Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0 PSE not engaging in Sport/Sport +

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 09:31 AM
kkozar
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 718 GTS 4.0 PSE not engaging in Sport/Sport +

'21 718 GTS 4.0
Symptom: PSE not automatically activating (red light on PSE button and valves open) when Sport or Sport + is selected using the drive mode dial on steering wheel
Note: drive mode dial functions properly in all other regards....ex. damper selected in Sport +. Also PSE functions properly when button is selected...ex. light red and valves open.
Additional Note: Setting PSE (box checked) in the Individual settings via steering wheel/gauge cluster...also DOES NOT set PSE to active when I then select Individual on the steering wheel dial.

As anyone else experienced this? I've had several GTS trim p-cars and all behave the same with regard to PSE and selection of Sport/Sport +. Heck, I had a '21 Base Cayman that had Sport Chrono, PSE, etc. and it activated PSE when Sport or Sport + was selected.
For some reason this new-to-me 718 GTS forces me to manually select PSE no matter what drive mode I've selected. I've poured through the manual and all the dash and gauge menus to no avail...

(?) Is there a relay between the steering wheel dial and PSE that might be bad?
(?) Is there possibly some programming change Porsche did to this model?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-30-2023, 09:41 AM
silverscooby27
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

Previous owner may have installed a memory module for the center console buttons like the one from t-design9? Or I suppose the car could have been reprogrammed?

Old 12-30-2023, 10:04 AM
kkozar
8th Gear

Ya, I thought of that...what an awful modification. Hopefully this is not the case.
Old 12-30-2023, 11:14 AM
FazedChicken
Banned

Received 159 Likes on 120 Posts

Sounds like something the previous owner did. So the red light doesn't automatically turn on in Sport/Sport +?

If so, then it definitely sounds like they remapped it. Which is actually a good thing because by default, it's impossible to have the valves open before ~4k RPM, no matter what settings you have selected (the light lies to you). Aftermarket solutions actually open/close the valves as expected.
The following users liked this post:
sonicworld (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 12:23 PM
kkozar
8th Gear

Originally Posted by FazedChicken
Sounds like something the previous owner did. So the red light doesn't automatically turn on in Sport/Sport +?

If so, then it definitely sounds like they remapped it. Which is actually a good thing because by default, it's impossible to have the valves open before ~4k RPM, no matter what settings you have selected (the light lies to you). Aftermarket solutions actually open/close the valves as expected.
I’m not asking about valve behavior. That’s all functioning by design. I’m asking about Sport/+ activating the PSE without button pressing.
FazedChicken (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 01:01 PM
CvH
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kkozar
'21 718 GTS 4.0
Symptom: PSE not automatically activating (red light on PSE button and valves open) when Sport or Sport + is selected using the drive mode dial on steering wheel
Note: drive mode dial functions properly in all other regards....ex. damper selected in Sport +. Also PSE functions properly when button is selected...ex. light red and valves open.
Additional Note: Setting PSE (box checked) in the Individual settings via steering wheel/gauge cluster...also DOES NOT set PSE to active when I then select Individual on the steering wheel dial.

As anyone else experienced this? I've had several GTS trim p-cars and all behave the same with regard to PSE and selection of Sport/Sport +. Heck, I had a '21 Base Cayman that had Sport Chrono, PSE, etc. and it activated PSE when Sport or Sport + was selected.
For some reason this new-to-me 718 GTS forces me to manually select PSE no matter what drive mode I've selected. I've poured through the manual and all the dash and gauge menus to no avail...

(?) Is there a relay between the steering wheel dial and PSE that might be bad?
(?) Is there possibly some programming change Porsche did to this model?

Any help would be appreciated.
I have this exact problem on my CGTS 4.0. This happened after the dealer tried to fix the mode dial failed to work after they replaced the Climate Control unit due to a small crack at delivery.

The car is booked in to have a module replace this Wednesday. I really hope it works as the car has been in their workshop multiple times.
WillyDaP (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 01:32 PM
kkozar
8th Gear

Oh man that is good news! Please keep me posted. Would love to hear that it gets resolved.
Old 12-30-2023, 01:45 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 358 Likes on 167 Posts

@kkozar , with your car being a 2021--I'll presume it is still under original factory warranty. If that is the case, what about just taking it to your dealer as a 'fix under warranty' issue and let them resolve?
Old 01-05-2024, 05:21 AM
CvH
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kkozar
Oh man that is good news! Please keep me posted. Would love to hear that it gets resolved.
I am glad to confirm that the issue has resolved. They replaced the the climate control module and went through all the coding to ensure all are set correctly.
Old 04-03-2024, 01:19 PM
kkozar
8th Gear

For anyone with a 718 GTS or so equipped with PSE....note the PSE is supposed to engage with selection of the Sport/Sport +. If it doesn't you might have a bad AC Unit (main control for the center cluster). This might be a known issue by Porsche as they have a new AC unit out....prior one has been superseded. So have your local dealership take a look. BUT...be careful, if the replacement AC unit makes everything worse...they might have installed the wrong (superseded) AC Unit...trust me...I know!
slilley (04-04-2024)

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0 PSE not engaging in Sport/Sport +