Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Detailers Hub - Tips and Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 09:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

I thought I'd poke in here and learn a thing or two. Knowing nothing about detailing (and its related products/methods) and then coming to this thread is absolutely mind numbing. Just tell me where in Orange County, CA they know all this and I'll take my car there. No way I can wade through all this and not be brain damaged or risk screwing up my paint.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:17 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I thought I'd poke in here and learn a thing or two. Knowing nothing about detailing (and its related products/methods) and then coming to this thread is absolutely mind numbing. Just tell me where in Orange County, CA they know all this and I'll take my car there. No way I can wade through all this and not be brain damaged or risk screwing up my paint.
The product choice is overwhelming. My goals are pretty simple, I want the car to have a nice shine befitting the design and have it easy to clean. We’re all biased by the products that we use, and I tend to use stuff friends have used that vouch for it. Is your car PPF’d, or coated, or…..? Maybe start there and people will suggest some basic products, that’s all I have.
Old 07-16-2023, 02:20 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
The product choice is overwhelming. My goals are pretty simple, I want the car to have a nice shine befitting the design and have it easy to clean. We’re all biased by the products that we use, and I tend to use stuff friends have used that vouch for it. Is your car PPF’d, or coated, or…..? Maybe start there and people will suggest some basic products, that’s all I have.

PPF'd in high impact areas but no coating. The pic below is what I used to negotiate the price with the dealer at the time of sale. No headlight coverage, though. I heard that was a no-no.

Just washed it for the first time since taking delivery in May of 2022 because the dealer left it outside to rot while they had it for the 3.5 day oil change!

Old 07-16-2023, 03:18 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Wow, you’ve only washed it once is 14 months! Well you’ve got some raw PPF (I found that horrible, sticky, dust attracting) and some raw paint. So you’re staring from scratch which I suppose is a plus.

My first car I took to a shop for the following:
  • paint correction (buff basically)
  • PPF same as you
  • Ceramic coating (cQuartz)
That’s it, then I simply washed it with 2 buckets.

This time I did the following on what was a slightly used car:
  • Full PPF wrap (the thick xpel stuff). The paint isn’t perfect underneath but I needed it wrapped before delivery.
  • Applied a spray on ceramic / graphene coating (2 coats) over the PPF, windows, and trim. LINK
  • Will now simply wash properly and re-apply that stuff when needed, my guess is 6 months, it was very easy to apply - literally spray on and buff off.
  • Things I might do: look at a topping spray to put over the coating at wash time.
That’s it. I don’t get as complicated as some here, but it is a deep rabbit hole! You’ll be amazed at the shine of the car if you apply the stuff I did (or something similar).
Old 07-16-2023, 06:18 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, you’ve only washed it once is 14 months! Well you’ve got some raw PPF (I found that horrible, sticky, dust attracting) and some raw paint. So you’re staring from scratch which I suppose is a plus.

• PPF same as you

• Full PPF wrap (the thick xpel stuff). The paint isn’t perfect underneath but I needed it wrapped before delivery.
  • Applied a spray on ceramic / graphene coating (2 coats) over the PPF, windows, and trim. LINK
  • Will now simply wash properly and re-apply that stuff when needed, my guess is 6 months, it was very easy to apply - literally spray on and buff off.
  • Things I might do: look at a topping spray to put over the coating at wash time.
That’s it. I don’t get as complicated as some here, but it is a deep rabbit hole! You’ll be amazed at the shine of the car if you apply the stuff I did (or something similar).
what do u use to buff out the adam's coating?
Old 07-16-2023, 06:53 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

• PPF same as you

Just be mindful, that any topper will mask the primary coating's function. So you should use toppers that are similar. E.g. if you have a ceramic coating, then use something like Gyeon WetCoat, Kamikaze OverCoat, Gyeon Ceramic Detailer. Don't put a ceramic topper over a Graphene coating.

I actually just use toppers now on my GTS with PPF. After 1 year I didn't renew the Gyeon PPF Ceramic. I don't see the point of a full ceramic on PPF as they don't last long. On my SUV without PPF I use ceramic coatings that last 1-2 years, plus toppers every few months. I tried Graphene on the roof of the SUV, but don't really like Graphene vs ceramic.
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (07-16-2023)
Old 07-16-2023, 07:38 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shiftgear
what do u use to buff out the adam's coating?
I applied with the first time with a “suede” square but that was tough in the curves (to hold on to), second time I used a microfibre sponge - perfect. Buff with a quality towel, I’m partial to these ones and used about 4 for the entire car.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:44 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

The Rag Company makes great MF towels (https://www.detailstore.com.au/colle...QaAp68EALw_wcB)

Also, if you use any towel/applicator for a ceramic coating, you need to throw it away after. Else it will scratch the finish on the next use.

