Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 Tyre upgrade 20"

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 11:51 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,005 Likes on 502 Posts

Thanks. Don't know their spring rates but Manthey's are 120/140 up from the 100/120 stock. I wanted more front end, so I tried a pair of Longacre spring rubbers in the front axle when the first set of tires was going off. Definite push in the car that was immediately reduced with the simple addition of 12 Nm spring rubbers at each front corner. Drove home with them still on the car, and although the front was stiffer, it felt more balanced front to rear. There with less pogoing of the front end off expansion joints and the car felt more as one instead of two variable axles. The changes were very noticeable to me at the track and more subtle on the street.

I figured that when putting on camber plates front and rear it would be time to adjust the front spring rate. I thought splitting the difference with the Manthey rates made sense for were I wanted to go with my car. The spring rubbers were able to quickly and conveniently confirm my intentions would work. They are so easy to install and remove that you could theoretically just use them on a track day and then take them out for the rest of your street driving. Nascar does it all day long during their races to change the balance of the car.

We used the black ones at 70 lbs which is equivalent to about 12 Nm. You could also use the blue one at 50 lbs or approximately 9 Nm. Cool and inexpensive way to tune your suspension before you drop some coin to permanently replace them. Very easy to also add these to a GT4 front so the spring rates would go from 45/80 to 57/80. This would show you the improvements that the 60/80 spring rates would make, as I have advocated for in the past.

The car is starting to feel real good now with amazing front end grip. Still working on alignment, bar, and ride height adjustments to help the rear catch up with the front.

https://www.longacreracing.com/shop....-Spring-Rubber

Last edited by lovetoturn; 04-08-2024 at 11:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lovetoturn:
BoxKing (04-09-2024), jpbacs12 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 04:22 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
Thanks. Don't know their spring rates but Manthey's are 120/140 up from the 100/120 stock. I wanted more front end, so I tried a pair of Longacre spring rubbers in the front axle when the first set of tires was going off. Definite push in the car that was immediately reduced with the simple addition of 12 Nm spring rubbers at each front corner. Drove home with them still on the car, and although the front was stiffer, it felt more balanced front to rear. There with less pogoing of the front end off expansion joints and the car felt more as one instead of two variable axles. The changes were very noticeable to me at the track and more subtle on the street.

I figured that when putting on camber plates front and rear it would be time to adjust the front spring rate. I thought splitting the difference with the Manthey rates made sense for were I wanted to go with my car. The spring rubbers were able to quickly and conveniently confirm my intentions would work. They are so easy to install and remove that you could theoretically just use them on a track day and then take them out for the rest of your street driving. Nascar does it all day long during their races to change the balance of the car.

We used the black ones at 70 lbs which is equivalent to about 12 Nm. You could also use the blue one at 50 lbs or approximately 9 Nm. Cool and inexpensive way to tune your suspension before you drop some coin to permanently replace them. Very easy to also add these to a GT4 front so the spring rates would go from 45/80 to 57/80. This would show you the improvements that the 60/80 spring rates would make, as I have advocated for in the past.

The car is starting to feel real good now with amazing front end grip. Still working on alignment, bar, and ride height adjustments to help the rear catch up with the front.

It really amazed me when I first got my GT4 just have disconnected the front and rear axles felt from each other. Even though my car is awesome now with all the mods I have done, I am still pretty disappointed in Porsche's GT department for releasing the GT4 in the state it comes from the factory. A few simple changes in spring and damper tuning would have made the car so much better out of the box. They surely should have known this with all the testing they do.
The following users liked this post:
jpbacs12 (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:23 AM
jpbacs12
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting I'll have a look at those. For the Manthey is that just spring with stock shock or is that with KW dampers? Also one thing you could look at is putting a bit of rake into your car to help with the front end.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:24 AM
jpbacs12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRZ06
It really amazed me when I first got my GT4 just have disconnected the front and rear axles felt from each other. Even though my car is awesome now with all the mods I have done, I am still pretty disappointed in Porsche's GT department for releasing the GT4 in the state it comes from the factory. A few simple changes in spring and damper tuning would have made the car so much better out of the box. They surely should have known this with all the testing they do.
Yeah crazy isn't it. The only thing is they need to account for a huge range of people, but saying that its so far away from optimal you do wonder.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:09 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,005 Likes on 502 Posts

Manthey is for their whole KW kit which has the 120/140 springs.

