Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Porsche Dealer Service- gouging or typical?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 12:40 PM
Big Belly 711
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Porsche Dealer Service- gouging or typical?

Hi All,
I have my 2 year service coming up on my 21 CGTS and checked a couple of dealers to get a cost estimate. The two year service consists of an oil/filter change, a brake fluid exchange, and a cabin filter replacement, along with a detailed 'inspection' to ensure everything else is in working order. The dealer estimates it will take 4-5 hours, and the cost is $1200, plus tax.
At the risk of sounding cheap, is this typical based on your experience? I'm in Seattle, so a fairly expensive area...the car will have less than 10,000 miles on it.
I was thinking of taking it to a good independent shop but am not sure if the inspection will be as detailed as what the dealer would likely do-
Appreciate your feedback! (and yes, I know I sound cheap.....but I like to think of it as 'value-minded')
Old 03-20-2023, 12:48 PM
rj2014
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Belly 711
Hi All,
I have my 2 year service coming up on my 21 CGTS and checked a couple of dealers to get a cost estimate. The two year service consists of an oil/filter change, a brake fluid exchange, and a cabin filter replacement, along with a detailed 'inspection' to ensure everything else is in working order. The dealer estimates it will take 4-5 hours, and the cost is $1200, plus tax.
At the risk of sounding cheap, is this typical based on your experience? I'm in Seattle, so a fairly expensive area...the car will have less than 10,000 miles on it.
I was thinking of taking it to a good independent shop but am not sure if the inspection will be as detailed as what the dealer would likely do-
Appreciate your feedback! (and yes, I know I sound cheap.....but I like to think of it as 'value-minded')
Porsche dealers charge an arm and a leg for service. I take my P cars to a local indy shop that specializes in Porsches and other german brands. The cost is typically in the $400-500 range for 2yr/20k mile service.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:02 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,183 Posts

Yes, that estimate sounds about right.

If you are a PCA member some dealers will discount 10%.

Alternatively, you could ask the dealer for an estimate of just an oil change and brake flush which would be similar to an indy.

The full 2 year maintenance service is a lot of checks, mine was up on the rack for a couple hours for it’s two year.

Old 03-20-2023, 01:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

yep I just had a 1yr on my Spyder and 4yr on my GT3 ... was about $12xx and $25xx (because I had already changed my air filters already and they omitted that - would have added another $5xx)

and that was with a PCA 10% discount!

p.s there was a Tech bulletin on the Spyder decklid which required adjustment ...

Last edited by Larry Cable; 03-20-2023 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:03 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 925 Likes on 369 Posts

That's the book price for your 2-year service. I was quoted the same on my last 718 and used an indy.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:05 PM
edub
Pro

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Oh man, I removed my cabin air filter by accident because I was curious what was inside that box. No tools, takes 5 minutes if you stop to pound a beer half way through. So yeah thats one item down. https://www.fcpeuro.com/Porsche-part...ds=cabin%20air $16

There is a 2nd cabin air filter inside the glove box - that requires a couple plastic screws, https://www.fcpeuro.com/Porsche-part...ds=cabin%20air $23

Oil is $116 (2x 5L
Amazon Amazon
)

Oil filter kit is https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...an-9a110722400 $18

Brake fluid exchange - $40 for 2 liter of fluid, plus the bleeder kit you'll need $60

Whatever your time is worth, plus disposal fee for the oil and fluid.

$213 for parts, $60 for specialized tools (assume you have basic hand tools already)

Oil change you need a lift, or some specialized jacks so you can remove the under tray and get access to the oil filter.

There are some other things I'm not mentioning like the PIWIS system to flip the oil service interval switch and run a diagnostic report, that system can be had for $100 plus laptop and expenses but the official hardware is thousands.

Can't tell you if its gouging, but its expensive no doubt for what it is. Sounds like you are paying for 4hrs labor, at $250 an hour. Independent shop will likely charge $125-150 an hour, and won't have the same PIWIS system or the latest recall/tech bulletins to catch something wrong.