Just careful how you wash/care for MF towels

Old 07-23-2023, 07:43 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Adam’s soap came - that was a good deal (we need some good deals once in a while LOL). I have 2 coats of the graphene / ceramic on now and the shine is really nice and the water beads as it should. Disappointed with the feel though, the smooth feeling really only lasted a few days. Not sure that matters or not, just an observation. Looking forward to trying the soap out next wash.

On a side note, the car is so dark that it shows every little ding in the PPF. Then you have to look at that for as long as the panel is on. I could easily touch the paint up with my Dr. Colorchip set and not see it. I don’t want to debate PPF here, but it is something I’ve been thinking of - maybe not so great on dark cars.

The following users liked this post:
CDACH (07-27-2023)
Old 07-23-2023, 08:27 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 574 Likes on 330 Posts

I'm using the Karcher cube for pressure washing, any solutions to make this thing quieter? Got my first complaint from my neighbor today using my pressure washer. Unfortunately I have to play the game as I'd rather not have an apartment above me throw something on me/the car

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
Old 07-24-2023, 08:21 AM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 826 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by stitchtosample
I'm using the Karcher cube for pressure washing, any solutions to make this thing quieter? Got my first complaint from my neighbor today using my pressure washer. Unfortunately I have to play the game as I'd rather not have an apartment above me throw something on me/the car
Do you do your washes outside? If so perhaps have the PW in the garage with the door as closed as possible. Run a longer hose if needed. This will keep the noise inside at least. Appart from that I don't know that there is much else you can do. One of my criteria in finding a new PW was the sound level... none of them seem to list that though. I ended up buying an Active 2.0 which is decent for noise but still not what I'd call quiet. I do all my washing inside the garage though so neighbors never hear anything.
Old 07-25-2023, 04:02 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Unfortunately the way my backyard/garage is set up won't allow that. Washing a car in NYC is tricky, even trickier using a PW. I might try to tuck the Karcher in a hallway and run longer hoses to and fro.
Old 07-25-2023, 04:41 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by stitchtosample
Unfortunately the way my backyard/garage is set up won't allow that. Washing a car in NYC is tricky, even trickier using a PW. I might try to tuck the Karcher in a hallway and run longer hoses to and fro.
Corrugated box with sound deadening material lining the inside…

With regards to your neighbor; did they complain due to the time you chose to wash the car? This would be the only reason I would take their complaint into consideration, otherwise, ignore them, as you have a right to do you, so wash away. Their complaints to others would most likely fall on deaf ears, unless you’re washing during so called quiet hours. I wash my car at my complex, but I do so after 8am, and before 8pm. I also don’t use my leaf blower when I wash at my complex, bc that thing is ridiculously loud!
Old 07-25-2023, 04:46 PM
Southbama
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Just be mindful, that any topper will mask the primary coating's function. So you should use toppers that are similar. E.g. if you have a ceramic coating, then use something like Gyeon WetCoat, Kamikaze OverCoat, Gyeon Ceramic Detailer. Don't put a ceramic topper over a Graphene coating.

I actually just use toppers now on my GTS with PPF. After 1 year I didn't renew the Gyeon PPF Ceramic. I don't see the point of a full ceramic on PPF as they don't last long. On my SUV without PPF I use ceramic coatings that last 1-2 years, plus toppers every few months. I tried Graphene on the roof of the SUV, but don't really like Graphene vs ceramic.
I am using HALO by GTechniq on my PPF. It is made for PPF and I am happy with the results. Easy to apply, lasts a year. Prior to application, I use a product by Gyeon (cant remember name) and a black pad, low speed and virtually no pressure to prepare the surface.
Old 07-25-2023, 06:20 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by BoxKing
Corrugated box with sound deadening material lining the inside…

With regards to your neighbor; did they complain due to the time you chose to wash the car? This would be the only reason I would take their complaint into consideration, otherwise, ignore them, as you have a right to do you, so wash away. Their complaints to others would most likely fall on deaf ears, unless you’re washing during so called quiet hours. I wash my car at my complex, but I do so after 8am, and before 8pm. I also don’t use my leaf blower when I wash at my complex, bc that thing is ridiculously loud!

Maybe a box with some sound deadening. I would love to use a blower but not ready to explain to the world what I'm doing.

Its def a pick your battles type of thing as nothing surprises me in NYC anymore for what people will do if provoked.

Quick Reply: Detailers Hub - Tips and Q&A