missed out!
I'll be back down there in the next 2-3 months for another golf trip
MaddMike (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 02:49 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by authenticamd
The only problem with Cobb is that they aren't willing to code in the exhaust valve control unlike APR, Softronic, and M-Engineering. I suspect it's because they consider it "emissions" related.
My Cobb pro-tune has custom valve control operation. PSE enabled = valves open 100% of the time, PSE disabled, more like normal PSE enabled mode except the valves do close at idle and light engine load (so that I can drive around town). So the capability is there through the tuning tools.
Old 06-13-2024, 03:00 PM
authenticamd
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But the OTS tune doesn't have it included unlike the other options. But good to know it's there. How much was your pro-tune?
Old 06-18-2024, 07:45 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I wish there was someone around me with any tune so I could get the real life experience, but tunes are even rarer to find on a 718 4.0 in person, let alone an online presence, than it is to stumble on another owner with an exhaust setup. I’ve tuned pretty much every car I’ve ever owned (never an issue to date), and I know I will do so one day - it’s just not my time. Things like suspension upgrades that are equal to in price of a Softronics or Cobb tune are far more appealing at the moment, and more useful.
Shame you weren't in Birmingham last week for Porsche Parade. We sold x4 718 4.0l Accessports in the three days we were on site and even installed them all at our separate install booth in the downstairs parking garage. Bottom line, we were just as shocked as everyone is when they initially see the gains from just ECU tuning on these motors. The stage 1 93 gains are reliably 35-40whp on the GT4/Spyder and 55-60whp on the GTS due to the artificial restriction tuning by Porsche to depower the GTS stock. Which, extra nugget of info, unlike previous iterations where they simply didn't open the throttle blade fully despite 100% pedal input, Porsche complicated the restrictor process this time by fluctuating the throttle blade during a WOT pull. Took a little bit of extra time to sort out that shenanigans but if you go look at our dyno plots you'll see our Python Green Cayman GTS 4.0 technically eeked out a few extra HP over the Guards Red Spyder in final testing, chalk that one up to motor power variations from the factory. And yes, we owned both cars simultaneously specifically to confirm they would produce nearly identical results when tuned, which they do.

As for the warranty topic- it's been beaten to death over and over and over and everyone simply has to choose their own level of risk. For those who don't think 40-60whp is worth it in an NA motor... <shrug> ...that's your choice. As anyone who has asked me in person at any event we attend has heard multiple times, and can go find typed here just as many times, we do not sell the AP as a warranty friendly device, nor are we in the business of promoting warranty fraud, so no, we do not adjust or defeat any flash counters or any other potential ECU tuning detection protocols. With that said, when properly uninstalled from a Porsche the previous AP installation will not cause some magical super red screen of death to appear the second a technician plugs in a PIWIS4 to your still in warranty car. The reality is they have to go digging to find any information regarding flashing history and even moreso, they need to be given a reason to. Our recommendation is, and always will be, to discuss ECU tuning specifically with your preferred Porsche service center, preferably with the Service Manager directly as the DEALERSHIP is who sold you the warranty, and will be the first to decide if they'll cover any repair under warranty. When in doubt, I strongly recommend supporting dealers who are active in your local autox, HPDE, and club racing events as they are generally going to be the most understanding and accepting of modifications, including ECU tuning. We actually have more franchised Porsche dealerships as authorized COBB dealers than any other manufacturer we support and that speaks volumes to each Porsche dealerships ability to make their own decisions on what and how they sell along with their views on the quality of our product.

As for competitors- every single one mentioned in this thread is a solid choice. Each has benefits and negatives, just like we do, and there are no secrets in the aftermarket calibration world once someone's tune hits the market. The idea that one particular company's product is going to make significantly more power than any other company's product that has been out for more than ~six months is totally unrealistic. If you're trying to decide on which product to buy based solely on the notion "this one makes the most power" then I regret to inform you, you're more than likely going to end up chasing that goal endlessly. Instead, purchase the product you feel checks the most boxes for your particular application and enjoy it, write a review post about it, let others hear your honest opinion. We most certainly welcome the feedback and the competition.

