Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Leather vs race Tex sun visors

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 10:33 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Read my original thread and look at the pictures.

Frank doesn’t just simply wrap the old visors. He strips and rebuilds. The OEM visors are fat guppies, simply wrapping them makes them even more fat asses.

You can see the thickness difference in the pics.

Many places just rewrap and glue—they’ll be cheaper but not the aesthetic I’d look for.
I looked at your photos. Hard to see vinyl vs final leather depth. Still very fine work.

I’m leaning toward going back to stock sun visors. Part of the reason is that if you choose the leather or alcantara sun visors, not only do you have to deal with the stickers but you are also forced to buy the “light design” package. I’m less concerned about the cost of the light design package than I am the fact that I doubt I would actually use that package and that the extra LED lights and wiring adds weight. Maybe only a pound but that goes against the spirit of the Spyder RS.

I decided not do the illuminated door sills just for reason. Extra weight and they will break eventually. I have a friend with a 991.2 GT3 with illuminated door sills and porsche refused to replace them even though he had the porsche extended warranty.

Last edited by Drifting; 01-13-2024 at 11:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TXshaggy (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 10:56 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,112 Posts

The pictures may not show it, but I can tell you the EO visors are thinner than the stock visors.

Does that matter…perhaps.

You go EO to get deviated thread and CXX type handling and OEM++ product.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:34 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
The A pillars on the SRS are race Tex, but there is no race Tex roof like the 4RS
Great, now I have to get the Race Tex A pillars too… Really not a fan of the cheap plastic ones that came with the car. It’s weird that GT4 comes with Race Tex A pillar and roof but Spyder gets ****ty plastic ones.

In my opinion Race Tex visors would be more fitting with the A Pillars.

Also, I think you’re doing the right move with the leather Steering Wheel and ****.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:08 AM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Great, now I have to get the Race Tex A pillars too… Really not a fan of the cheap plastic ones that came with the car. It’s weird that GT4 comes with Race Tex A pillar and roof but Spyder gets ****ty plastic ones.

In my opinion Race Tex visors would be more fitting with the A Pillars.

Also, I think you’re doing the right move with the leather Steering Wheel and ****.
That's because open top cars typically do not use race-tex / alcantara due to material maintenance issues, accidental rain etc., In SRS case, Porsche really confused me here. I really wanted all leather, but if you choose Weissach pack, you have to get the race-tex, plus Cxx option to change them is not available. I think was either a design choice by Posche, or intentionally done to increase / maximize Cxx sales. Or just cost cutting move. I could be wrong, but I have to believe that Genuine leather costs more than the synthetic microfiber material. 24MY Cxx slots are all sold out or they're not offering it apparantly. My SA is going to help me locate a 718 Boxster vin with leather and matching stitching so that in case I want to replace (at least the dash), I can order the part and retrofit.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:45 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

I ordered the smooth leather visors. I ordered matte black vinyl from Amazon that I cut to cover the yellow stickers. It’s such a close match that you don’t notice it unless you stare hard then the yellow stickers don’t stand out. The rubbing alcohol trick has been hit or miss for me and the vinyl covers would stand out on the racetex visors. I haven’t tried it on the vinyl visors since I always spec the leather visors.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:50 PM
GianniG60
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RaceTex Sunvisors

I debated about smooth leather vs RaceTex sunvisors on my Spyder, too and went with smooth leather because when the top is down, they will get dirty from exposure. I also rationalized that my dash and A pillars are smooth leather with contrast stitching on so wanted to keep the smooth leather for consistency.
I daily drive my car so it gets pretty dirty by the end of the week.
I also ceramic coated my entire interior since top down driving leads to more wear and tear and dirt on the interior.
*If this was a weekend car I may have gone with more RaceTex since it would not get as dirty and I could clean it more often. I just thought smooth leather would hold up better over time.
just my .02 cents
Old 01-14-2024, 09:08 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GianniG60
I debated about smooth leather vs RaceTex sunvisors on my Spyder, too and went with smooth leather because when the top is down, they will get dirty from exposure. I also rationalized that my dash and A pillars are smooth leather with contrast stitching on so wanted to keep the smooth leather for consistency.
Wait, how are your A pillars leather? Did you go CXX or does it come in leather when you order extended leather dashboard option? Mine has leather interior but A pillars are plastic.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:19 PM
Lucifer
Rennlist Member

Received 762 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by emaw
I skipped the leather/racetex sunvisor option and instead got leather sunvisors from Exclusive Option(https://exclusiveoption.com/) so they don't have the airbag stickers. They are OEM+ quality and you can also get matching deviated stitching
Saves me the comment. This.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:21 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Wait, how are your A pillars leather? Did you go CXX or does it come in leather when you order extended leather dashboard option? Mine has leather interior but A pillars are plastic.
I have the extended dash and the a-pillar is plastic…CXX I guess?
The following users liked this post:
sin911 (01-15-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 12:19 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I have the extended dash and the a-pillar is plastic…CXX I guess?
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2024, 10:50 AM
GianniG60
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

@sin911
I used Exclusive Option for smooth leather sunvisors (no warning labels) and A pillars with contrast stitching.
everything looks factory correct.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:54 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GianniG60
@sin911
I used Exclusive Option for smooth leather sunvisors (no warning labels) and A pillars with contrast stitching.
everything looks factory correct.
Hey, post some pics of the a-pillar work. Always enjoy oogling Frank’s work!

Quick Reply: Leather vs race Tex sun visors