Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Sell My BGTS this summer, or wait a year until they are no longer available?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 06:09 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Sell My BGTS this summer, or wait a year until they are no longer available?

So, I love my BGTS 4.0, but my wife and unexpectedly decided to send our two kids to private school in grades 7-12. We planned for everything, except this, which we had both explicitly ruled out in our planning. The best public school district in the state of Missouri was good enough for us, we said! Opps. It will end up being an extra $500k over the next 8 years, and its making me feel grumpy about highly discretionary expenses.

Anyway, if I sell it this summer, with high interest rates and new BGTS still available, do you think I'm going to feel stupid the following summer when I look at used prices? This year will be my 3-year service, so it should be (relatively) cheap. On the other hand, selling it with a longer warranty and fewer miles is probably more attractive to a buyer, and all else being equal I would expect about ~10k in depreciation per year.

I think probably I should just sell it. But I do worry I'm going to feel stupid when I look at prices come June 2025.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I'd wait if you can...
Old 03-11-2024, 06:50 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 402 Posts

Is 2025 the last year of production? In which case, waiting may make sense. If Porsche continues production and sells the gasoline cars along with the electrics, who knows? I don't think the electrics are going to catch on, at least in the US, in a big way so Porsche may well try to sell both versions.
Old 03-11-2024, 06:51 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 454 Likes on 252 Posts

Do you need the $$'s? Is it more that you just feel like you should put everything towards the kids? If you can keep it I would keep it unless you have other things giving you the same joy you have when you drive the car (assuming it makes you happy to drive the car). You don't know what tomorrow is going to bring so to me if you can swing both the school and keep the car then I would say you do that. If you need to sell the car to pay for school should you really be paying for school anyway? At least those are the questions going through my head.

But only you can decide what you want/need to do. Personally if you are going to sell I wouldn't wait. Just because they won't be making it anymore doesn't mean you will get more for the car and how much more are you really talking about? Well you won't know until next year and they could be selling for more or less. You can't predict there are too many variables. If you sell it you sell it an move on, you don't play the what if games.
The following 2 users liked this post by mwar99:
Mike981S (03-12-2024), MrFunk (03-11-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 02:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,060 Likes on 5,252 Posts

Don't forget you'd have to pay an extra year of insurance if you wait to sell.

Plus, if you sold today, you'd get the money today, and presumably put the money in something that would earn a higher RoR than waiting a year to sell the BGTS.

TL;DR if you find a buyer offering a good price, sell.
The following users liked this post:
Zhao (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 04:04 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,835 Likes on 999 Posts

It rarely makes financial sense to sell an extra car later vs now. Even with a car going up in value it's a questionable decision. As ipse says you'll get a return investing in something else, probably a much better return.

Personally I think when its discontinued you'll see a dip in prices too. That pretty much always happens as its no longer a current model and the status chasers can no longer buy a 2021 pretend people think it's a new car. I think if you're going to time the market its either right now in spring when everyone is looking for a sports car, or wait well past a year for prices to rebound, if ever. I do not think a BGTS is going to appreciate at all either personally. They never have and there is little chance it becomes a collectors car in our lifetime. You'd need at least a Spyder to expect that to happen.
Mike981S (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 08:09 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 925 Likes on 369 Posts

Why do you think there will be a sudden spike in used values at the end of production? If you want to sell it, sell it whenever you get a buyer willing to pay what you want to get out of it. It doesn't make any sense to wait until production ends all based on something that probably will have no immediate effect on value.

Last edited by TXRubicon; 03-12-2024 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2024, 08:28 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,182 Posts

If you can enjoy the car another summer, I would. But I highly doubt prices are going to go up 10% at the end of production. So if you want the money now, I’d sell it now. My take is that while the GTS 4.0 is a special car, Porsche also made a lot of NA Boxster’s.
Mike981S (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 09:07 AM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
It rarely makes financial sense to sell an extra car later vs now. Even with a car going up in value it's a questionable decision. As ipse says you'll get a return investing in something else, probably a much better return.

Personally I think when its discontinued you'll see a dip in prices too. That pretty much always happens as its no longer a current model and the status chasers can no longer buy a 2021 pretend people think it's a new car. I think if you're going to time the market its either right now in spring when everyone is looking for a sports car, or wait well past a year for prices to rebound, if ever. I do not think a BGTS is going to appreciate at all either personally. They never have and there is little chance it becomes a collectors car in our lifetime. You'd need at least a Spyder to expect that to happen.
I don't think it's appreciation per se, but more of keeping value. 981 GTS cars are holding values well, even with some miles.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:53 AM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Thanks for the responses. I see there were mixed opinions, but this one convinced me. It would have to go up quite a bit to justify keeping it. I just contacted my dealer about removing my after-market exhaust so I can sell it.
Old 03-12-2024, 11:53 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by ttcbj
Thanks for the responses. I see there were mixed opinions, but this one convinced me. It would have to go up quite a bit to justify keeping it. I just contacted my dealer about removing my after-market exhaust so I can sell it.
I remember telling my brother how much my 1M was appreciating - and his response "really? with insurance and maintenance and repairs" - he was right.

I too am getting a BGTS thinking they will go up in value, but the opposite is happening, dealers are selling them at sticker and I see used ones dropping every day. So sell now - and post it here first!
Old 03-12-2024, 12:12 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,873 Likes on 908 Posts

Sorry to hear you have to sell but in the end, kids come first and its just a car.

I may be in a similar situation to you as my wife is thinking of quitting her high-pressure tech job which would cut our income in half. It sucks because I ordered the Spyder and picked all the options with my then four-year-old so it is really her car. However, family and mental health comes first.

She is still on the fence so we will see.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:32 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 968 Likes on 457 Posts

Cars are rarely the best thing you can do with your money. The cash I paid for my Spyder would be worth 25% more today if I'd instead bought an index fund and the moon if it all into NVIDIA. While these cars hold their values, there are better ways to invest.

Mike981S (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 02:01 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 454 Likes on 252 Posts

You're buying one of these cars for the emotional investment, not the financial investment. Do I lose out on appreciation, yes, but the GT3 brought me many more smiles over 9 years than if I withdrew funds from an account 20 years from now. The cost/benefit for me skews in the way of the car because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. I am saving for tomorrow, but I need to enjoy some today as well. I don't want the regret later that I could have enjoyed something when I was able to enjoy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by mwar99:
confused66 (03-16-2024), Mike981S (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 03:33 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,543 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
You're buying one of these cars for the emotional investment, not the financial investment. Do I lose out on appreciation, yes, but the GT3 brought me many more smiles over 9 years than if I withdrew funds from an account 20 years from now. The cost/benefit for me skews in the way of the car because I don't know what tomorrow will bring. I am saving for tomorrow, but I need to enjoy some today as well. I don't want the regret later that I could have enjoyed something when I was able to enjoy it.
This 100%. While i totally get the idea of investing to have more money later, i also have first hand experience that life is just too short to miss out what could bring so much joy in the now. Yes i've wasted money on way too many cars in the past 7 years. And if i pool all the money ive spent on cars and the mods i've bought together it would easily add up to a down payment for a house here in the SF Bay Area. But like you said, the amount of smiles that i've had through the years is so much more valuable to me than the money i could have saved. I've had experiences i never would have had, i made friends i never would have met and learned so much about a subject i would know nothing about had i chosen to invest the money rather than spend it. If i could do it all over again, i'd probably just choose different cars.

Quick Reply: Sell My BGTS this summer, or wait a year until they are no longer available?