Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Rev Match Noise ? Is it an Issue ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2024, 11:12 AM
Tcomegna
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Rev Match Noise ? Is it an Issue ?

Hey everyone ! Question on rev match for my 718 Spyder. 7000 Km, 2020 model and super mint condition. I don't see any threads on any peculiar noises on downshift, but just curious as I hear quite the mechanical noise on downshift when rev match is on. When it's off zero additional noises. And no it's not the exhaust. I have a 992 GT3 as well and this noise is not present.

I want to describe as sort of a mechanical blow off valve sort of noise. I know I sound like an idiot, but I want to see if anyone can assure him e this is not anything out of the ordinary. It's quite audible for sure. Only when rev match is on, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the actuator of the system.

Maybe the music was too loud and too hard of driving that I didn't notice it before

Thanks everyone !
Old 05-16-2024, 11:19 AM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 461 Posts

Nothing out for the ordinary with your experiences. Keep in mind the intakes are right behind you, so the noises you hear are more pronounced.

I never drive casually with auto-blip on, its too obnoxious on downshifts.. unless Im trying to pull in somewhere a little ROWDY - auto-blip is a feature I only use on backroad drives or track days.

Another note, auto-blip makes up-shifting notchier from my experiences (17,500 miles in 15 months, so I've been testing this!).
Old 05-16-2024, 11:45 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

My car does the same thing. There is an audible click. Shifts however are are smooth as silk and I always drive in sport mode. Love the throttle response and rev matching feature.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 12:06 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,599 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcomegna
Hey everyone ! Question on rev match for my 718 Spyder. 7000 Km, 2020 model and super mint condition. I don't see any threads on any peculiar noises on downshift, but just curious as I hear quite the mechanical noise on downshift when rev match is on. When it's off zero additional noises. And no it's not the exhaust. I have a 992 GT3 as well and this noise is not present.

I want to describe as sort of a mechanical blow off valve sort of noise. I know I sound like an idiot, but I want to see if anyone can assure him e this is not anything out of the ordinary. It's quite audible for sure. Only when rev match is on, so I'm assuming it's something to do with the actuator of the system.

Maybe the music was too loud and too hard of driving that I didn't notice it before

Thanks everyone !
did you not already ask this?

its the sound of the throttle body opening/closing initiated by the ECU to auto-blip... normal
lowbee (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 01:09 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 663 Posts

I don't understand the answers above. The only thing you should hear is the engine revving. If you blip the throttle with your foot to raise the revs, you should hear the exact same noise and nothing more. It should be exactly like in your GT3 (but obviously the 2 engines sound different). Auto blip only increases the engine speed and that's all you should hear whether your right foot is doing the blipping or HAL is.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

both my GT3 and Spyder make this sound, its normal ... with auto-blip the change occurs faster than "manual" application of the foot ... hence the "clack" + "sucking" sound... YMMV
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
BoxKing (05-16-2024), subwoofer (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 02:44 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I never drive casually with auto-blip on, its too obnoxious on downshifts.. unless Im trying to pull in somewhere a little ROWDY - auto-blip is a feature I only use on backroad drives or track days.
Rev-matching properly will make the same noise whether you rev the engine or the ECU does it. What am I missing here?
Old 05-16-2024, 02:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Joe250
Rev-matching properly will make the same noise whether you rev the engine or the ECU does it. What am I missing here?
the rate at which the ECU opens the throttle body (to rev match) is much faster than your (or anyone else's) foot - hence the clack+suck sound - YMMV
Old 05-16-2024, 03:43 PM
matt0520
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
the rate at which the ECU opens the throttle body (to rev match) is much faster than your (or anyone else's) foot - hence the clack+suck sound - YMMV
It's even better w BMC filters. Sweet sweet music
Larry Cable (05-17-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 10:57 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe250
I haven’t found that to be the case. Heal - Toe sound when cruising around is subtle when you give the throttle a little blip to match. AUTO-BLIP for some reason adds a ton of aggression, although it’s perfect; I cant account for why. Next time you go for a cruise, try with/without, back to back. I can pull up to a light from say 45mph, slowing down and blip into 2nd manually without much drama (noise), I do the same thing with auto blip turned on, and it sounds like Im intentionally trying to call out all the BOYS to race.
Larry Cable (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 02:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by matt0520
It's even better w BMC filters. Sweet sweet music
yep I have those installed also and its very noticable!
matt0520 (05-22-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 03:12 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

After my above post, I realized that I hadn’t used autoblip in a long time (I just instinctively do it myself). So I experimented today. Zero difference in sound or execution or the speed at which the revs jump. But I have a Spyder. Perhaps there is rev hang in the non-GT cars. There is slight yet annoying rev hang in my 992 GTS. However, it’s just something that I had to get used to. When heel-toeing in the 992, I just have to blip the throttle a split second earlier (anticipating the slight delay). I’ve gotten used to it, but I wish I didn’t have to. That being said, there is no difference in sound between doing it manually (footally?) or letting the computer do it in either of my Porsches.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 05-26-2024 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 03:20 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I haven’t found that to be the case. Heal - Toe sound when cruising around is subtle when you give the throttle a little blip to match. AUTO-BLIP for some reason adds a ton of aggression, although it’s perfect; I cant account for why. Next time you go for a cruise, try with/without, back to back. I can pull up to a light from say 45mph, slowing down and blip into 2nd manually without much drama (noise), I do the same thing with auto blip turned on, and it sounds like Im intentionally trying to call out all the BOYS to race.
How could that be the case? If you’re matching revs, the engine turns at the rate necessary such that there is no clutch slip when you release the clutch. If the engine revs higher with auto blip, that means that you’re not reving it high enough when you do it manually. Therefore, what you’re hearing is the difference between a correctly executed heel toe and an incorrectly executed one.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:28 PM
Jim Rockford
Burning Brakes

Received 493 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcomegna

Thanks everyone !
Assuming we are talking about the same thing, and pretty sure we are… it sounds kind of like a mix between a blow off valve and a gear grind yeah?

I have a 2020 Spyder as well. I wondered for a long time if my car was the only one with this noise. Then I heard it in a Matt Farah video with his Spyder when they were poking about a parking lot at low speed which made me feel at ease. I still tried to pursue an explanation from a few dealers and got a few different responses. One said it’s the sound symposer (which I wasn’t buying), the other said it’s just an intake noise and the intake is very close to your ears. I am confident now that it’s the latter, and although a pretty vile noise, it’s just part of regular operation.

It happens when you stab the throttle quickly. The auto blip creates that condition a lot so I was with you, for a while it only seemed like auto blip but as I broke the car in and would stab at the throttle more aggressively I noticed that it happened in many different conditions. It is annoying though that it happens periodically. Part of me would better like it if it were to do it every time then at least it’s consistent.

Try parking the car after a drive then letting it idle then give the throttle a quick stab; more a speedy prod than depressing to build revs. You are likely going to hear it. If you don’t first try give it a few more.

Quick Reply: Rev Match Noise ? Is it an Issue ?