Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Detailers Hub - Tips and Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 05:44 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxKing
PSA on Graphene, its all a gimmick, these products have been debunked by many well known scientists, who also happen to be in the professional car care product world. Its actually very funny watching the owner of Ethos trying to defend his products when he has little to no scientific data to support his claims. Graphene needs to have a perfect single mesh layer to perform, and there is no current/future way this can be achieved via liquid applications. Whether its an SiO2, or Ceramic product, both are just discolored formulas with false claims of superior performance. This doesn’t mean their base formula (prior to adding Graphene) isn’t quality, they just dont have more value as a standalone product at a higher price point than its counterpart.

I steer clear of all Chemical Guys products - most of them have strong dyes in their formula, especially their interior care products. I used one of their interior detail products a few years ago, and my fingers looked like I soaked them in yellow highlighter liquid - or like my aunts fingers after smoking a carton of cigs! There is no way I would want this transferred onto my interior.

Interior is exclusively cared for by KC Pol Star. Two different dilution ratios for deep/light cleaning, and it works on every surface of the interior.

Tire dressing is CP Pearl. I keep trying others, but at the end of the day I go back to Pearl; which leaves a matte finish. Application prep is key. You will never use a tire cleaner, and scrub brush with proper results, though this is a great first step. You should always use a crappy cloth (disposable quality), to wipe them down with an APC product (diluted Green Star), prior to application. This process doesn’t need to be repeated every time you apply, but should when you see your product of choice starting to fade, for a proper reset.

Right now Im trying to choose which top coat I will use next. Currently I use PA Cosmic Spritz, but as mentioned about CG’s above, this stuff has a purple hue to it (crazy expensive too), which makes me wonder if Im altering the way the paint appears, even if its barely noticeable. Otherwise this stuff works very well. I’ll probably move to KC SO.O2, combined with KC FSE. Open to other suggested combinations….
+1 on Graphene... it is good in some applications, such as the one from 303, but I don't find it superiors or on par with SiO2. Currently a big fan of Kamikaze OverCoat 5.2 as a topper on my PPF CGTS. I have been using DuraSlic FlowX on another car and I have never experienced hydrobics like that, it is insane.

Good tire dressings are CP Pearl or Darkside, Koch Chemie PSS, Gyeon SiO2 dressing.
Old 07-09-2023, 06:23 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

The Duraslic site doesn’t tell you much. How is it applied, what can you apply it too?

https://www.duraslic.com/product/pro...amic-top-coat/
Old 07-09-2023, 08:19 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 461 Posts

Goddamn, I took my eyes off Kamikaze for a handful of months and they’re now on OC 5.2!!! I still have a little of my OC 2.0 left, but got tired of how the sprayer tip on the bottle kept popping out.

DuraSlic looks promising, but Im not sure if this is safe for PPF… though I’d assume so. @UncleDude watch the video on the site by Pan, he shows how to apply. It’s basically the same as all other applications. @RoadrunnerGTS are you using this on PPF?

The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (07-09-2023)
Old 07-09-2023, 08:27 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
+1 on Graphene... it is good in some applications, such as the one from 303, but I don't find it superiors or on par with SiO2. Currently a big fan of Kamikaze OverCoat 5.2 as a topper on my PPF CGTS. I have been using DuraSlic FlowX on another car and I have never experienced hydrobics like that, it is insane.

Good tire dressings are CP Pearl or Darkside, Koch Chemie PSS, Gyeon SiO2 dressing.

I have PSS and found it to be not viscous enough for my tastes when using regular tire applicators. I switched to using microfiber applicators for this product, but it’s tiring/costly to keep buying pads that I toss in the trash. Have you applied this to any matte plastic trim? I have used it on my sisters severely damaged trim, and it worked wonders, but I have not found my lady nuts to use it on the Rorschaaaa.
Old 07-09-2023, 08:31 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Goddamn, I took my eyes off Kamikaze for a handful of months and they’re now on OC 5.2!!! I still have a little of my OC 2.0 left, but got tired of how the sprayer tip on the bottle kept popping out.

DuraSlic looks promising, but Im not sure if this is safe for PPF… though I’d assume so. @UncleDude watch the video on the site by Pan, he shows how to apply. It’s basically the same as all other applications. @RoadrunnerGTS are you using this on PPF?
Pan will flog anything, not a huge fan.

Update on the Adam’s, it went on both cars really easily and resulted in a smooth finish. I put it on everything, glass trim and PPF. The water shed just as good as the pro job I had done on the GTS a few years ago. I’ll see how long it lasts, and the Porsche is going to get another coat soon to make sure I didn’t miss any spots. So many products! I’m sure I’ll try something after this is used up, but it might take a couple years to get through the bottle.

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...8482;-advanced

Last edited by UncleDude; 07-09-2023 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 10:50 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Pan will flog anything, not a huge fan.

