Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche NA says NEIN! to first free oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 01:16 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Porsche NA says NEIN! to first free oil change

So for those of you like me who have recently purchased a new Porsche, be aware. Porsche includes free maintenance for the first year, or 10,000 miles. Like nearly all of you, I have translated this to mean they pay for the first oil change. NEIN! I was told in no uncertain terms that they will not pay for my first oil change because it is occuring after the 1 year period. They do offer a 90 day grace period, but in my case it is just shy of 4 months after the 1st year that I brought my 2023 GT4RS in for its first dealer provided oil change.

I was the 4th customer for the week where Porsche has said no, we will not pay for your 1st oil change.

The crazy thing is there is no "*" or, disclaimer or anything. Just "it is our policy" that we will not pay for maintanance cost after the 1st year, plus the grace period.

Here are my details. The dealer is in the middle and is encouraging me to try to get customer service to fix. I did call 3 times and received 3 "no's". The customer service agent is aware of the issue but can not offer any assistance. I did contact the dealer principle and said to him - hey I purchase this car from you, not Porsche. And my contract with you says it includes the 1st year maintenance as a listed no charge option. So if it is a breach of contract on their part, it is between me the puchaser and the selling dealer.

The oil change cost $499 plus misc. I have change the oil 3 prior times even though I only have 2,200 miles on the odometer and doing it my self cost about $100 in parts.

I feel Porsche denying all the new Porsche owners their free 1st oil change is a HUGE blunder on their part.

Is your car in storage or your dealer too busy to take it in right away? - well, you are going to loose your free oil change if you go past the year plus the grace period. Are any rennlister friends with the new CEO Timo Resch? Someone needs to call him and let him know he needs to get ahead of this before it turns into a real blunder.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 03-08-2024 at 02:45 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-08-2024, 01:17 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,584 Likes on 842 Posts

I thought this was posted all over around here saying they will not do an oil change if you're 90 days before the 1 year or 90 days after the 1 year.
The following users liked this post:
rp2000r (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 01:29 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,886 Likes on 933 Posts

I attempted to get my oil changed in October. When my in-service date was May 2023. They would not do it and referenced the 3 months from in service date. Either way it is frustrating and silly because an oil change is an oil change. Not like it would take more or less time or oil, if it was 6 months or 16 months, vs the 12 months
Old 03-08-2024, 02:16 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,540 Likes on 859 Posts

I was denied a post break in oil change from Porsche. Which means they dont believe one is necessary or they just want to get your money. BMW offers a free post break in oil change thats separate from their first year maintenance oil change.

With my incoming Boxster i'll probably just do my own post breakin change.
Old 03-08-2024, 02:59 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 880 Likes on 467 Posts

Yeah it's not logical - but most manufactures are the same with this - it was the same with my Audi and Volvo at least... I wasn't surprised by this with Porsche and I just worked with it...
Old 03-08-2024, 03:25 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
I was denied a post break in oil change from Porsche. Which means they dont believe one is necessary or they just want to get your money. BMW offers a free post break in oil change thats separate from their first year maintenance oil change.

With my incoming Boxster i'll probably just do my own post breakin change.
Same here... I simply did my own post break-in oil change and then went to Porsche for my 1 year free one
The following 3 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
MrFunk (03-08-2024), Pyrat2 (03-08-2024), rp2000r (03-08-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 04:16 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
So for those of you like me who have recently purchased a new Porsche, be aware. Porsche includes free maintenance for the first year, or 10,000 miles. Like nearly all of you, I have translated this to mean they pay for the first oil change. NEIN! I was told in no uncertain terms that they will not pay for my first oil change because it is occuring after the 1 year period. They do offer a 90 day grace period, but in my case it is just shy of 4 months after the 1st year that I brought my 2023 GT4RS in for its first dealer provided oil change.

I was the 4th customer for the week where Porsche has said no, we will not pay for your 1st oil change.

The crazy thing is there is no "*" or, disclaimer or anything. Just "it is our policy" that we will not pay for maintanance cost after the 1st year, plus the grace period.

Here are my details. The dealer is in the middle and is encouraging me to try to get customer service to fix. I did call 3 times and received 3 "no's". The customer service agent is aware of the issue but can not offer any assistance. I did contact the dealer principle and said to him - hey I purchase this car from you, not Porsche. And my contract with you says it includes the 1st year maintenance as a listed no charge option. So if it is a breach of contract on their part, it is between me the puchaser and the selling dealer.

The oil change cost $499 plus misc. I have change the oil 3 prior times even though I only have 2,200 miles on the odometer and doing it my self cost about $100 in parts.

I feel Porsche denying all the new Porsche owners their free 1st oil change is a HUGE blunder on their part.

