Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Manual or PDK, gt4 or spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 09:18 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 302 Posts

What everyone else said.... not very wise to learn stick on a $130k car. A car which some very experienced manual drivers have already had premature clutch wear on.

If you don't want to wait to buy, get a PDK. It's pretty much the best "auto" transmission on the planet, so no shame there.

If you want a manual, go buy a beater stick shift to learn on, drive it for 6 months, and sell it before you pick up your GT4/Spyder.
Old 03-14-2023, 09:55 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

I’ll be the contrarian.

You can replace a clutch. If the idea of 3 pedals and rowing makes you grin, get the MT. Being stuck with the “wrong” transmission for you is a lot more of a problem than a worn clutch. (But if you’re going to be doing any appreciable amount of city / traffic driving…pdk)
The following users liked this post:
DreiPedals (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 10:32 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,901 Likes on 792 Posts

PDK GT4 for track
6MT Spyder for street
daaa nope (03-15-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 10:49 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 616 Likes on 394 Posts

Personally, I wouldn’t learn to drive a manual on an expensive Porsche and that too a GT4. And I have been driving manuals for donkey’s years. I would practice on a cheap car like a used Miata or Honda. Unless you have money to burn replacing clutches.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:13 PM
lilbza
Pro

Received 585 Likes on 268 Posts

If the gearing wasn't an issue, people wouldn't be spending big dollars for changing out the gears, period.

It may not bother some, but it obviously bothers others, to say that it's a non issue is completely subjective, and likely the bias opinion of someone who has a manual.

If you can, go test drive both and choose what you liked best, there's really no other way.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:20 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,635 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza
If the gearing wasn't an issue, people wouldn't be spending big dollars for changing out the gears, period.

It may not bother some, but it obviously bothers others, to say that it's a non issue is completely subjective, and likely the bias opinion of someone who has a manual.

If you can, go test drive both and choose what you liked best, there's really no other way.
Kind of like throwing shade on the MT to justify getting the pdk?
Old 03-14-2023, 11:22 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,497 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by lilbza

I don’t think the PDK ratios change the experience the experience that much. I think the gearing thing got annoying because the reviewers all parroted each other. I understand the desire for shorter gears, and would like to try them myself, but who drives around at the redline all the time? I shift my car at 3000, 4000, 5000, etc… all the time, and it doesn’t take any enjoyment away.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:49 PM
lilbza
Pro

Originally Posted by Adrift
Kind of like throwing shade on the MT to justify getting the pdk?
It's not throwing any shade. It's no secret there are those diehard MT only drivers, so of course they will tell you that's the only gearbox to get, even if it didn't suit the OP's need.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:57 PM
lilbza
Pro

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I don’t think the PDK ratios change the experience the experience that much. I think the gearing thing got annoying because the reviewers all parroted each other. I understand the desire for shorter gears, and would like to try them myself, but who drives around at the redline all the time? I shift my car at 3000, 4000, 5000, etc… all the time, and it doesn’t take any enjoyment away.
Well they must to some degree, given the ratios of the PDK are pretty close to being identical to the deman regear, and the reviews speak for themselves.

Anyway I'm not trying to convince the OP of either, I'm suggesting he try both a decide for himself, rather than those who will tell you to choose what they chose.

FWIW, I had manual specced on my build for over 6 months, and I was heavily a manual only guy. I was lucky enough to test drive the GTS4.0 PDK before my build locked, and I was that impressed with it, I changed my incoming GT4 build. I'm not going to give a break down of my entire experience, because that's going to be subjective, but the difference was enough for me to change my build.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:03 AM
lilbza
Pro

