Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

X Pipe with zero drone

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 12:28 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I wanted to add some information about my BC Fabs oap with heatshielding. Car was fully warmed up with oil temp of 221 degrees and stopped after a hard pull. Immeadiately checked oap temp behind wheel using infrared temp gun with engine still running and temp was 174 degrees. After 2 mins of engine shutdown the temp was 153 degrees and at 5 mins it was 117 degrees. As an engineer I am a firm believer in heatshielding and Ben's heatshielding appears to do a great job.

Some more pics of exhaust installed.

The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 12:53 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Agcsr25
I wanted to add some information about my BC Fabs oap with heatshielding. Car was fully warmed up with oil temp of 221 degrees and stopped after a hard pull. Immeadiately checked oap temp behind wheel using infrared temp gun with engine still running and temp was 174 degrees. After 2 mins of engine shutdown the temp was 153 degrees and at 5 mins it was 117 degrees. As an engineer I am a firm believer in heatshielding and Ben's heatshielding appears to do a great job.

Very nice. Seems to be very high quality products and I'm looking forward to mine. How much additional sound do the OAPs add compared to the rear box alone? Do you have any db readings?
I recall reading a post where someone had installed an Akra rear muffler and OAPs and reported insane levels of sound (over 100 db) even at idle.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:59 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AnandN
Very nice. Seems to be very high quality products and I'm looking forward to mine. How much additional sound do the OAPs add compared to the rear box alone? Do you have any db readings?
I recall reading a post where someone had installed an Akra rear muffler and OAPs and reported insane levels of sound (over 100 db) even at idle.

It is considerably louder with the oap. You would definitely be below 100 dB below 5000 rpms but above that all bets are off. If you add BC Fabs headers to it you apparently reach crazy cup car levels. With pse off I can drive around residential neighborhoods and not get noticed. If you get on it, pse on or off, you are going to be noticed, maybe even given some hand gestures.
subwoofer (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 03:35 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

It is considerably louder with the oap. You would definitely be below 100 dB below 5000 rpms but above that all bets are off. If you add BC Fabs headers to it you apparently reach crazy cup car levels. With pse off I can drive around residential neighborhoods and not get noticed. If you get on it, pse on or off, you are going to be noticed, maybe even given some hand gestures.
I guess then I'd better stick with only the valved exhaust. Thank you. Don't want folks in my neighborhood giving dirty looks to a 62 year old man. Haha.

Last edited by subwoofer; 11-18-2023 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:52 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 826 Likes on 441 Posts

What are the baseline numbers to compare?
UncleDude (11-18-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 05:24 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrFunk
What are the baseline numbers to compare?
Variables of ambient temperature and humidity are not controlled or corrected for between oem oap and BC Fabs oap. Oem oap was on day with temp 76 degrees and 72% humidity with oil temp of 219 degrees. Immediate temperature of oem oap was 287 degrees, after 2 mins of shutdown 261 degrees and 5 mins 137 degrees. Heatshield on oem opf not tested. BC Fabs ambient temp was 73 degrees with 65% humidity. Hope this helps. Would love to see similar data for ceramic coated oap and completely unshielded oap. Saw this link that is a far better study design with better control of variable which shows the difference in shielded and unshielded.
subwoofer (11-18-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 09:33 AM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

I was hoping since MrFunk and UncleDude read this thread they could add some data points for us. I know UncleDude runs a unshielded Kline SS oap and I do not know what MrFunk has. Can you guys give us some data points on temps? I am fully aware this is not scientific but merely some enthusiasts getting together and collecting some crude data points. Would love to see some temps on Soul ceramic coated oap.....anyone? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:52 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I was hoping since MrFunk and UncleDude read this thread they could add some data points for us. I know UncleDude runs a unshielded Kline SS oap and I do not know what MrFunk has. Can you guys give us some data points on temps? I am fully aware this is not scientific but merely some enthusiasts getting together and collecting some crude data points. Would love to see some temps on Soul ceramic coated oap.....anyone? Thanks.
I have also been trying to find information on this topic. Here is something I found here. Posts 1 and 49; soul OAPs

