Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GT4 Side Scoop Clips vs Screws

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 12:13 AM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'm not sure I can bring myself to put holes in the rocker panels like that!
Yeah, I would not want to either. But, there is a positive: even if you decide to go back stock (to sell the vehicle or whatever reason), they will be hidden behind the original plastic trim anyways.

I'm with @ExMB, I'd rather have a professional body shop drill the holes and install them.
Old 04-03-2024, 03:40 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 565 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
It did not work for me. For casual street driving, maybe - but once you get to velocities where time dilation has be considered mine got loose.
So I put a GT4 kit on my CGTS including front bumper, side scoops and rear spoiler. Riding around town and on the expressways everything seemed fine. I took the car to Sebring a couple weeks ago and got it up to 123 mph. When I got out of the car I noticed that the OEM GT4 side scoops had bulged out. I pushed the left side in and heard it click into place. I took pictures of the right side and then also pushed straight in and heard it click into place.

I called Flat 6 Motorsports who installed the GT4 kit and asked him about the 3M VHB tape that I put on the car and he did not remember installing the scoops with the VHB tape. I knew that I put the tape on both scoops before I gave it to him and I thought that I was riding around with the scoops attached with the clips AND tape. He said that he would stand behind his work and to take it to a Porsche dealer or shop and have them take off the scoops, put on the VHB and put the scoops back on and he would cover the costs.

None of the dealers near me wanted to do the project and I was directed to Eurowerks because they work on a lot of Porsche’s and other high end cars. In speaking with Scott, he didn’t believe that the tape and clips would be able to keep the scoops on at sustained track speeds. He suggested that we take the side panels off and screw it in like the factory does. So I took it back yesterday and they did a great job and photographed the process for me.

It turns out that the 3M VHB tape that I put on was still there but painted over so well that it wasn’t as noticeable to the installer. The VHB tape covering was removed and the scoop was clipped back into place. It was then screwed to the side panels and then they applied panel bond to all of the tabs/clips that came through the panel. Between the VHB tape, screws, clips and panel adhesive the scoops should not come off at prolonged track speeds. If it flys off, then it just was not meant to be.

3M VHB tape painted overp

After seeing how much of the rear three clips came through the side panel, I am not sure that I would track a car with just clips and nothing else. I know others have said that the OEM scoops work with just clips but it did not work for me. I thought I had them attached to the car with both tape and clips but that was not the case for me. So in my case, the clips alone were not enough to keep the scoops in place. Like @cbracerx. said they might work at lower street speeds but not at track speeds.

Last edited by OldJedi; 04-04-2024 at 08:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:51 PM
matt0520
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 39 Posts

Did the scoop rub the paint off the rocker? or is that just on the scoop
Old 04-03-2024, 03:52 PM
Joe250
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Yeah, I would not want to either. But, there is a positive: even if you decide to go back stock (to sell the vehicle or whatever reason), they will be hidden behind the original plastic trim anyways.

I'm with @ExMB, I'd rather have a professional body shop drill the holes and install them.
Careful! If you test mark where the 3 holes will need to go thru the painted valence to attach the scoops, then refit the original non-GT4 intake, you'll see that 1 of the holes will be clearly visible if you ever go back to stock. I only used 2 of the 3 screws then used 3M double-sided tape at the top. The tape was more to improve the looks more than anything else, as it helped hold the top of the scoop inwards towards the body.

Between the newer interlocking GT4 scoop design, using 2 of the 3 screws, and adding the tape, I'm confident the scoops aren't going anywhere. Why ruin the bodywork and paintwork unnecessarily.

Last edited by Joe250; 04-03-2024 at 03:58 PM.
Larry Cable (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 03:56 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,382 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I added a few pieces of 3M tape after I had them on for a while since they would pop out a little as well, but the 3M tape they have not budged, with countless triple-digit speed runs.
Larry Cable (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 04:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,291 Posts

Originally Posted by OldJedi
So I put a GT4 kit on my CGTS including front bumper, side scoops and rear spoiler. Riding around town and on the expressways everything seemed fine. I took the car to Sebring a couple weeks ago and got it up to 123 mph. When I got out of the car I noticed that the OEM GT4 side scoops had bulged out. I pushed the left side in and heard it click into place. I took pictures of the right side and then also pushed straight in and heard it click into place.

