Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Error but no code found

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 12:33 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Engine Error but no code found

Barely 2 months in on a new CGTS and had an engine warning. Monday morning on my way to work I got an engine error - ok to drive warning. I was only about 1/2 mile into the drive when it happened. The error was only on for a few seconds. I parked it but have since taken it out a couple of times with no issues. Code reader arrived today and I ran a scan. It said no error codes detected. I'm using OBDLink Mx

I've never used a code reader before but I don't think I could screw it up. Anyone know if some error warnings don't store codes? or could I be doing something wrong and not getting the code? I don't think it's anything to worry about but would just like to know what engine code was triggered.

Thanks, Don
Old 04-13-2023, 03:19 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,086 Likes on 540 Posts

No familiar with OBDLink Mx, but should read stored inactive faults. Codes are kept in each module until cleared. E.g. if you had a fault with headlamp washers, it will remain until cleared. Most faults don't appear as warnings on the dash display, for example I always have reverse camera faults, yet never had a dash/PCM warning for that.
Old 04-13-2023, 12:22 PM
Fast-Eddie
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts

I have and used an OBDLink MX, but mostly for getting engine data into Harry's Laptimer. I used to read out codes before, but if you are not finding any codes given the warning message you received, I'd take it to your dealer for them to scan your car with PIWIS... since your car is 2 months old all should be covered.
The following users liked this post:
Larry Cable (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 12:16 AM
adsingl
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Quick read about the reader you used is a generic OBD2 reader. Unless there is some specific (probably additional money) option for ALL Porsche specific codes, you 1. won't get much past what obd2 legislation (in the US at least) requires, and 2. for some codes outside of what is required, if they do read them (like tranny codes as the best example for any non-manual car) the brand proprietary codes can actually be misleading.

ADS
Larry Cable (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 03:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,609 Likes on 2,347 Posts

might be worth getting one of the Carsoft Porsche scanners...
Old 04-23-2023, 12:13 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
might be worth getting one of the Carsoft Porsche scanners...
I was looking at the carsoft. I should have done one of those rather than the bluetooth. I loaded

I haven't had any errors since that morning. The dealer said they'd look at it if I wanted to bring it in but I don't think it's worth the time.. I may do a post break in oil and tranny fluid change and will have them check it. In the mean time, I may get the carsoft since this app doesn't seem to work.
Larry Cable (04-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Engine Error but no code found