Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Passing California Smog Test with Manifolds (headers) and GPF Delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 11:16 AM
GianniG60
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Passing California Smog Test with Manifolds (headers) and GPF Delete

Good morning fellow Rennlisters!
Has anyone in CA with exhaust modifications before the factory rear box (meaning manifolds/headers and/or OAP) tried to pass smog yet?
We get 8 years of freedom until we need the first smog test.
So any 2016 718 cars with exhaust mods tried to pass smog test yet?
Old 04-04-2024, 11:35 AM
btlackey
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exhaust

I passed with a full Dundon header back system in the car. (Gt4rs)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

as long as you still have cats you should be ok...
The following users liked this post:
SpyderSenseOC (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:15 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

Originally Posted by btlackey
I passed with a full Dundon header back system in the car. (Gt4rs)
@btlackey If you have a GT4RS, this car just came out so why would you get a smog test?
In CA, you don’t need one for 8 years so that’s why I was asking the owners with exhaust mods from model years 2016 or older.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GianniG60
@btlackey If you have a GT4RS, this car just came out so why would you get a smog test?
In CA, you don’t need one for 8 years so that’s why I was asking the owners with exhaust mods from model years 2016 or older.
if its registered in Ca from out of state I believe...
GianniG60 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 12:19 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
as long as you still have cats you should be ok...
@Larry Cable A set up with manifolds and OAP where the CATs are relocated to the OAP (where the GPFs are located from factory would not pass visual. Factory CATs are located at the end of the manifolds/headers.
Dundon and JCR manifold and OAP kits do not have CARB exemption and technically would not pass visual.
Visual inspection is a requirement by the state. Was hoping to get some feedback if smog test centers are indeed removing the lower underbody panel to do the visual inspection.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

@Larry Cable A set up with manifolds and OAP where the CATs are relocated to the OAP (where the GPFs are located from factory would not pass visual. Factory CATs are located at the end of the manifolds/headers.
Dundon and JCR manifold and OAP kits do not have CARB exemption and technically would not pass visual.
Visual inspection is a requirement by the state. Was hoping to get some feedback if smog test centers are indeed removing the lower underbody panel to do the visual inspection.
yep I knew that already... good luck
Old 04-04-2024, 12:46 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Good morning fellow Rennlisters!
Has anyone in CA with exhaust modifications before the factory rear box (meaning manifolds/headers and/or OAP) tried to pass smog yet?
We get 8 years of freedom until we need the first smog test.
So any 2016 718 cars with exhaust mods tried to pass smog test yet?
It's kind of a strange question as the 4.0 cars have only been in the US for about 4 years.

I guess it's relevant if a car came from out-of-state either through purchase or move.

If you're asking about early 718 non 4.0 cars we can move it over to the 718 forum.
Old 04-04-2024, 02:00 PM
btlackey
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought the car from out of state so had to smog it. Visual isn’t super easy as everything is burried.
GianniG60 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 02:21 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 443 Likes on 225 Posts

Brought my 2020 GT4 from NY and had to get it smogged for registration. Shop I went to just did OBD, no lift, no visual on cats, didn't even pop the rear deck to look for the emissions plaque (but AAA did when I went to register!).

Most places just want to take the path of least resistance; take the fee, run it through the computer, give you your print out, and get you out of there.

Edit: I have stock cats, FYI. Just posting the above to give some color as to my smog experience. Essentially I think if you have all your monitors set and confirm before heading over to the smog place, it seems like it'll be smooth sailing.

Last edited by burnergt4; 04-04-2024 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:03 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

Originally Posted by burnergt4
Brought my 2020 GT4 from NY and had to get it smogged for registration. Shop I went to just did OBD, no lift, no visual on cats, didn't even pop the rear deck to look for the emissions plaque (but AAA did when I went to register!).

Most places just want to take the path of least resistance; take the fee, run it through the computer, give you your print out, and get you out of there.

Edit: I have stock cats, FYI. Just posting the above to give some color as to my smog experience. Essentially I think if you have all your monitors set and confirm before heading over to the smog place, it seems like it'll be smooth sailing.
@burnergt4 Super helpful info!
I guess there is no way to know until I have to do it. Hoping they still want easy path in 8 years.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:06 PM
GianniG60
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
It's kind of a strange question as the 4.0 cars have only been in the US for about 4 years.

I guess it's relevant if a car came from out-of-state either through purchase or move.

If you're asking about early 718 non 4.0 cars we can move it over to the 718 forum.
@TXshaggy Asking because the older cars are still mid engined and some disassembling would be required to do visual inspection.
Not sure if the Boxster/Caymann have underbody pan like the new 718 Spyder/GT4 but those cars are all I have to go on and reason I inquired.
perhaps I should check the other forums too. 🤘🏼

Old 04-04-2024, 03:12 PM
macrs
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most smog places will simply hook your car to the OBD II and leave the car running.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:19 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

Same as above, i bought my GT4 out of state so CA DMV required me to smog before registering the car. I was fully stock at the time but the shop i took it to did not remove anything and just did the OBD and other tests. Like some have said it might just depend on the place, however i do know that the Cats are more than just a visual test. It does actually affect the output so i cant imagine you would pass a standard smog test with aftermarket headers. You cant even pass smog with after market cats in CA so i cant imagine it would pass without the OEM cats.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:25 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 586 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by macrs
Most smog places will simply hook your car to the OBD II and leave the car running.
This ^

FWIW I've bought 3 cars out of state and the procedure has been the same. You go by the DMV to have the VIN verified and they also look for the federal emissions sticker somewhere on or around the motor. That was a pain on the Carman R because I had to pull the motor cover. You then take the car to a local smog guy who enters the VIN and checks for any codes via the OBDII port. In the case of the GT4 I had to drive it around a bit and then retest because the battery had either gone dead or been disconnected and the smog system had to reset itself. The only issue one might have is if the car was still storing codes regarding the cats.

There were no visual inspections for any of them.

Last edited by RDCR; 04-04-2024 at 03:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Passing California Smog Test with Manifolds (headers) and GPF Delete