Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Dear Rennlist cognoscenti: Please critique my GTS 4.0 build - Freeze coming up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 05:22 PM
NA4.0
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Dear Rennlist cognoscenti: Please critique my GTS 4.0 build - Freeze coming up!

Hi All,

Soliciting all feedback and words of wisdom from the cognoscenti. My build locks in a couple of weeks and I am pretty happy with my choices. That said, I've never regretted asking fellow enthusiasts to take a last look at a build so asking for your thoughts.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PREB8LA9

Almost all of my car are/were black and, after some toying around with Agate and Aventurine, I decided not to fight it. Besides, the wife actually wanted the Jet Black because it reminded her of her mom's old 964 C4.

I do occasionally track my cars and could've fit into the buckets but, again, that would completely turn the wife off and I enjoy taking roadtrips with her.

The last few things I struggled with were steering column in leather and smoking package (don't smoke but the overwhelming consensus here seems to be to tick it, so I did). I'm on the fence about PS+ but, since it can be added via a software update, I'm not really feeling any anxiety about it.

I've requested ED as you will see and am on the waitlist. It will likely be Oct/Nov which isn't ideal but I don't mind Europe nearer to the holidays.

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance!
Old 05-19-2024, 06:25 PM
kk2
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Headlight washers painted
The following users liked this post:
NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 07:11 PM
JohsonChou
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

1. Yes would rather have black than aventurine or agate if you need dark colors
2. Personally would go for default silver rims. I feel like the profile of the car needs a bit contrast.
3. I personally think inner sill guard in leather + door sill guard in stainless + backrest shells in leather + steering column in leather elevate the car quite a bit. Since you already have a very premium leather build, why not.
4. Maybe try the white dials and chalk seat betls? That would give interior some contrast. (and work with your contrasted stitching). Although dials can be done aftermarket for 1/3 the price, seat belts moslty need to come from the factory.
The following 2 users liked this post by JohsonChou:
Bearrun21 (05-19-2024), NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 09:27 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 201 Posts

Car looks great! A couple comments:

1. You are spending a LOT on deviated stitching. I'm totally fine with it, but if you decided to sell in a couple of years, I think you'd be better off with the GTS Interior Package. But that would force you into RaceTex.
2. Does anyone use in-car navigation anymore? With Waze and Google maps, not many.
3. I love the contrast with the Satin Platinum wheels.
4. I've always found the ventilated seats to be stiffer than the non-vent versions.
5. In for a penny, in for a pound: consider adding the Burm sound instead of the Bose
NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 10:30 AM
NA4.0
Intermediate

kk2
​​​​​​​Headlight washers painted
Aren't they already black though? I'm seeing different info even on the forums with one GTS owner saying they are black while a RS owner says that his were chrome.

Last edited by NA4.0; 05-20-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:56 AM
NA4.0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohsonChou
1. Yes would rather have black than aventurine or agate if you need dark colors
2. Personally would go for default silver rims. I feel like the profile of the car needs a bit contrast.
3. I personally think inner sill guard in leather + door sill guard in stainless + backrest shells in leather + steering column in leather elevate the car quite a bit. Since you already have a very premium leather build, why not.
4. Maybe try the white dials and chalk seat betls? That would give interior some contrast. (and work with your contrasted stitching). Although dials can be done aftermarket for 1/3 the price, seat belts moslty need to come from the factory.
Thanks for the feedback! I was mulling over Aurum wheels and wife wanted black, so we split the difference and went with Platinum if that makes sense.

If I were getting a Boxter, I would definitely add a few more leather items like seat backs but not sure how much of a difference it will make in the Cayman. Good point on the dials, I'm going with black dials mainly for better visibility but it's nice to know I have an aftermarket option.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:01 AM
NA4.0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slilley
Car looks great! A couple comments:

1. You are spending a LOT on deviated stitching. I'm totally fine with it, but if you decided to sell in a couple of years, I think you'd be better off with the GTS Interior Package. But that would force you into RaceTex.
2. Does anyone use in-car navigation anymore? With Waze and Google maps, not many.
3. I love the contrast with the Satin Platinum wheels.
4. I've always found the ventilated seats to be stiffer than the non-vent versions.
5. In for a penny, in for a pound: consider adding the Burm sound instead of the Bose
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I am very aware of my large investment in some colored thread! That said, I am a big fan of deviated stitching and there is no plan to sell the car in the near future. I spec/buy all my cars for my use (with some input from family). Resale is usually not a concern.

