Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Real World Experience of Importing a Car From Canada

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 07:03 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Lefty~
Let me clarify - I didn't ask Porsche NA personally. My dealer handled those communications. I suggest if you have a good relationship with your dealer, and Porsche NA likes them, you leverage that for the ask.
ya, that can work, but for my experience, Livingston couldn’t get the letter and asked me to reach out to Porsche NA. My dealer tried, no luck, we all spent 3 months. It’s just random as I said based on some criteria, that I’m sure off.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:47 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche444
Yes, I tried Livingston and I couldn’t get letter. Never got a reason from Porsche NA, I called and emailed 30 times. Got like 1 response. Gave up after 90 days. So ya, there is no guarantee other then it’s an unknown. Lol
As I posted earlier, I had a similar experience but I didn't give up. I had to stay on them but I got it. I don't think there's any active focused intent on the part of PCNA to prevent importation. I just think that like a lot of companies, they just had resources taken away in customer service.
Old 05-26-2024, 11:54 AM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
As I posted earlier, I had a similar experience but I didn't give up. I had to stay on them but I got it. I don't think there's any active focused intent on the part of PCNA to prevent importation. I just think that like a lot of companies, they just had resources taken away in customer service.
No, you are not understanding, Porsche NA said no to letter, so again, as stated, sometimes they will, sometimes they won’t, and guessing it’s due to car specifics. How or what, who knows. See below from 2020:

Date: 9/24/20 4:52 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Rabb
Subject: Re: Letter of Compliance for purchasing 2018 GT3 in Canada and shipping to USA

Dear Mr. Rabb,

Thank you for contacting Porsche.

I have been looking into retrieving your Letter of Compliance . Unfortunately, we are not able to send a letter of compliance at this time.

I am aware that this is not the desired response however this is the best resolution for your situation.

Your patience has been most appreciated and feel free to contact me with any further questions or concerns.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,

Tiara
Porsche CXC Consultant
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Customer Experience Center
One Porsche Drive
Atlanta, GA 30354
Phone: 1-800-PORSCHE(1-800-767-7243)
Email: customersupport@porsche.com
Old 05-27-2024, 03:53 PM
kster
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

For those that have imported a car from Canada, did Porsche NA honor the warranty? Based on the comments in this BaT auction, Audi doesn't transfer the warranty when the car leaves Canada:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...i-rs6-avant-2/
Old 05-27-2024, 04:05 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by kster
For those that have imported a car from Canada, did Porsche NA honor the warranty? Based on the comments in this BaT auction, Audi doesn't transfer the warranty when the car leaves Canada:
Yes - I confirmed with my dealer by providing the VIN that the CPO warranty transferred.
The following users liked this post:
kster (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 04:10 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 484 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by kster
Neither does Mercedes-Benz or BMW... Porsche I think is the only one that does, not sure what stipulations lie in the details however.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

The following users liked this post:
kster (05-27-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 04:45 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

Porsche doesn't seem to want Canadian cars exported to the US. My understanding is that Porsche fines dealers if a car they sell gets sold in the US within a year of purchase. I had to sign documents that if the the cars I have bought (new) go over to the US within a year, I have to reimburse the dealer for this fine. If memory serves, it can be up to $20k fine.

I don't know if any other Canadians have experienced the same thing.

Quick Reply: Real World Experience of Importing a Car From Canada