Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 spyder daily?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 11:50 AM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 929 Likes on 434 Posts

OP you're talking about the RS as a daily driver right? Yeah, no.
The following users liked this post:
Sharm (06-13-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 12:00 PM
MaddMike
Drifting

Received 1,739 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
Unless you just gotta have the humps, get the GTS with sofas as a daily. And that's assuming you just gotta have the 4L. The base and S are probably every bit as good for a DD around any populated area. None of them suck.

Personally, the idea of a highly specialized performance car being used as a daily feels like a waste. Get a base, save a ton, and very nearly duplicate the (city driving) experience of the spyder (unless you want the attention). Since this is your first Porsche, chances are any in the line will open your eyes (in a good way). Drive them all, if you can. Don't just buy the halo car because it IS the halo car.

Random musings.
Nah, life is too short to drive normal cars every day. I mainly use my Spyder with full Kline exhaust and CF seats and a V4 Italian superbike that likes to overheat in traffic. You got to live on the edge.

Last edited by MaddMike; 06-12-2023 at 12:05 PM.
welikethetrack (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 12:39 PM
Xxyion
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,127 Likes on 622 Posts

I think the answer we really need from OP is what are his daily driving conditions like? How often do you go into areas which are less than ideal? How often are you stuck in traffic?

As someone who dailies their GT4 and a few years ago drove an S2000 as a daily driver. I personally think a normal 718 Spyder would be fine for a daily. The Spyder RS however is a bit of a different beast. I say this only because i think there's no back window(unconfirmed for me)? And that alone would make me not want to daily this car. If you live in the mid-west or in one of those areas where it's just wide open roads all the time and your downtown is just a quaint little town where everyone knows each other? Ok maybe the RS wouldn't be terrible. But if you're like me and traffic all day everyday and parking in areas with known car break-ins...then the lack of a rear window would give me pause.

That being said it seems like most of your concerns are related to comfort and i think most people have answered that on here. I personally dont have an issue with my bucket seats as i drive the car every day. I dont have any issue getting in or out...however i'm a very skinny guy and that works to my advantage. And as for soft top driving, my S2000 was honestly perfectly fine and that is a 20 year old car that at brand new costed half of what a new Porsche costs. You'll be fine insulation and noise wise.

My vote is Yes...but under specific circumstances.
Old 06-12-2023, 02:08 PM
muiz
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I don’t have a spyder but I have a 718 GT4 that I daily. IMO as long as you have the 18 way seats it’s pretty comfortable and doable!
GTSPYDER23 (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 02:11 PM
Le Petit Garage
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 535 Likes on 311 Posts

You can definitely daily these cars, I take my GT4 thats lowered around Brooklyn for groceries at times and its fun.

Contact me for the best pricing on Quality Parts
- alex@lepetitgarage.us

LePetitGarage.us // @_lepetitgarage on Instagram
The following 2 users liked this post by Le Petit Garage:
colnagoG60 (06-13-2023), GTSPYDER23 (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 02:16 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 432 Posts

I personally would not want to DD a Spyder for one major reason: the roof.

While the top is not a PITA in the regular Spyder, it is not a moments work and you need to lean over the rear fenders to put up the top, which has caused my clothes to get dusty/dirty multiple times. Would not want to show up to work with dirty clothes, would look unprofessional. Especially if you're going to get a SRS, it will be a pain to deal with the top driving to work. Imagine if you're running late to a meeting and you cannot leave the top down, what are you going to do? I don't like leaving the top down when I go to grab coffee/tea or buy groceries, just don't feel comfortable.

The car is comfortable enough to be a DD, the suspension is compliant but firm, the clutch and shifter are easy and do not require so much effort. Bluetooth connection makes life easy in terms of calls or music (though calls are not easy at highway speeds due to ambient noises emitted into the cabin through the uninsulated roof). The front lip makes approaching driveways complicated to say the least.

