Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Yet another GT4 review!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 02:59 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Kitc2246
You said you were a track novice. You definitely need to take a PCA or other club one day High Performance Drivers Clinic. After that you can decide if you want to do a DE. The car is designed to be driven on the track. Probably OK for a one day event, but a more track oriented alignment is needed if nothing else to save the left front tire.

Suggest at minimum PPF for the nose, rear rocker panel, intakes and behind rear wheels.
Car was fully PPF'd last week. I'll be bringing it to a local P-car shop to do a track alignment before my first track day in this car in March. I've done about 3 track days in the past with various cars so i'll still probably have a coach with me when i go out in this car. But i hope to be brining this car to the track as much as possible.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (02-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 03:00 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by enduro
The S2k was such a timeless design. An itch I've always wanted to scratch.
honestly if you ever get the chance to own one even for a little bit its so worth it. And they are retaining their value really well. I bought mine in 2019 for 20k with 58k miles on it with an OEM hardtop. I sold it 2022 for 30k with 72k miles
enduro (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 03:01 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Received 852 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Great write up and congratulations!

Regarding the AC; There have been a number of reports regarding AC problems on these cars, A search here on Rennlist should bring this into focus, you are not alone on this one.

As for the Dual Climate Control, it is the best thing about the AC system if you opted for it, you get to choose the actual temperature not just a point on the scale, you get to split the temperatures (if you desire) and when you do choose a temperature the system works to keep it there, no need to fiddle with the fan controls, and it is nice because one person or the other might not want the air blowing at them all of the time, IIRC the basic system cannot split the fan speeds side-to-side or sync temperatures like you mention above.

Also, it looks more modern than the base system controls, Yep, it is better than sliced bread!
I'll add this:
You can't have a 130k car that doesn't have auto climate control with dual zone. It's kind of a base must have for HVAC in a modern car.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:07 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Great write up and congratulations!

Regarding the AC; There have been a number of reports regarding AC problems on these cars, A search here on Rennlist should bring this into focus, you are not alone on this one.

As for the Dual Climate Control, it is the best thing about the AC system if you opted for it, you get to choose the actual temperature not just a point on the scale, you get to split the temperatures (if you desire) and when you do choose a temperature the system works to keep it there, no need to fiddle with the fan controls, and it is nice because one person or the other might not want the air blowing at them all of the time, IIRC the basic system cannot split the fan speeds side-to-side or sync temperatures like you mention above.

Also, it looks more modern than the base system controls, Yep, it is better than sliced bread!
Haha i think i generally don't care for all of those automated bells and whistles. My favorite HVAC system was my S2000. it was perfect. I could get the car temp exactly what i wanted and adjust on the fly and the fan speeds were perfect. For some reason i much prefer to adjust my temp based on feeling on the fly rather than trying to have a system adapt to me. I have weird body temp fluctuations due to the major heart surgeries I've had over the years so automatic systems generally don't work very well for me.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:27 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 471 Posts

I opted not to spec the Dual Climate control as well - based off my S2K experiences, and saw no point for a climate control in such a small cabin. Also, I find climate control to be a little too tame when it comes to keeping a proper circulation of air flow in a car. Even in my F82.. I feel like Im breathing my own air most of the time when Im using it.. then combine that with my dog who’s always riding shotty- it can be suffocating - so I never use DCC.

For the comment about DCC being a must in a $130K car…. Why the hell isnt this standard in a 130K car? I know Porsche wants you to tick every box, but common man- Im shocked I didnt need to spec the car with windshield wipers!!

@Xxyion have you reached the point yet where you feel you’ve gone through “breakin” and fully opened the car up?
Old 01-31-2023, 06:57 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by BoxKing
I opted not to spec the Dual Climate control as well - based off my S2K experiences, and saw no point for a climate control in such a small cabin. Also, I find climate control to be a little too tame when it comes to keeping a proper circulation of air flow in a car. Even in my F82.. I feel like Im breathing my own air most of the time when Im using it.. then combine that with my dog who’s always riding shotty- it can be suffocating - so I never use DCC.

For the comment about DCC being a must in a $130K car…. Why the hell isnt this standard in a 130K car? I know Porsche wants you to tick every box, but common man- Im shocked I didnt need to spec the car with windshield wipers!!

@Xxyion have you reached the point yet where you feel you’ve gone through “breakin” and fully opened the car up?
I felt the exact same in my F87. However i feel like that's a BMW thing. My parents X5 and 230i felt the same and my Supra (BMW interior) also felt the same. Luckily the GT4 is closer to the S2000.

I'm basically broken in. I'm almost at 700 miles and i'm also the kinda person who strongly believes engines are broken in from the factory and it's less a requirement nowadays than it used to be. I haven't taken her to redline yet but i've gotten close at around 7000 RPM. My first Autocross session is in 2 weeks so that's when i'll really open her up.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:30 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,057 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
But i hope to be brining this car to the track as much as possible.
That's awesome! Definitely looking forward to seeing you at one of our local tracks. There are some good organizations that are great for beginners and folks getting to know their cars. It's the best way to enjoy these cars, IMO.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:36 PM
BMPR
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats and thanks for sharing! Made me even more excited to finally get mine in a month or two. Really enjoyed the comparison to the S2K as well and didn't realize there were so many prior S2K owners here! I too had an AP1 S2K years ago and loved that car. I've tried to buy it back multiple times as it was quite sentimental to me but unfortunately can't seem to track it down anymore. Glad to know the GT4 will help remind me of it!

Old 02-01-2023, 03:43 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by BMPR
Congrats and thanks for sharing! Made me even more excited to finally get mine in a month or two. Really enjoyed the comparison to the S2K as well and didn't realize there were so many prior S2K owners here! I too had an AP1 S2K years ago and loved that car. I've tried to buy it back multiple times as it was quite sentimental to me but unfortunately can't seem to track it down anymore. Glad to know the GT4 will help remind me of it!

Lovely S2k! Love the tan seats with the GPW. It really does go to show how good these cars are that so many owners here were also previous S2k owners. You'll love the GT4. There's so much of the S2000 in the car it surprised me. I almost makes me miss the S2k...almost...
Old 02-02-2023, 07:35 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

congratulations! great to hear so much love and enthusiasm for your first porsche. Your post brings me back to that feeling when I got my first porsche, and it was "just" a stripper 981S cayman! Enjoy!
Xxyion (02-02-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 01:51 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome, super curious though, I tried to get LA Experience Delivery on mine, ordered in May, arrived end of December and was told I couldn't have it, only GT3's, Taycans, and RS cars, so nice job in scoring that.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:01 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by ramans
Awesome, super curious though, I tried to get LA Experience Delivery on mine, ordered in May, arrived end of December and was told I couldn't have it, only GT3's, Taycans, and RS cars, so nice job in scoring that.
When did you ask for it? I asked my dealer if they could ask PEC LA if its something i could do right as i got the allocation. I heard that once the build locks, then it's no longer a possibility. I had heard the same where it was only 911s and Taycans, but i really pushed for it as it was something that i really wanted in order to complete the experience for myself.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:30 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,031 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion

Congrats on the new ride. Love your matching shoes! (My kid is a shoe guy and he is teaching me about Nike.)

Originally Posted by BoxKing

Funny you said that. The rear wiper is an option on the GTS.

The price we paid for customization. Base car doesn’t come with much.

Quick Reply: Yet another GT4 review!