If they charged 2 hours I'd go with the dealer. 1hr for oil change, another hour for inspection and PIWIS report

The following 2 users liked this post by edub:
Larry Cable (03-20-2023), maschinetheist (03-24-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 01:12 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy

Alternatively, you could ask the dealer for an estimate of just an oil change and brake flush...
That's exactly what I'd do. $1200 to "check" a bunch of things you'd routinely check during an oil service is silly. Especially if the car has 3500 miles on it in two years like many of ours will. Higher mileage/harsh usage or track cars are a different story.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:15 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
That's exactly what I'd do. $1200 to "check" a bunch of things you'd routinely check during an oil service is silly. Especially if the car has 3500 miles on it in two years like many of ours will. Higher mileage/harsh usage or track cars are a different story.
yep my Spyder and GT have about 3.5k each ... I guess its the price of Pcar ownership.

I like to use a dealer for the service records aspect of the car(s)
The following 2 users liked this post by Larry Cable:
FASTRKMAN (03-20-2023), tigerhonaker (03-22-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 02:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Hi All,
… two year service … is $1200, plus tax… is this typical based on your experience? I'm in Seattle, so a fairly expensive area….
Seattle dealer service rates are AFAIK amomg the highest in the nation and are in the $250/hour range. So, four hours of labor at $250 and about $200 in parts at Porsche list price or u pto 150% of list.

So… that is typical as other have noted.

And yes, four hours is about the amount of time it takes to do every task listed on the schedule for the 2-year service.

Old 03-20-2023, 02:25 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Pretty sure that the AutoNation dealer in Newport Beach has far surpassed $300 an hour now. Maybe $350?
Old 03-20-2023, 02:46 PM
logicalthought
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I always laughed when they wanted to change my "cabin air filters" on my 981 Boxster every two years, seeing as in 10 years of ownership I almost NEVER drove it without the top down!

I assume I'll have the same laugh when it comes time to service my new Boxster 4.0.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:18 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 727 Likes on 440 Posts

Recently called the dealership to do my 2 year service in LA, was quoted about $1,500. Was told they were going to replace cabin filters, replace remote key battery (wtf?), check the wheels and tires (recently had the tires replaced at a dealership anyways, didn't want to take it to an indy as I've read wheels were bent on some peoples cars). Asked if I can bring my own high temperature brake fluid and they refused. So took mine to an indy shop, had oil and brake fluid flush done at about $700 or so. Screw the dealerships, they really don't offer much.
The following 2 users liked this post by sin911:
maschinetheist (03-24-2023), Southbama (03-20-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 04:02 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 143 Posts

I just replaced the battery in the remote of my wife's 2021 Macan. The car told her that the battery was low. My 2019 BMW X3 M40i does the same thing and they don't seem to last more than a year or 2, have done it a couple of times in the BMW. Luckily they are both easy to do and easily obtainable CR2032 batteries instead of some less widely available size. My biggest fear with the dealer scheduled maintenance is that they might skip some of the checklist items - they always check the brake pads for wear and condition of the tires for sure since they want to sell replacements if they can, but where something calls for actually checking something like torque, I always wonder if they actually do it.
Old 03-20-2023, 09:16 PM
Tommy928
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,
I completed the 2 year service on my Spyder at Suncoast Porsche for $700. When I lived in Seattle I took my P-cars to Barrier Porsche and thought their prices were very fair especially with the 10% PCA discount. Many times they were less expensive than the independents. Everything costs more in Seattle.
Old 03-21-2023, 12:49 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,739 Likes on 2,756 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulE
I just replaced the battery in the remote of my wife's 2021 Macan. The car told her that the battery was low. My 2019 BMW X3 M40i does the same thing and they don't seem to last more than a year or 2, have done it a couple of times in the BMW. Luckily they are both easy to do and easily obtainable CR2032 batteries instead of some less widely available size. My biggest fear with the dealer scheduled maintenance is that they might skip some of the checklist items - they always check the brake pads for wear and condition of the tires for sure since they want to sell replacements if they can, but where something calls for actually checking something like torque, I always wonder if they actually do it.

Just for contrast this past February, our 2016 Macan posted its first message in the cluster about the remote battery being low, so a little over 7 years of service. Surprisingly the second remote posted the same message less than a month later.

Quick Reply: Porsche Dealer Service- gouging or typical?