With stiffer 110 springs, 9.5 inch rims, and 265 tires up front, I have so much front end grip that I am at M/H front and S/S rear for the bars and just also lowered the rear by 4mm (2 turns). Next time out will be H/H on the front and S/M for the rear to make it easier for future adjustments. I feel like I am developing a new car with these front end upgrades. This more than solves all the complaints from folks like Misha about the understeer in the OEM GT4 RS.

The front tires are 27.3" tall which seems to interfere with ECS. The next set will likely be 255, but when stretched a bit over the 9.5 inch rims will be nearly equal to 265 on just a 9.0 inch wheel. Believe it or not, within a certain spectrum, wider wheels yield lower lap times than just adding wider tires.
jpbacs12 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 11:29 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,619 Likes on 921 Posts

With stiffer 110 springs, 9.5 inch rims, and 265 tires up front, I have so much front end grip that I am at M/H front and S/S rear for the bars and just also lowered the rear by 4mm (2 turns). Next time out will be H/H on the front and S/M for the rear to make it easier for future adjustments. I feel like I am developing a new car with these front end upgrades. This more than solves all the complaints from folks like Misha about the understeer in the OEM GT4 RS.

The front tires are 27.3" tall which seems to interfere with ECS. The next set will likely be 255, but when stretched a bit over the 9.5 inch rims will be nearly equal to 265 on just a 9.0 inch wheel. Believe it or not, within a certain spectrum, wider wheels yield lower lap times than just adding wider tires.
That was one of the main benefits I saw when moving to my APEX wheels, while staying with stock tire sizes. The wider front wheel stretches the stock tire size just a tad, which gives it a more direct feel and between that and the wider track, gives the front-end a noticeable amount of added authority.

A slightly stretched tire has a few benefits over oversizing the tire on a narrower wheel.
jpbacs12 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 12:01 PM
jpbacs12
Rennlist Member

Sorry been slow with the updates, Did a nice geo and corner weight on the 718 GT4. Went with the 255 on the from and 305 Nankang CRS on the rear. Feedback was very positive and the CRS were a great tyre with sustained grip even into a half hour session at spa. Going to try this on a 981 also and see how it is.
Old 07-08-2024, 01:46 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jpbacs12
Sorry been slow with the updates, Did a nice geo and corner weight on the 718 GT4. Went with the 255 on the from and 305 Nankang CRS on the rear. Feedback was very positive and the CRS were a great tyre with sustained grip even into a half hour session at spa. Going to try this on a 981 also and see how it is.
What geometry changes did you make to fit these? Tread widths are on the wider side? Front are you running camber plates? Any fender rolling? Stock wheels or Apex wheels, what specs?
Old 07-08-2024, 02:50 PM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Do you think it is worth moving also to 305 rear along with the 255 on the front (GT4 RS)?

I'm doing the geo setup now (-3 and -2.5 camber front/rear) and (-1mm and +2mm toe front/rear per wheel). I'm adding front and rear camber plates and PM toe links. Still on the OEM Dunlops
​​​​
​​
Old 07-08-2024, 02:55 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Definite push in the car that was immediately reduced with the simple addition of 12 Nm spring rubbers at each front corner.
If you’re experiencing understeer, doesn’t stiffening the front increase understeer?
Last_935 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 08:44 PM
GentianGentleman
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

The car is imbalanced from the factory on purpose to have understeer dialed in from the get go. The front tires and wheels are smaller than they could have been. ....
Interestingly, i was drivng a Mclaren GT the other day and it has 225 Front tires! Even the 750S only has a 245-295/305 setup like us.. so why do we poo-poo the Gt4 RS setup?
Old 07-09-2024, 03:58 AM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GentianGentleman
Interestingly, i was drivng a Mclaren GT the other day and it has 225 Front tires! Even the 750S only has a 245-295/305 setup like us.. so why do we poo-poo the Gt4 RS setup?
A 750s is marginally lighter (circa 40kg) and it also has less weight at the front (41% vs 44%), and I assume that a better and more modern front axle

An Exige S3 with 430bhp also has 215 from factory and fitting 225 (the max it allows ) improves the front end behaviour, cornering and braking

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Tyre upgrade 20"