Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4RS PPF Problem Areas

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 12:11 AM
thisisntatestlol
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default GT4RS PPF Problem Areas

Creating a thread to reach out to those who have had their GT4RS PPF'd. I haven't found any discussions or detailed images of tricky areas such as the lower front fenders. I just got the car back after two weeks from a full PPF, but have scheduled a follow-up to address the issues. If any of you could provide feedback on expected PPF quality, or share photos of the problem areas I've highlighted that would be greatly appreciated. I'll add specific questions under each of the photos.

Front fender louver vents
How close to the edge can the film get? Is there anyway to tuck the ppf under the vent? The gas cap also isn't tucked, doesn't seem right.

Lower front fenders + Side skirts
Can the film be tucked, and potentially avoid the seam at the hard edge at the bottom of the fender? Worried in a year or so the exposed paint will be destroyed from rocks.

A-pillars
Can these be tucked to avoid taking rocks head on? These are already starting to peel and collect dirt.

Side mirrors
Hard to see, but only the top portion is covered with film. Can it be covered with a single sheet of film, or where should I expect a seam?

Last edited by thisisntatestlol; 10-06-2023 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:53 AM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,472 Likes on 785 Posts

How much did you pay for this job? Yes 95% of what you ask for can be addressed but expect a 7-9k complete car PPF job to do it right.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:56 AM
psuwcc112
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 25 Posts

This looks like pre-cut PPF instead of the custom cut PPF.
The following users liked this post:
Dr.Bill (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 01:04 AM
thisisntatestlol
AutoX

Originally Posted by cooler2442
How much did you pay for this job? Yes 95% of what you ask for can be addressed but expect a 7-9k complete car PPF job to do it right.
It was 8k. They mentioned they use plotter software and extend the size to wrap edges, not sure how much they extended or if that even happened.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:06 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

It does not seem like the price paid reflects the quality of job here.
GT Omologata (10-09-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 02:41 AM
JD612
Track Day

Received 63 Likes on 13 Posts

That definitely looks like pre-cut and NOT custom. if they extended the edges, the PPF edges should not be visible; they should be tucked under the panel. I'm in the Los Angeles area. I paid $8k for full custom XPEL PPF, including headlights, and XPEL ceramic coat including wheels and brake calipers. I have some seams showing but all are acceptable (e.g. curvature of side mirrors and wing).
Old 10-06-2023, 08:23 AM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 585 Likes on 336 Posts

LIf they said they’d tuck it, they definitely didn’t come close… although in those high to wear areas if you’re expecting it to only last a year. The edges will be the least of your problems. I’ve never had a ppf edge show dirt even 6 years after the fact.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
thisisntatestlol
AutoX

Originally Posted by stitchtosample
LIf they said they’d tuck it, they definitely didn’t come close… although in those high to wear areas if you’re expecting it to only last a year. The edges will be the least of your problems. I’ve never had a ppf edge show dirt even 6 years after the fact.
oh sorry, I was referring to the exposed paint at the edges not the actual ppf. I’m assuming the ppf should last years.
Old 10-06-2023, 10:49 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,081 Posts

I don't see any problem areas.

Your installer used template pre-cut PPF for installation. You can expect to see gaps like this when using pre-cut film.

With that being said, the gaps do look larger than what I've experienced in a pre-cut installation. The Xpel HQ facility is in my town and they will use pre-cut, but the gaps are much smaller. Guess it comes down to the software, template, and equipment.

If the installer quoted you a custom tuck, no seam job -- then yes this is not it. What did the install contract specify?

Personally. I not a fan of the no seam custom job. It requires some disassembly of the car and in some areas they'll cut the PPF on the car.

Nothing unique to a 4RS...use the advanced search and put PPF in the search title -- hundreds of threads on this.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:44 PM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 232 Posts

Precut usuals. Could have been slightly better
Custom cut has its own issues if you want someone to take apart your brand new car
both have pros and cons. Protection will be fine though will just the little exposed area.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:09 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 819 Likes on 265 Posts

Here are some videos of 4RS PPF installs

Old 10-06-2023, 01:49 PM
thisisntatestlol
AutoX

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I don't see any problem areas.

Your installer used template pre-cut PPF for installation. You can expect to see gaps like this when using pre-cut film.

With that being said, the gaps do look larger than what I've experienced in a pre-cut installation. The Xpel HQ facility is in my town and they will use pre-cut, but the gaps are much smaller. Guess it comes down to the software, template, and equipment.

If the installer quoted you a custom tuck, no seam job -- then yes this is not it. What did the install contract specify?

Personally. I not a fan of the no seam custom job. It requires some disassembly of the car and in some areas they'll cut the PPF on the car.

Nothing unique to a 4RS...use the advanced search and put PPF in the search title -- hundreds of threads on this.
"All edges of film tucked and rolled".
A lot of discussion happened over the phone and in-person as well. I didn't expect a full custom seamless result, but discussed that the plotter allows extending to fully wrap and trim excess for clean edges. They are being super helpful with bringing the car back to fix, but wanted to reach out here to get a better idea of any info I can provide and check my expectations aren't too high.
Old 10-06-2023, 01:53 PM
thisisntatestlol
AutoX

Thanks Kirby, I've seen these! Love your cars. They did an amazing job and if I still lived in the Bay Area I'd be giving them a visit. I'm in North Texas and did not find any custom installers, all used plotters and extended the edges to wrap and trim excess. I didn't have expectations for a seamless custom install, but did expect the edges to be tucked/wrapped.
Itzkirb (10-08-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 10:21 PM
MotoFanatic
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

I’d be a little hesitant to ask the installer to roll and tuck the film without checking their work on other cars first. As a matter of fact, I’d probably go around to different installers to check their work to compare. The last thing you want is somebody, without experience, going near your car with a blade.

Something I’ve learned after all these years of modding and that is nothing ever comes out perfect. And sometimes, when you try to fix it, it actually ends up being worse. $8k for precut is a bit much unless they did other things like window tint. Instead of having them try and fix it, I might consider getting some money back instead and keeping what they did. I’ve seen a lot worse.

Good luck!
Old 10-07-2023, 05:36 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 444 Likes on 229 Posts

It's a rough job imo. A top notch ppf installer should be nearly invisible to the naked eye.

Quick Reply: GT4RS PPF Problem Areas