I called Flat 6 Motorsports who installed the GT4 kit and asked him about the 3M VHB tape that I put on the car and he did not remember installing the scoops with the VHB tape. I knew that I put the tape on both scoops before I gave it to him and I thought that I was riding around with the scoops attached with the clips AND tape. He said that he would stand behind his work and to take it to a Porsche dealer or shop and have them take off the scoops, put on the VHB and put the scoops back on and he would cover the costs.

None of the dealers near me wanted to do the project and I was directed to Eurowerks because they work on a lot of Porsche’s and other high end cars. In speaking with Scott, he didn’t believe that the tape and clips would be able to keep the scoops on at sustained track speeds. He suggested that we take the side panels off and screw it in like the factory does. So I took it back yesterday and they did a great job and photographed the process for me.

It turns out that the 3M VHB tape that I put on was still there but painted over so well that it wasn’t as noticeable to the installer. The VHB tape covering was removed and the scoop was clipped back into place. It was then

will you post pics of the process? also what did they charge for this?
Old 04-03-2024, 04:37 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 747 Likes on 405 Posts

Mine haven't moved yet either but I'll keep an eye on them. Can always screw them in I guess if needed.
Larry Cable (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 04:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Mine haven't moved yet either but I'll keep an eye on them. Can always screw them in I guess if needed.
yeah but its quite involved to remove the rocker panels in order to apply the screws...
Old 04-03-2024, 05:00 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe250
Careful! If you test mark where the 3 holes will need to go thru the painted valence to attach the scoops, then refit the original non-GT4 intake, you'll see that 1 of the holes will be clearly visible if you ever go back to stock. I only used 2 of the 3 screws then used 3M double-sided tape at the top. The tape was more to improve the looks more than anything else, as it helped hold the top of the scoop inwards towards the body.

Between the newer interlocking GT4 scoop design, using 2 of the 3 screws, and adding the tape, I'm confident the scoops aren't going anywhere. Why ruin the bodywork and paintwork unnecessarily.
If you don't go on the track, 2 screws will probably do the trick. Probably... YMMV. Top Speed Closed Course Desert runs are in the same category as "the track"
Old 04-03-2024, 05:11 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,325 Likes on 792 Posts

So I took it back yesterday and they did a great job and photographed the process for me.
Let see the pics.
Old 04-03-2024, 06:02 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Let see the pics.
Pics of the process shown here https://www.718forum.com/threads/201...-5#post-362041
Old 04-03-2024, 09:42 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Let see the pics.
Sorry !! Something came up in the middle of my writing this and I just posted it so I wouldn’t lose it and have to start over again. Pictures are posted now.

Originally Posted by Joe250
Eurowerks has done these in the past and they only used two screws, maybe for that reason. Honestly, I have no intention of going back to the original GTS front bumper, scoops and spoiler. The look of a GT4 Touring is what I want. I really don’t care if it means that the car loses value because it is no longer 100% stock. I knew going into project that people prefer cars that are NOT modified. But I really have no plans to sell the car before my death.

Originally Posted by matt0520
Did the scoop rub the paint off the rocker? or is that just on the scoop
It was just on the scoop.

Last edited by OldJedi; 04-03-2024 at 09:51 PM.
matt0520 (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 10:19 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
will you post pics of the process? also what did they charge for this?
Pictures posted and they charged $300 to pull the side panels, tape, screw and glue the scoops and reinstall the side panels. They also fixed a broken tab on the scoop. I thought it was fair and Flat 6 Motorsports was gracious enough to split the cost with me.

Last edited by OldJedi; 04-04-2024 at 08:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldJedi:
Larry Cable (04-03-2024), matt0520 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 08:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Pictures posted and they charged $300 to pull the side panels, tape, screw and glue the scoops and reinstall the side panels. They also fixed a broken tab on the scoop. I thought it was fair and Flat 6 Motorsports was gracious enough to split the cost with me.
what did they glue????
Old 04-05-2024, 12:27 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

They glued every tab/clip from the scoops that come through the panel.

Quick Reply: 718 GT4 Side Scoop Clips vs Screws