Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

992 to 781 and build feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023 | 02:25 PM
Montaver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avera
All of this ‘which is fast stuff’ is a non-starter. . . the base 718 is faster and more capable than the roadways allow anyone to access.

If going from 0-60 and braking constantly is your thing, all these cars do that . . . and none better than a Tesla. Likewise, there are always cars on the road and, if you somehow manage to dodge all the stop lights and other cars on the road, then you need to pay heed to cops sitting in the bushes around the next corner. Third gear gets you jail time in all these cars.

Neither the 718 or the 992 will ever be the limiting factor on the roadways, nor the track for the minority of drivers who even attend a track . . . and happen to possess the driving skills to push any of these cars anywhere near their limits

Of course, this is the 718 subforum and, as would be expected, there is no shortage of investor bias . . . no doubt the 992 subforum would be equally passionate and persuasive about their preference.

I absolutely love the 718 platform but, after driving a 992, there is little doubt in MY mind as to why Porsche has it placed at the top of their model food chain.

OP, sorry to hear about your daughter moving to NYC . . . having four daughters of my own, I cannot imagine the concern you must be feeling

Avera
Tesla brakes are made of cheese, you also cant go 0-60 and back constantly without them overheating. There are lots of better options than Tesla.

Old 06-06-2023 | 02:28 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Pay close attention to the interior trim options. Not all of them include the door card trim.

Leaving the trim finishing off the door card not a good look, IMHO.
Old 06-06-2023 | 02:33 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Pay close attention to the interior trim options. Not all of them include the door card trim.

Leaving the trim finishing off the door card not a good look, IMHO.
What is door card trim?
Old 06-06-2023 | 02:36 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

There are certainly different perspectives! I own a 992GTS (7-speed) and a 718 Spyder (6-speed). The 992 is technically my wife’s car (I drive it probably 70% of the time). The Spyder does everything better (almost - see below), by my definition of better. It’s more fun to drive, the steering is better, the overall experience is more engaging, the 6 speed is perfection, and there is a dedicated button for rev matching. I hate auto blip and never use it. Heel toeing is so easy in the Spyder that it’s hard to mess up. In the 992 it’s not as easy. Power? I actually like the power delivery of the NA engine better, and it feels just as fast. But I can redline the Spyder quite frequently, where I can’t nearly as much in the 992 because it is faster. It doesn’t feel faster, but it is. It’s quite ironic that the 718 gets beat on for the gearing. I can redline it everyday on the road. I rarely can do that with the GTS that doesn’t have the “gearing problem.” I think the Spyder is better looking too. The feedback through the steering in the Spyder is better. I like the suspension better on the Spyder. It’s more comfortable. I have 18 way seats in both. The Spyder seats hug me better. The Spyder is $50k cheaper!

But the Spyder is loud! You can’t listen to music or podcasts. The GTS is much quieter and also has a much better exhaust note (both cars just sound stupid to me with the Sport exhaust so I never use it). But as a high speed cruiser on a trip, the GTS is the only way to fly. The Spyder is too loud. I love the 992 for trips (anything over an hour), but for playing on great back roads, the Spyder has no equal.

Lastly, virtually everyone will assume that you wanted a 911, but could only afford a 718. 911 aficionados will look down on you (not all, certainly, but many won’t even wave. That could be a plus or a minus!) 😊 I honestly think that it’s the prestige that makes the 911 the car everyone wants. It like wearing a fine watch or an expensive diamond ( I don’t own a watch or jewelry). There’s nothing wrong with that, but the 718 is simply a better sports car in virtually every way.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 06-06-2023 at 02:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Denny Swift:
absame (06-07-2023), UncleDude (06-06-2023)
Old 06-06-2023 | 02:41 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Montaver
Tesla brakes are made of cheese, you also cant go 0-60 and back constantly without them overheating. There are lots of better options than Tesla.
Pic your favorite, as there are plenty of EVs to curse over . . . my point stands if your goal is 0-60

Avera
Old 06-06-2023 | 02:44 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 348SStb
What is door card trim?

In the picture above it’s the yellow painted door trim piece.

If you didn’t opt for leather, it was a black piece of plastic.

When looking at trim options ensure it includes the door card. If you care
Old 06-06-2023 | 02:46 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
The Spyder does everything better . . . the 718 is simply a better sports car in virtually every way.
It is a great sport car . . . thank you for sharing your opinion

Avera
Old 06-06-2023 | 02:52 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

In the picture above it’s the yellow painted door trim piece.

If you didn’t opt for leather, it was a black piece of plastic.

When looking at trim options ensure it includes the door card. If you care
That’s wrong. That applies to 718 Spyder only. The 718 Spyder is depicted in your photo.

On a GTS, if you don’t opt for leather the trim on the door panel remains the vinyl/fake leather.

I personally have ordered two different GTS 4.0 cars — I know what I’m talking about. My Boxster GTS 4.0 right now has carbon fiber interior trim and no leather upgrade. The trim on the doors is the vinyl stuff. It’s not plastic. It would have been carbon fiber if I had paid for the leather interior and the extra few dollars for carbon fiber on a leather interior car.

