Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

fire extinguisher option 509 no longer available

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2023, 02:27 PM
GTJake
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
Change in regulations. Mine was removed during shipping after Euro Delivery in the summer. Such a dumb move.
They did the same for mine too and the dealer had to order me a new one.
Old 12-12-2023, 02:31 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 523 Likes on 293 Posts

My US-based sales guy received a response from PCNA — the fire extinguisher option is not on a stop sale and is still available to order in the US; in European delivery situations there has been some trouble.
Old 12-12-2023, 09:34 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
And also not listed in the Park and Camping rules posted on their website.https://barberracingevents.com/park-rules/
I don't necessary follow the rules, but I usually know them.... ExMB, does this mean you will reply "Sorry, I stand corrected?"

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
BMPRules.pdf (213.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-12-2023, 09:50 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
I don't necessary follow the rules, but I usually know them.... ExMB, does this mean you will reply "Sorry, I stand corrected?"
Based on your history here how about providing a link from the Barber website for this pdf instead of an attachment that anybody can create.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:26 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
I respectfully disagree for the following reasons. By the way, thanks for that link.
The reason I order it on all my cars is in case I want to bring the car to a track day. There’s no drilling, no fastening, NO RESEARCH!
This -^. Buy the time you get the bits and pieces and install them yourself you’ve spent the money for the option and get nothing back for your labor which, if your time has value, means you lost money on the deal.

Originally Posted by 348SStb
My US-based sales guy received a response from PCNA — the fire extinguisher option is not on a stop sale and is still available to order in the US; in European delivery situations there has been some trouble.
Did “your guy” give a reason for the “trouble” with the FE? Made in Ukraine or something?
Old 12-13-2023, 07:46 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 523 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
This -^. Buy the time you get the bits and pieces and install them yourself you’ve spent the money for the option and get nothing back for your labor which, if your time has value, means you lost money on the deal.

Did “your guy” give a reason for the “trouble” with the FE? Made in Ukraine or something?
The PCNA guy simply gave him the information I provided… no details on the Euro delivery problems but just an acknowledgement of them.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:34 PM
OEMExtinguishers
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 6IXSPD
Change in regulations. Mine was removed during shipping after Euro Delivery in the summer. Such a dumb move.
I’ve been able to get some dealer clarification on this. Taking European delivery of your car marks it as “used” when the shipment of your car to the US is booked. Therefore, they are removing them.

As of late, there have also been instances of this happening on NEW cars at the port in Germany.

If you are still looking for one, feel free to contact me, or view our website with options!
www.OEMExtinguishers.com
The following users liked this post:
6IXSPD (12-30-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 03:43 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

AFAIK during ED its installed in the car and causes it to be removed in the majority of instances. When the car is delivered new in the US (not ED) it gets unpacked and then installed over here. Thats how Joey explained it to me.
Old 12-30-2023, 04:57 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OEMExtinguishers
I’ve been able to get some dealer clarification on this. Taking European delivery of your car marks it as “used” when the shipment of your car to the US is booked. Therefore, they are removing them.

As of late, there have also been instances of this happening on NEW cars at the port in Germany.
AFAIK during ED its installed in the car and causes it to be removed in the majority of instances. When the car is delivered new in the US (not ED) it gets unpacked and then installed over here. Thats how Joey explained it to me.
All these describe *what* is going on but not *why* it’s going on.

Why, as of a few months ago, are cars not allowed to be shipped with FEs? New regulations? Enforcement of pre-existing regulations?

It’s never been a problem before. So *why* now?
Old 12-30-2023, 05:31 PM
OEMExtinguishers
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

All these describe *what* is going on but not *why* it’s going on.

Why, as of a few months ago, are cars not allowed to be shipped with FEs? New regulations? Enforcement of pre-existing regulations?

It’s never been a problem before. So *why* now?
Honestly, not a clue. It’s just *happened*. There could have been an issue during transport on one that had a bad valve and made a mess inside a car, it could be that someone has just caught on to it. There’s only a very small amount of cars imported to the US that have this option, and most of them are Porsche. But, McLaren and Lamborghini also use the same bottle and some of those are still coming over with no problem, that I’ve heard of atleast.

Currently, our main customer base is BMW, and even the M4 GTS didn’t come with the original extinguisher mounted under the roll cage. With all of the necessary import paperwork needed to get these here after the fact, i can see why Porsche and these other manufacturers don’t want to deal with it.
Old 12-30-2023, 05:53 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

AFAIK its a Hazmat issue and always has been. Once unpacked and installed for ED it no longer meets Hazmat since PAG doesn't uninstall and repackage it for shipment.
Old 12-30-2023, 07:45 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

I am okay with this, since in-cabin storage is so limited, being able to stick things under the seat is very useful! lol

Last edited by Adrift; 12-30-2023 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:47 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Honestly, not a clue. It’s just *happened*.
Fair’nough.

There could have been an issue during transport on one that had a bad valve and made a mess inside a car, it could be that someone has just caught on to it. There’s only a very small amount of cars imported to the US that have this option, and most of them are Porsche. But, McLaren and Lamborghini also use the same bottle and some of those are still coming over with no problem, that I’ve heard of atleast.

Currently, our main customer base is BMW, and even the M4 GTS didn’t come with the original extinguisher mounted under the roll cage. With all of the necessary import paperwork needed to get these here after the fact, i can see why Porsche and these other manufacturers don’t want to deal with it.
Hmmm… Porsche vs McLaren (etc.) is interesting.

AFAIK its a Hazmat issue and always has been. Once unpacked and installed for ED it no longer meets Hazmat since PAG doesn't uninstall and repackage it for shipment.
Plausible explanation that there’s a regulation that’s only now begin enforced and apparently not for McLaren and Lamborghini.

It’s all very curious. I can see that you wouldn’t what FEs shipped by air. So, you’re gonna ship’em via boat. At that point does it *really* matter if it’s in a seat bracket in a car, or in a cardboard box along with 499 others plastic wrapped on a pallet in a shipping container? Hmmm…
Old 01-01-2024, 01:08 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Plausible explanation that there’s a regulation that’s only now begin enforced and apparently not for McLaren and Lamborghini.
We are talking ED here?

It’s all very curious. I can see that you wouldn’t what FEs shipped by air. So, you’re gonna ship’em via boat. At that point does it *really* matter if it’s in a seat bracket in a car, or in a cardboard box along with 499 others plastic wrapped on a pallet in a shipping container? Hmmm…
Government intelligence. 'Nuff said.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:23 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

We are talking ED here?
Ya lost me.

FE’s initially getting removed after ED if I read up-thread correctly. Now, apparently, 509 is not an option for ED. But, still an option for non-ED and one would assume installed at Port after being shipped in OSHA/DOT/TLA-approved containers?

Quick Reply: fire extinguisher option 509 no longer available