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-coated-4.html

Last edited by subwoofer; 11-19-2023 at 09:55 AM.
Agcsr25 (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 10:32 AM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Thanks AnandN, those findings on Soul thread make sense from a thermodynamics/heat transfer standpoint. In general the wheel well temps due to radiant heat from oap "should" be heatshielding < ceramic coat < unshielded. Obviously this statement does not take into account the many variables such as material of the oap, heatshielding material and thickness, and ceramic material and thickness etc. to name a few.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:05 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 826 Likes on 441 Posts

Yeah sorry have zero logged data.
I'm running a fully stock exhaust right now and will be hopefully installing an aftermarket system over the winter months here...
Old 11-19-2023, 05:35 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,208 Posts

I was hoping since MrFunk and UncleDude read this thread they could add some data points for us. I know UncleDude runs an unshielded Kline SS oap and I do not know what MrFunk has. Can you guys give us some data points on temps? I am fully aware this is not scientific but merely some enthusiasts getting together and collecting some crude data points. Would love to see some temps on Soul ceramic coated oap.....anyone? Thanks.
Sorry no data here, other than I didn’t notice the rear tire PSI go up or down when I put the Kline on. I get the shielding on the stock OPF because it is a giant cork, the Kline is pretty free flowing - just not worried.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:01 PM
Agcsr25
Intermediate

Thank you gentlemen for responding. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as the cork theory and faster moving gases since we are still bound by the laws of thermodynamics on this planet. Over time the metal pipe is going to try and equilibrate with the temperature of the gases. How this is done is not as simple as your basic high school or university physics would have you believe. Things such as thermal flux, forced convection vs natural convection, laminar flow vs turbulent flow, heat transfer processes working in parallel vs series to name a few. You get the idea and look it up if you don't believe me. In the end oap is going to conduct heat to materials connected to it(other pipes,brackets etc.), radiate heat(to objects around it) and through convection which in our case is actually beneficial since moving air will actually reduce our oap temperatures. As the video above shows shielded vs unshielded are not even remotely apples to apples. The ultimate terminal temperatures of our oap's may not be close to those temps in the video but magnitude of the delta has to be similar simply due to the laws of thermodynamics. I am in no way saying your vehicle is going to spontaneously combust if you don't have shielding but there will be an increased rate of degradation (don't know what the rate is) of components exposed to increased temperatures. I apologize in advance if I offend anyone but there is so much misinformation on forums which is repeated over and over as fact/science. And yes, my data was crude at best and I take it with a grain of salt. Cheers to all my fellow enthusiasts.

Last edited by Agcsr25; 11-19-2023 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:17 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Thank you gentlemen for responding. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as the cork theory and faster moving gases since we are still bound by the laws of thermodynamics on this planet. Over time the metal pipe is going to try and equilibrate with the temperature of the gases. How this is done is not as simple as your basic high school or university physics would have you believe. Things such as thermal flux, forced convection vs natural convection, laminar flow vs turbulent flow, heat transfer processes working in parallel vs series to name a few. You get the idea and look it up if you don't believe me. In the end oap is going to conduct heat to materials connected to it(other pipes,brackets etc.), radiate heat(to objects around it) and through convection which in our case is actually beneficial since moving air will actually reduce our oap temperatures. As the video above shows shielded vs unshielded are not even remotely apples to apples. The ultimate terminal temperatures of our oap's may not be close to those temps in the video but magnitude of the delta has to be similar simply due to the laws of thermodynamics. I am in no way saying your vehicle is going to spontaneously combust if you don't have shielding but there will be an increased rate of degradation (don't know what the rate is) of components exposed to increased temperatures. I apologize in advance if I offend anyone but there is so much misinformation on forums which is repeated over and over as fact/science. And yes, my data was crude at best and I take it with a grain of salt. Cheers to all my fellow enthusiasts.
I have nothing to add, other than 12,000 km’s of running the system on 2 cars and not having any depredations or issues (just good sound). Kline only started offering heat shielding in the last 18 months I think, for what it is worth.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:22 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I'll try to measure my Kline SS on Wednesday at the track. Could the heat from the exhaust cause premature failure of the axle?
Old 11-19-2023, 08:28 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by incursion
I'll try to measure my Kline SS on Wednesday at the track. Could the heat from the exhaust cause premature failure of the axle?
There’s not much point, if you don’t have a stock car to compare to. This is the problem, no one has done a before and after.

Quick Reply: X Pipe with zero drone