Is your car in storage or your dealer too busy to take it in right away? - well, you are going to loose your free oil change if you go past the year plus the grace period. Are any rennlister friends with the new CEO Timo Resch? Someone needs to call him and let him know he needs to get ahead of this before it turns into a real blunder.
Sorry just checking in case I misunderstood....you have 2200 miles on the car and have changed the oil three times?
The following 4 users liked this post by Big Belly 711:
Alpha Ice (03-11-2024), lilbza (03-10-2024), TXRubicon (03-08-2024), wizee (03-09-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 04:31 PM
rp2000r
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
I thought this was posted all over around here saying they will not do an oil change if you're 90 days before the 1 year or 90 days after the 1 year.
I was new to Porsche cars when I was able to buy my 21GT4 and was aware of this policy from the forums and reading around.

It would be nice if your dealership stepped up or split the cost.
Old 03-08-2024, 07:48 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,378 Likes on 837 Posts

Its not OP's first Porsche. So he was aware of the policy beforehand.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:38 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
Sorry just checking in case I misunderstood....you have 2200 miles on the car and have changed the oil three times?
​​​​​​​Yeah, that caught my attention too. Why so few?!

Last edited by Joe250; 03-08-2024 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 08:52 PM
shawfm
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm in a similar boat. Partly because the selling dealer made the in-service date 20 day earlier than the actual sale / delivery date. I'm 8 days late from the in-service or 12 days early per our sale date. Service department was trying to work through that today.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:37 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 240 Posts

So I guess I am the only guy who is pissed that Porsche is thinks its a good idea to change the deal after I purchased the car. My order included factory options, some of which were no charge including the free first year service. I'm not talking about an interpretation of an oddball warranty item. The first year free service is a factory option, included. This was on my build order, on my purchase agreement, and on the window sticker. At no where is there an "*" disclosing the time limitation on any of these documents. Further, I did a deep dive to see if the 90 policy was disclosed in my owners manual or service manual. It is not. I did find on Porsche.com/usa where they say the first year maintenance is included. It is further stated on the currrent website that "Services must be performed within 6 months or 5,000 miles of the scheduled maintenance interval, otherwise they may be forfeited". At no place that I am able to find is it stated that you have a window of 90 days the accomplish your first year service or Porsche has the right to change the deal and not pay.

Yes, I am an enthusiast and feel strongly that my beloved brand is once again shooting itself in the foot by arbitrarily changing the deal after the fact. My local service manager and dealer principle report to me that just this week they had (4) people in the same situation and they are all pissed off. Makes no sense to me whatsoever. They are hoping I will have success reaching the smarter people at Porsche to get this situation resolved for all new Porsche owners.

My service manager said he could get me a $500 goodwill voucher to pay for the oil change. I said I do not want. I'm not asking for goodwill. I am asking to Porsche to support the dealer and make good on the clear contractual promise they make every new ICE Porsche buyer. And just for the record, I simply can not believe the executives know about this - no way would they endorse screwing customers over for such a small amount of $. TIMO call me, lets fix this before it gets out of hand! How many GT4RS owners have their car is storage right now who will blow past a year to get their oil changed???

Originally Posted by cooler2442
It is self evident that since I posted this as a "be aware this is occuring post" that I had no idea Porsche was doing this.

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
I am a track guy so I overkill on the prevenative maintenance. This, plus the fact that only 1/2 the oil gets replaced with change has me thinking this is wise to stay on top of all maintenance.

Originally Posted by ExMB
Its not OP's first Porsche. So he was aware of the policy beforehand.
Another "jewel" of a post by ExMB. Of course I am not aware, how would ANY Porsche owner know about it if it is not disclosed??? This is my first new Porsche post 2018 where the first service is included.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 03-09-2024 at 12:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
JAhmed (03-09-2024), Ksdaoski (03-09-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 01:32 AM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

It depends on your relationship with the dealer. You need to have a good relationship with the service manager and/or SA. I was able to negotiate free first oil change, however I opted to take it after the first 1000 miles after break in
Old 03-09-2024, 09:32 AM
shawfm
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

My car was in storage because of the weather, I specifically took the car out to get it into service BEFORE the 3 month grace period that I kept reading about in the forum. Only to find out the car was registered in the Porsche System 20 day before I had purchased and registered the car. That is frustrating, and what the servicing dealership is trying to correct. Car was purchased through an out of state dealership.

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
.....How many GT4RS owners have their car is storage right now who will blow past a year to get their oil changed???

Old 03-09-2024, 10:38 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
…BMW offers a free post break in oil change thats separate from their first year maintenance oil change.
Only on M cars….

Quick Reply: Porsche NA says NEIN! to first free oil change