Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

2021 718 GT4 Coolant Expansion Tank Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 05:23 PM
Driven991
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 2021 718 GT4 Coolant Expansion Tank Leak

8000 mi on my GT4 with PDK. No track driving.

About 6 months ago I got a coolant low warning light so I added some coolant and called my dealer to ask about it. Dealer said sometimes you have to add some. Drive car and keep an eye on it. Could occasionally get a whiff of coolant odor after a drive but did not see any puddling or leak under the car.

Took car in for other service about 2 months after having to add coolant and asked them to check for a leak...was reassured everything ok.

Took car for a drive recently and parked in the garage. Came out 2 hours later to strong coolant odor...so looked under the car and had a puddle just in front of and inside of the driver side rear tire. Took back to dealer and told today I have an expansion tank with a leak. Being replaced under warranty.

So for anyone suspecting or having a coolant leak this is a potential source. Ironically my last Porsche a 2017 Carrera S had a coolant leak that left me stranded roadside.
The following 2 users liked this post by Driven991:
0-Day (04-12-2023), FASTRKMAN (04-12-2023)
Old 04-12-2023, 06:12 PM
rcfun33
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 73 Posts

We recently purchased a low-mileage 2022 Spyder and after a short period there were drops of coolant from both sides of the underbody. Took it into the dealer and they replaced a couple of pieces under warranty. The coolant drops under the car didn't seem to reappear. However, this weekend we took it out and when we put the top down, we found fairly large amounts of coolant condensate on the under side of the trunk lid and around the vent near the coolant fill cap. Needless to say, it is back at the dealership.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:29 PM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
8000 mi on my GT4 with PDK. No track driving.

About 6 months ago I got a coolant low warning light so I added some coolant and called my dealer to ask about it. Dealer said sometimes you have to add some. Drive car and keep an eye on it. Could occasionally get a whiff of coolant odor after a drive but did not see any puddling or leak under the car.

Took car in for other service about 2 months after having to add coolant and asked them to check for a leak...was reassured everything ok.

Took car for a drive recently and parked in the garage. Came out 2 hours later to strong coolant odor...so looked under the car and had a puddle just in front of and inside of the driver side rear tire. Took back to dealer and told today I have an expansion tank with a leak. Being replaced under warranty.

So for anyone suspecting or having a coolant leak this is a potential source. Ironically my last Porsche a 2017 Carrera S had a coolant leak that left me stranded roadside.
I read in order to replace our coolant tank the engine must come out.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:50 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 797 Posts

FWIW, I had a similar issue with my 981 (coolant smell/lowered coolant levels). Turned out the reservoir "cap" needed replacing. Apparently it was a "thing" with Caymans...replaced under warranty.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:05 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 214 Posts

I had the same problem low coolant light. The day after I had my 12 month service the low coolant light went on. When investigating I noticed right above the coolant cap there was condensation on the underside of the trunk lid.

It turns out the tech who did the12 month service likely over tightened the cap causing the failure. A replacement cap was provided under warranty. Although it took several toppings off to refill properly due ridding the air bubbles (burping the system).
Old 04-13-2023, 10:10 AM
Driven991
Racer

Originally Posted by Wei718
I read in order to replace our coolant tank the engine must come out.

Known my service advisor for a few years and I think he would have told me if that was the case. Sounded fairly straightforward...ie ordering a new expansion tank and replacing. I will try to remember to ask when the car is ready and report what he tells me.
Old 04-14-2023, 12:33 AM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
Known my service advisor for a few years and I think he would have told me if that was the case. Sounded fairly straightforward...ie ordering a new expansion tank and replacing. I will try to remember to ask when the car is ready and report what he tells me.
I went through this issue last year as well, my dealer confirmed there were obvious leaks but cannot find where it is leaking from. They replaced my coolant reservoir cap and topped it off as a precaution. So far so good and it’s been a few months without issues.

As far as the engine needs to be out to replace the reservoir I only remember reading it on RL so please take it with a grain of salt however you can ask your SA to confirm whether that is true or not.

I recently installed the cargraphic valve controller and once I opened the engine cover there was coolant residue on the top left side. Not sure how that happened, I cleaned it up and I will open it again to see if there’s any new residue.

Look where the coolant reservoir is sitting on my picture.

Last edited by Wei718; 04-14-2023 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 08:18 AM
Driven991
Racer

Car is finished. According to SA the expansion tank sits below the coolant fill tank and the engine did not have to be dropped. However he said it was a tough place to reach and took some time to remove and reinstall. My repair was warranty but I imagine it might be expensive without warranty.
Old 04-19-2023, 02:59 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

On turbo 4-cyl 718, I think the engine out is correct. On the 4.0l cars only the intake manifold needs to come off. I had my tank replace for faulty sensor on my 2021 GT4.

Quick Reply: 2021 718 GT4 Coolant Expansion Tank Leak