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-06-2023 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2023 | 03:03 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That’s wrong. That applies to 718 Spyder only. The 718 Spyder is depicted in your photo.

On a GTS, if you don’t opt for leather the trim on the door panel remains the vinyl/fake leather.

I personally have ordered two different GTS 4.0 cars — I know what I’m talking about. My Boxster GTS 4.0 right now has carbon fiber interior trim and no leather upgrade. The trim on the doors is the vinyl stuff. It’s not plastic. It would have been carbon fiber if I had paid for the leather interior and the extra few dollars for carbon fiber on a leather interior car.
Not sure what your saying here, sounds exactly what I just said.

I said plastic and you say “vinyl/fake leather”…uh ok.

If you look at the configurator options some include the door card some don’t.

You just confirmed that.
Old 06-06-2023 | 03:08 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Not sure what your saying here, sounds exactly what I just said.

I said plastic and you say “vinyl/fake leather”…uh ok.

If you look at the configurator options some include the door card some don’t.

You just confirmed that.
Plastic is not vinyl. So I’m not sure what you’re saying.

Have you ever ordered or owned one of these? Or are you commenting based on your observations on a bad configurator?

And the vinyl on my three cars with carbon fiber trim but vinyl on door panels looks just fine. It is unnoticed on the door panel because the rest of the panel is the same material.

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-06-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2023 | 03:19 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Plastic is not vinyl. So I’m not sure what you’re saying.

Have you ever ordered or owned one of these? Or are you commenting based on your observations on a bad configurator?

And the vinyl on my three cars with carbon fiber trim but vinyl on door panels looks just fine. It is unnoticed on the door panel because the rest of the panel is the same material.
Man, you are being obtuse here.

If you want to get technical vinyl is a form of plastic.

My point was pay attention to interior selections, some don’t extend the trim onto the door card.

You confirmed that. That was my point.

The picture was just illustrative of the trim piece, which is the same.

Ordered one? Lol…
Old 06-06-2023 | 03:23 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Man, you are being obtuse here.

If you want to get technical vinyl is a form of plastic.

My point was pay attention to interior selections, some don’t extend the trim onto the door card.

You confirmed that. That was my point.

The picture was just illustrative of the trim piece, which is the same.

Ordered one? Lol…
I accept everything you just said except the “lol” part.

What does that mean, “lol?” You’re laughing about something? What’s funny?

If you’ve ordered one (or more) of these, I would expect you to have know enough about all this to give the original poster precise and accurate information and not cursory information that or information that pertains to a different model. He can derive conclusions from the configurator too.

I’m not being wise or trying to give you a hard time, but I think that’s what you’re doing with me. I’m giving the original poster precise and exact information here, and I’m sorry that I needed to correct you. Exterior paint/plastic is never standard on the door card on a GTS in any configuration; you say that’s what you meant all along - fine.

Last edited by 348SStb; 06-06-2023 at 05:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023 | 06:45 AM
confused66
Instructor

Hate to disagree with other more knowledgeable owners, but IMHO, the Burm is wasted money. Go with the Bose. You're driving a convertible so hoping for audiophile results is a fool's errand. In my BGTS, the Bose is plenty loud enough that you can hear it at speed with the top down and traffic noise. Never heard a Burm under those conditions, but is a Stradivarius going to sound any better than a thrift-store violin on a crowded subway platform? Use the extra cash to treat yourself to something more useful/memorable. That's a good 3-day weekend with lots of activities and fine dining that you're passing up just to acquire a better stereo that you won't be able to hear or appreciate anyway.
The following users liked this post:
348SStb (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023 | 09:05 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by confused66
Hate to disagree with other more knowledgeable owners, but IMHO, the Burm is wasted money. Go with the Bose. You're driving a convertible so hoping for audiophile results is a fool's errand. In my BGTS, the Bose is plenty loud enough that you can hear it at speed with the top down and traffic noise. Never heard a Burm under those conditions, but is a Stradivarius going to sound any better than a thrift-store violin on a crowded subway platform? Use the extra cash to treat yourself to something more useful/memorable. That's a good 3-day weekend with lots of activities and fine dining that you're passing up just to acquire a better stereo that you won't be able to hear or appreciate anyway.
I agree. My brother’s 991.2 Turbo S has Burmester and I can’t tell that it’s any better than my Bose in all my cars whether 991.2/981/982. It disappoints.
Old 06-07-2023 | 09:36 AM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Going to weigh in FOR the burm here, but from an admittedly single sided perspective. Unless you are next to a semi or lots of traffic (ie deafening levels of noise), the burm can be heard loud and clear, with the top down, at 80 MPH. The Bose may be "equally" good; I don't know that part. But the burm doesn't disappoint for clear sound at higher speeds, top down.

IMHO

Quick Reply: 992 to 781 and build feedback