Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder Depreciation after Minor Accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2023 | 03:24 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Get fairly compensated, fix the car and keep it. You could sell it, buy another, if you can get an allocation, and then something worse could happen to the new one.

I feel for you and the guy in the middle who was hit from behind. 4-1/2 years ago I was the guy in the middle in my 2003 Boxster S, was stopped for a light and hit from behind, pushed into and slightly under the Mazda CX5 in front of me. Totally the fault of the person who hit me, as noted in the police report and agreed to by the insurance companies. My car was fixed and paid for by the responsible insurance company. The woman who was in front of me decided her neck hurt and it took me 3 years to get dismissed from her lawsuit. Then when I went to sell the car, the buyer ran a CarFax report, which listed the accident with minor damage front and rear, but the description also said my car was "submerged" with regard to this accident. So I had to contact CarFax, send them the receipts and a copy of the police report and pester them online to get their description fixed, my buyer was from out of state and concerned my car was flood damaged because the word "submerged" was in the CarFax report. There is no way to actually speak with a human at CarFax, you contact them online and then wait for an email response. It took about 2 weeks but I actually got CarFax to correct their error.

So keep complete records including the repair bill, pictures and police report, and run a CarFax at least 6 months after the repair to see what it says about your car's damage. Sorry for the damage but in the scheme of things it's something that can happen if we drive our cars instead of just displaying them.
Old 02-18-2023 | 05:44 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Have someone take the bumper cover off and look at what’s happening under it. I doubt you’ll need to do more than the bumper cover.

We normally say this as a joke, but I mean it this time:

It will buff right out.
The following users liked this post:
MrFunk (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023 | 06:01 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

I can barely see the damage in those pictures...
Sharm (02-20-2023)
Old 02-18-2023 | 06:51 PM
ltfl09
Racer

Carfax now has a "minor damage" section just fyi. So keep the photos with you and save them for the future. I bet to repair your car, just Paint dent removal for that tiny little dent. Not sure about the love marks (scratches) if compound and polish will do, but that's easily patched and painted or you can just get a brand new rear bumper. Costs should be minimal
Old 02-18-2023 | 07:21 PM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Brand new bumper with parts and labor will run about $2500, depending on labor rates in your region.
Xpel film extra.

Old 02-18-2023 | 08:05 PM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

These cars are rare and I can hardly see the damage.
Get the other guys “at fault” insurance to pay for a quality repair and you’re good to go.
Your documentation will show the minor damage that it was if you choose to disclose it, I don’t think it will show up on carfax.
Your mileage at resale will probably be effecting the price more than the issue at hand.
MrFunk (02-20-2023)
Old 02-19-2023 | 02:27 AM
Scrounger
Instructor

Sell the car for a bumper scuff!!.
Old 02-19-2023 | 07:07 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Yeah selling the car for this is insane, and if you listen to half the people on this board, dealers are handing back deposits because there literally are no more allocations for GT4s or Spyders.

The damage is ludicrously minimal, unless you were looking for a reason to dump the car I'm not sure how something like this could prompt you to get rid of it. I could understand if there was serious damage, but... wow.

I almost understand, because I've been this insane before... I dropped my brand new Yamaha R6 just lazily getting off of it and literally just scraped the muffler so lightly you had to look for it to see it. For whatever crazy reason in my mind, that silly incident incepted the idea that I didn't want it anymore. But I'll freely admit that I was being unreasonable, and subliminally wanted to get rid of it anyway.

Patch it up, deal with a diminished value lawyer who will get you some cash for it, and enjoy the amazing car the Spyder is. There won't be anything else like it, and you can't replace it with a new one.
Chrismalberts (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023 | 10:11 AM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