Speaking of feedback, please remember we do offer our 30 day money back guarantee and have for over 20 years. Additionally, if you're at a multi day Porsche event where we're on-site, we'll more than likely be selling an installing APs there. We are more than happy to offer you a "test drive" of an AP. We're happy to install an AP on your car for a day or two to give you a chance to test it out and decide if you want to buy. We've had customers in the past do that for some of the official drives, for autox events, even for the HPDE. We strive to provide the best customer service in the industry and it's very important to us that you're fully satisfied with your purchase and if letting you take it for a spin will help with that, then we're all for it.

Thanks!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following 10 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
85Gold (06-19-2024), BabyNSX (06-19-2024), Clark_Kent (06-21-2024), DFW01TT (06-19-2024), Larry Cable (06-19-2024), Mike981S (06-19-2024), rjag2034 (06-19-2024), RoadrunnerGTS (06-19-2024), slilley (06-19-2024), yellolab (06-18-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-18-2024, 07:54 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by authenticamd
More specifically, all of our OTS maps across the entire company, which includes every single Porsche application, are now fully 50 state approved with their own CARB EOs. Which means if you are in California, or any of the other ever increasing number of states that follow CARBs emissions rules, you don't even need to uninstall the AP or change the map from the stage 1 calibration to pass your local emissions tests. No "presumed" or "coming soon" EO coverage. If it's for sale on our website, it's covered, including our soon to be updated EO for 718 4.0l support out to MY24.

What that means for the exhaust flap control though is that we do not offer that, or auto start stop, or cylinder deactivation, with our OTS maps. However, unlike our competitors, we offer our fully functionality enabled, identical to what we use to create the OTS maps, calibration software known as Accesstuner Pro to our Protuning network. With that software our Protuners are able to adjust those parameters and much much more to suit your particular needs, any additional modifications you have, even your particular fuel grade or elevation. All available from your Protuner of choice that doesn't even need to be local to you since the Accessport can also log directly on the device which allows remote tuning capabilities if you happen to be on the other side of the country, or even the world, from your preferred Protuner.

Thanks!

~Jared
The following 4 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
BabyNSX (06-19-2024), burnergt4 (06-19-2024), Larry Cable (06-19-2024), slilley (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 12:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by bantam1
We can agree on one thing, that the tunes are overpriced. I would say that Cobb is probably an exception to this, as it is the lowest price, and is the only “tune” device that can be re-sold and used on another car
this! ... dont under estimate the value of this, I recently sold a car with another tuner's product (the buyer did not want it) ... there is no way to resell the tune onwards ... so I now have a programmer with the tune for a car I dont have and no way to recoup $1 of the investment,
Clark_Kent (06-21-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 01:15 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm strongly considering a tune on my GT4 that I track and Autox regularly. Even though it's the priciest, I'm currently drawn to the APR tune for the purpose of the thermal management improvements. They lower the PDK sport temp targets 10°C more than factory to help extend track time before high oil temps. Has any one else found this feature from COBB, M-eng, or others?
Old 06-19-2024, 02:00 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
More specifically, all of our OTS maps across the entire company, which includes every single Porsche application, are now fully 50 state approved with their own CARB EOs. Which means if you are in California, or any of the other ever increasing number of states that follow CARBs emissions rules, you don't even need to uninstall the AP or change the map from the stage 1 calibration to pass your local emissions tests. No "presumed" or "coming soon" EO coverage. If it's for sale on our website, it's covered, including our soon to be updated EO for 718 4.0l support out to MY24.
Being a CA owner, this was honestly my biggest reason for going with Cobb (in addition to the data logging capabilities, OBD readiness status, etc.). For a company to have run through the gauntlet of getting CARB approval is honestly quite an achievement, in my book.

Quick Reply: Tune thoughts