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
For reference, this "youtuber" bought a spyder, had had shorter gearing installed, and motor worked to 4.5L, before taking delivery from Porsche...but after driving a V8 Cayman, and the Sharkwerks GT4, and Sharkwerks 4.1L and 4.2L GT3s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBa5QJ4Acl4
I generally like his content, but that was one of his worst videos. He intentionally took the PDK on a tighter road, he even says it in video, so of course he didn't utilitise more 3rd/4th. Would have been a fair comparison had he took the PDK car on the same part of the canyons at the MT...but we all know his MT only narrative.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:50 AM
Fatcat0520
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the inputs everyone, I think I got my mind set really glad. I asked before I started searching for cars.
Few things I learned
1) Learning a manual can be hard and takes time, I thought it was just learning to press another pedal while moving a stick)
2) The gearing isn't a big issue
3) The PDK fits my use better, Track days+ driving on the weekends which involves city driving and traffic
Now that I look back at it, I wanted an MT because of fear of missing out. Everyone claims that manuals are so cool and the true enthusiast experience that I just felt like I'd be missing out if I had an auto. Although I am sure the manual is amazing, I am going with the PDK since it fits my need better. I think I will be getting a GT4 as well since if I couldn't bother to have the top down with an automatic button I probably wouldn't do it manually. On the idea of driving a manual, I've decided to spend 200 bucks and buy a shifter for my sim racing setup . If I end up liking it a lot and somehow magically learn it within weeks I will update you guys on how it goes.
On a side note if anyone knows someone that is selling a 718 GT4 with LWCB+PDK please let me know( no color preferences but if it has red stitching on the interior it's a +) located in southern California, more exactly OC.
Old 03-15-2023, 01:53 AM
slowdown
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatcat0520
Thanks for the inputs everyone, I think I got my mind set really glad. I asked before I started searching for cars.
Few things I learned
1) Learning a manual can be hard and takes time, I thought it was just learning to press another pedal while moving a stick)
3) The PDK fits my use better, Track days+ driving on the weekends which involves city driving and traffic
Now that I look back at it, I wanted an MT because of fear of missing out. Everyone claims that manuals are so cool and the true enthusiast experience that I just felt like I'd be missing out if I had an auto. Although I am sure the manual is amazing, I am going with the PDK since it fits my need better. I think I will be getting a GT4 as well since if I couldn't bother to have the top down with an automatic button I probably wouldn't do it manually. On the idea of driving a manual, I've decided to spend 200 bucks and buy a shifter for my sim racing setup . If I end up liking it a lot and somehow magically learn it within weeks I will update you guys on how it goes.
On a side note if anyone knows someone that is selling a 718 GT4 with LWCB+PDK please let me know( no color preferences but if it has red stitching on the interior it's a +) located in southern California, more exactly OC.
I actually think the 718 is one of the easier cars to learn how to drive manual on. It has auto rev match that works well. Obviously, you should get a Honda (edit - old one like a civic or accord since they're super forgiving) to learn for a few weekends to learn the absolute basics. But this is one of the last great new cars with a manual. Don't deny yourself the joy of driving with three pedals...

Last edited by slowdown; 03-15-2023 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 11:54 AM
absame
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

These are both personal choices without a right or wrong answer. If you’ve always wanted to drive a manual then get one. You wont notice any gearing issue and it’s about the best manual out there. So what if it’s your first - I taught both my kids on a 911. So what. I drove manuals forever, then bought a 992 with a PDK. It’s a wonderful transmission, but I traded it in for a MT GT4 6 months later. I just enjoy it more.

Same with the roof. Get what you want. Only things I didn’t like about the Spyder is the plastic rear window and the fact you can’t open the rear trunk with the top up - who’s idea was that!
Old 03-15-2023, 12:16 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatcat0520
Few things I learned
2 things I don’t agree with.
1) Adding a stick shift on your racing sim isn’t going to help you learn much about driving stick other than the extra push clutch in and move shifter. It’s more of learning where the clutch grabs when driving a stick. I have over a $6k racing sim with a Fanatec wheel pedals and stick shift and it’s nothing like real world experience.
2) Taking the top down or up takes 45 seconds and will give you the best possible driving experience you will ever have in a car. The Spyder was the only choice for me. My top is down 99.9% of the time unless a rain shower is on the horizon. Nothing against a GT4 what is a great car but nothing in Porsches line up looks as good as a Spyder with the top down IMO. Looks wise a GT4 is basically a Cayman with a bigger wing. The Spyder has more personality then an GT4 and sticks out a lot more in traffic and to other people.

My iRacing/Forza setup I bought to get me ready for my Spyder

Attached Images  

Last edited by Unstock; 03-15-2023 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 12:22 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

A rare situation where every corner of the matrix is the right answer.
lilbza (03-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Manual or PDK, gt4 or spyder?