I'm getting the Nav since it's required for the track app. Also, didn't I read somewhere that Nav actually improves the cell signals inside the car? I get your point though. I can't remember the last time I actually used the Navigation part of the Nav unit in any car in the last 5 years (except for a couple of times when I was in National Parks when the cell signals just went away).

My concern with Burmester is that it won't be a significant enough step up over the Bose given the size of the cabin and the level of ambient noise. I like a nice sound system but I have one at home. That said, I could be convinced
slilley (05-21-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:39 PM
wam22
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I would add the electric steering column since it will rise to make getting in/out easier. If you are adding a full leather interior, steering wheel column in leather, and the gear selector in leather, you might as well add the dashboard trim in leather and sun visors in leather.
NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 01:34 AM
slm9555
Advanced

Received 130 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are going to do deviated stitching I would go for a color that really stands out and not a color that looks like it would come from the factory as standard. Go for yellow, blue, green, orange, etc. The interior will be very unique if you go for a stitching that really pops. I personally have lizard green including seat backs and inner door sills.
NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 05:53 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

If you want black, I'd go for either the black leather interior trim someone mentioned a few posts up, or the black aluminum trim rather than the plain Aluminum trim @slm9555 above also makes a good point on the deviated stitching; subtle red deviated stitching on the interior, and the subtle red of the brake caliper on the exterior, might be a nice dash of colour and fit your theme, but then again my BGTS is Agate Grey with Gold wheels and Bordeaux interior so it's possible our preferences in colour scheme are a bit different,

Burmeister stereo really is pretty good, not sure how worthwhile it is as it's expensive, but I like it.
NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 07:07 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 632 Posts

I find black to look pretty tame in the configurator but in person a Black Cayman looks sooooo slick. I went with Aventurine Green for my Boxster but Black was a contender if i couldnt get the green.

I personally specced the Burmester even though i have a Boxster and i'd assume the sound is even worse with the soft top. However i do love a good high end sound system and i specced it because i've never really experienced a true premium sound system in a car before. I have read a lot of people who have specced it in their Spyder and they love it and so that was enough to convince me.
NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 08:10 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 286 Posts

Too dark for my taste and if I were building an all black car, I would consider adding deviated stitching in a bright color like GR with matching colored seatbelts and gauges. Anyway your car so should do what pleases you. Personally I like contrasting colors like the Bordeaux red/black interior if selecting a black car.

Last edited by subwoofer; 05-21-2024 at 08:38 PM.
NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 01:05 PM
NA4.0
Intermediate

I appreciate all the new responses folks!

I am now reconsidering Burmester. I am not an audiophile but have a decent system at home and find most audio setups in sports cars to be less than optimal. I usually listen to Audio books or NPR unless the wife is with me which is when the roadtrip music comes out.

Regarding a brighter stitching color, I hear you and appreciate your perspective. I have another all black car with lava orange stitching and like it just fine. The goal here was to keep the interior theme a little more muted and I really do like the chalk stitching which I checked out on another car in person. I went with the brushed aluminum vs black brushed aluminum to add a little more contrast and to match better with Chalk. I am still vacillating between them to be honest.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for the honest and constructive feedback!
Xxyion (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 01:18 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,141 Likes on 632 Posts

Originally Posted by NA4.0
I appreciate all the new responses folks!

I am now reconsidering Burmester. I am not an audiophile but have a decent system at home and find most audio setups in sports cars to be less than optimal. I usually listen to Audio books or NPR unless the wife is with me which is when the roadtrip music comes out.
Yeah i'm largely the same way. My home system is great but there are definetly times where i wish i had something nice on the road. I had the base sound system in my GT4 and while it was ok...it defiantly didnt do much especially on long trips. I mostly found myself just listening to the engine, which is great, but when you're just cruising on the highway all you really hear is drone.

With my incoming Boxster, as the car will be quieter and more insulated compared to the GT4 even with the soft top i figured i should treat myself to some nice sound for once. Usually the sound system is the first thing i'll not select if i'm trying to save money and have always just "been ok" with lackluster sound quality in my cars. But i was in my friends Mazda CX-90 and while the sound system in that car is just the Bose, it was tuned really well for that car and we were just cruising listening to music and it was great. So i checked the Burmester. I also checked out a Burmester system in a Cayman that my local dealership had and i thought it sounded really really good.
NA4.0 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 10:27 AM
NA4.0
Intermediate

Xxyion: Did you get your car yet? Curious to hear what long term use impressions of the Burmester are.

Last edited by NA4.0; 05-24-2024 at 10:28 AM. Reason: addressed Xxyion

Quick Reply: Dear Rennlist cognoscenti: Please critique my GTS 4.0 build - Freeze coming up!