Update on the Adam’s, it went on both cars really easily and resulted in a smooth finish. I put it on everything, glass trim and PPF. The water shed just as good as the pro job I had done on the GTS a few years ago. I’ll see how long it lasts, and the Porsche is going to get another coat soon to make sure I didn’t miss any spots. So many products! I’m sure I’ll try something after this is used up, but it might take a couple years to get through the bottle.

https://adamspolishes.com/collection...ting™-advanced
ibe been using that for about a year and will say I agree, goes on and off easy, I used it on everything as well, for me it lasts about 10 washes, and changed my mind about ever getting a pro ceramic job done again, the effort for dollar and results with this product is inline for me personally to avoid a pro job
Old 07-09-2023, 10:52 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jamesrg
ibe been using that for about a year and will say I agree, goes on and off easy, I used it on everything as well, for me it lasts about 10 washes, and changed my mind about ever getting a pro ceramic job done again, the effort for dollar and results with this product is inline for me personally to avoid a pro job
good feedback, are you putting a topper of any kind on after / during washes….this topic is endless LOL and I am trying hard not to just by products because it is fun trying stuff. This Adam’s stuff seems like good value.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:06 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

good feedback, are you putting a topper of any kind on after / during washes….this topic is endless LOL and I am trying hard not to just by products because it is fun trying stuff. This Adam’s stuff seems like good value.
Since this is basically an SiO2, you’d just apply this after a wash from time to time, but not as liberally as you would on the primary coat, post decon wash.
Applying another product would not give you the same results as the Adams as a standalone - the characteristics would take on the properties of the new top layer product used, and possibly change the appearance of the shine/depth of the paint.

This product is a standalone sealant, and designed as a sacrificial layer for coated cars, so the instructions on usage will be the same for any and all “like” products

Last edited by BoxKing; 07-09-2023 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:42 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

The Duraslic site doesn’t tell you much. How is it applied, what can you apply it too?

https://www.duraslic.com/product/pro...amic-top-coat/
Old 07-09-2023, 11:47 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Duraslic FlowX is best on paint. It is ok on plastics and PPF, but something like Gyeon CanCoat EVO I find is great on PPF, being easy to apply every 12 months, plus add Kamikaze OC on top of it.

Kamikaze also has this great new product, called Anti-Aging Cleanser No. 5. It basically will remove any temporary waxes and sealants, so your new coating gets the best bond possible. Safe on PPF too.

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 07-09-2023 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:47 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 92 Posts

I just started using XPEL detainer for in between washes, so far I like it better than the speed shine I was using, the XPEL stuff doesn’t seem to leave as many streaks or attract dust
Old 07-11-2023, 06:55 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Since you’re already using the Graphene Coating, I think this would be a great product to round out your current exterior care routine.
I’ve been toying with the idea of adding Koch Chemie NMS (diluted with Reset in my Foam Canon) vs. using another sacrificial coating such as Over Coat/Cosmic Spitz, that have to be repeatedly applied by hand. For me, pinning down quality products is easy, my main focus now is simplifying the detailing process, without sacrificing the results.

Limited-time deal for Prime Members: Adam's Graphene Shampoo 16oz - Graphene Ceramic Coating Infused Car Wash Soap - Powerful Cleaner & Protection In One Step - pH Neutral, High Suds For Foam Cannon, Foam Gun, Or Detailing Bucket https://a.co/d/eZeVHWD
Old 07-11-2023, 11:59 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Since you’re already using the Graphene Coating, I think this would be a great product to round out your current exterior care routine.
I’ve been toying with the idea of adding Koch Chemie NMS (diluted with Reset in my Foam Canon) vs. using another sacrificial coating such as Over Coat/Cosmic Spitz, that have to be repeatedly applied by hand. For me, pinning down quality products is easy, my main focus now is simplifying the detailing process, without sacrificing the results.

Limited-time deal for Prime Members: Adam's Graphene Shampoo 16oz - Graphene Ceramic Coating Infused Car Wash Soap - Powerful Cleaner & Protection In One Step - pH Neutral, High Suds For Foam Cannon, Foam Gun, Or Detailing Bucket https://a.co/d/eZeVHWD
I bought the shampoo and go the eye roll from the boss LOL…. on the Adam’s they call it both a ceramic and a graphene. So not sure if it is truly a mix or just enough of one ingredient for them to claim both in the label. We’ll see how it lasts, and I’m going to apply another coat this weekend or next. This time I’ll use the microfibre sponge, as I found the small square applicator suedes a bit hard to hold in the curves.

Thanks for the link! Good savings.
Old 07-15-2023, 12:45 PM
GT4_trip
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
100%. My cars are ceramic and/or PPF'd.

Trick with ceramic coated cars is decon wash few times a year (Carpro and Gyeon make good decon shampoos), plus use an iron remover. Then add a topper to act as a sacrificial layer. Doing this will make your base ceramic coating last much longer than manufacturer spec'd. People often think that their ceramic coat is done, but it simply is clogged up with contaminants.

Remember, prepping surface is key.
thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering why my gentian blue GT four no longer had the pop visually and I thought it was the ceramic coat. I use car pro reset in my most recent wash yesterday and it really brought back the color and shine back to what it used to be. I’m going to be more judicious before applying anything on top of my ceramic coat based on my experience.
Old 07-15-2023, 06:03 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 548 Likes on 254 Posts

For the GT scoop in the front, I put my air dryer in there and blast it out. That helps with the big spray after a wash which is super annoying. I use a Big Boi air dryer - highly recommend, it is the best tool I have in the car wash arsenal.
I ended up buying one of these, definitely better than hand drying, however I do notice that I still get very tiny beads of water in some areas, that are visible when they dry on the car. Do you find this also? I'm wondering if I need a very light once over with a microfibre cloth after doing the initial blow dry

Quick Reply: Detailers Hub - Tips and Q&A