If you want to DD, a Cayman/Boxster GTS 4.0 would be a much better car to live with. But you already know that
Old 06-12-2023, 02:26 PM
shiftgear
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

if u have the means to get a RS then u can certainly get another car to serve as a daily
MrFunk (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 03:09 PM
Adrift
Race Car

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Nah, life is too short to drive normal cars every day. I mainly use my Spyder with full Kline exhaust and CF seats and a V4 Italian superbike that likes to overheat in traffic. You got to live on the edge.
If this is a first Porsche, and unless they are a power junkie, ANY boxster / cayman will be an amazing experience, IMO. The vanilla models make the C&D Top 10 EVERY SINGLE YEAR since forever for a reason.

There is always a better car, if you keep raising the acceptable cost ceiling. A spyder is an arbitrary point on that sliding scale.

At the core of it, this question to a broad audience with very few details on what is important to the OP is like asking folks what is their favorite color.

The most interesting thing here is how a new Porsche person is on "a list" for an SRS. (if that is a credible statement)

Last edited by Adrift; 06-12-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 03:37 PM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 516 Posts

I have an Audi RS5 as my daily driver. Still plenty of fun (in a turbo kind of way), quite comfortable, and great utility. You can daily almost any car. Depends what you are willing to have to cope with and the environment in which you are driving. I would not have a Spyder as my only vehicle. It is a little too low, and the roof is a bit of a pain to have to put up and down too frequently as in the case of a daily driver. It is definitely a car that falls into the "special driving experience" category for me. The RS5, on the other hand, is a phenomenal daily driver, fast as hell, but falls short of a truly sublime driving experience.

Last edited by VVG; 06-12-2023 at 08:08 PM.
colnagoG60 (06-13-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 03:53 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 712 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by shiftgear
if u have the means to get a RS then u can certainly get another car to serve as a daily
The most sensible post on this thread!
Old 06-12-2023, 04:39 PM
GTSPYDER23
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Garage
Anyone daily drive a 718 spyder? Pros? Cons? I'm not worried about trunk space or only having two seats. My biggest concern is the top. How's the road noise? Any issues with retaining heat when colder/AC when warmer? Any waterproof issues? On the list for the RS spyder but wife is pushing for something a bit more "practical". This would be my first Porsche.
I daily my Spyder. Had similar concerns as you. I am 100% fine with it. I leave the top up more than I thought however since I daily it, as result, the top is never an issue. I actually enjoy taking the top up and down. Seriously. The car is completely comfortable. Only issue was learning how to deal with the front end. CA has some steep transitions between streets sometimes.
GTS_Garage (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 04:54 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 606 Likes on 279 Posts

I hated daily driving my GT4 especially since I'm in the gym two hours a day, 4-6 days a week, and leaving late at night
Old 06-12-2023, 05:40 PM
GTS_Garage
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daily driving usually consists of going into the office once or twice a week paired with kids soccer practice and the occasional errands. No issues with clearance and fortunately don’t have to worry about public lots (garage at home and garage at work). My winter daily is a Tesla so this would be a summer daily (and even then I would probably leave it in the garage on days it’s raining bad).

No concerns with putting the top up and down. I was a bit bummed when I saw the videos of the RS top (but that’s coming from someone who will drive the car when it’s wet out).

Biggest challenge going with the regular Spyder will be finding the spec with production done. Hoping for silver with the red Spyder interior. Buckets would be a plus but not required. Pdk is a must for this one. Obviously blank slate if I go the RS route.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:42 PM
GTS_Garage
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
When I worked I used to drive a Viper to work about half the time, suburbs and city driving (30 minutes each way) and I would have no problem doing the same in my Spyder.
How’s the interior noise level compared to the viper? I regularly get interior cabin levels of 95+ decibels at higher speeds on the highway.
Old 06-12-2023, 05:43 PM
GTS_Garage
8th Gear

Originally Posted by sin911
The most sensible post on this thread!
Ha! Totally. But who wants a boring commute?

Quick Reply: 718 spyder daily?