I also got rear ended last week - damage minimal - no dents, but a scuff and a bit of lost paint.. looks like a couple of specs of dirt really. Sanding/painting would fix it 100%. I'm pretty sure the young woman doesn't have insurance and the cops don't come for non-injury accidents so I'm going to let it go. I damaged the car myself on a trip to AZ over the holidays where I didn't expect gritted snowy roads and got a million tiny chips as a result. Front bumper cover, rear bumper cover and perhaps side panels behind the doors would all need paint to get the car back to perfect, but this is a) not as special as a Spyder or GT4 and b) a car I drive a LOT, so while I was very disappointed about the damage I accept that it's a driver quality car not a garage queen or show car. The extra enjoyment of taking the car on a 2200 mile road trip was worth the damage really.
Bearrun21 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023 | 12:15 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chrismalberts
I also got rear ended last week - damage minimal - no dents, but a scuff and a bit of lost paint.. looks like a couple of specs of dirt really. Sanding/painting would fix it 100%. I'm pretty sure the young woman doesn't have insurance and the cops don't come for non-injury accidents so I'm going to let it go. I damaged the car myself on a trip to AZ over the holidays where I didn't expect gritted snowy roads and got a million tiny chips as a result. Front bumper cover, rear bumper cover and perhaps side panels behind the doors would all need paint to get the car back to perfect, but this is a) not as special as a Spyder or GT4 and b) a car I drive a LOT, so while I was very disappointed about the damage I accept that it's a driver quality car not a garage queen or show car. The extra enjoyment of taking the car on a 2200 mile road trip was worth the damage really.
Driving a vehicle on public roads without insurance should be illegal...
Old 02-20-2023 | 01:55 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Driving a vehicle on public roads without insurance should be illegal...
In many states it is, but it still happens! Always get the uninsured/underinsured coverarge on your auto policy!
Old 02-20-2023 | 04:00 PM
beez
Instructor

It also depends on the body shop you use.

In late 2021, I was driving my mint condition, 35K miles 2011 997 GTS back from California to Las Vegas, and on Hy 99 in the Calif central valley, a semi-truck's tire blow out ahead in an adjacent lane. The carcass flew through the air and landed in front of my car. With cars on either side of me, there was no avoiding it. It wrecked the bumper cover, some of the ducting, and some other internals. I called the insurance company (AAA), because this was a comprehensive claim ($250 deductible). I took it to the best body shop in LV (also a certified Porsche body shop), and my first question was, do you report to Carfax - answer "we report to nobody." They were right - the repair was $8k - just the GTS bumper cover was $4500 - and the repair was perfect. I sold the car in July of last year to buy a '22 CGTS4.0, and the accident/repair was not on the Carfax, even though the insurance paid for the claim.

The damage to your car looks like scratches to the paint and primer, and could probably be done by refinishing the cover. Don't sell your car for this.

Last edited by beez; 02-20-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2023 | 06:58 PM
Sam Zamir
Advanced

@John Vandermay My advice to you is:
1- make sure you have it repaired at a PACC (and ask them to document the structural damage as they/we are supposed to). Check out my old post on the 991 rear alluminum... https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html You can find one near you at https://porschecollisioncenter.com/. Feel free to reach out to me and see if I know any of them.
2- if you can pursue the at fault party, hire an appraiser to get you maximum Diminished Value compensation. A quick google search and you'll find plenty of appraisers (or certified public adjusters) who can do this for you.
3- document the whole process. Hopefully when it comes to actually selling the car, you can mitigate the actual loss of value by showing A- it was minor, B- it was fixed at a PACC to Porsche standards, and C- insurance footed the bill and no corners were cut.
Aj718Spy (03-16-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 07:49 PM
John Vandermay
AutoX

(deleted)

Last edited by John Vandermay; 06-02-2023 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2023 | 08:15 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Who cares if you "can barely see it." I can sure see it. And I'm damn sure I'd focus in on it every time I looked at the back of my car if it looked like that. So just doing paint correction (anything short of a spray) isn't good enough because it probably wouldn't get it to 100%. If it requires a repaint of the entire bumper cover (and maybe even some repair to the cover) it's significant damage to me. Major damage? No. Moderate damage? Probably not. But significant damage? Yep. And nobody here can say with a straight face that they would value your repaired car the same as a pristine, unmolested and without Carfax ding car if all else were equal. We'd all take the pristine car and I don't believe anyone who says otherwise.

Last edited by SpyderSenseOC; 06-03-2023 at 12:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SpyderSenseOC:
Larry Cable (06-21-2023), Swayze (06-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Spyder Depreciation after Minor Accident