Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Where do you go from a manual 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 08:32 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

definitely some interesting thoughts and perspectives in the posts above
I don't think modding is the answer as I feel like the GTS 4.0 is essentially a modded 981S and I still got the CADD
If my situation was different and I could have multiple cars I could see that nixing the CADD
but where I am at, it's probably going to be the emira assuming it turns out to be decently reliable, it really is the only newer option out there that is compact, manual, non-turbo

the landscape is definitely different than 2015 when CADD kicked in then and I looked to replace my 2014 Cayman S
I looked at C7's, vantages, the evora, the 991.1, R8's, f type, 350 slk
all non turbo manuals
times have changed

Old 01-23-2023, 09:00 AM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 351 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by baege
I don't think modding is the answer as I feel like the GTS 4.0 is essentially a modded 981S and I still got the CADD
If my situation was different and I could have multiple cars I could see that nixing the CADD
but where I am at, it's probably going to be the emira assuming it turns out to be decently reliable, it really is the only newer option out there that is compact, manual, non-turbo

the landscape is definitely different than 2015 when CADD kicked in then and I looked to replace my 2014 Cayman S
all non turbo manuals
times have changed
My biggest issue w/ manufacturers today is the interior designers. Almost every car out there gets ruined once they decide to stick an iPad on the dash w/ zero integration, Emira included. It's the biggest eye sore the industry collectively adopted.
Nissan's Z kept a classy interior. Obviously our cars did too. Actively looking for other sporty/sports cars that follow that same design.
The following 3 users liked this post by IndigoInkTaco:
brock256 (01-23-2023), c1pher (01-23-2023), patdonahue (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 09:00 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by baege

all non turbo manuals
times have changed
The Emira V6 may be "non-turbo", but it isn't N/A. I think the engine is the weakest link of that car, and what's kept me uninterested.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:30 AM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by manifold danger
The Emira V6 may be "non-turbo", but it isn't N/A. I think the engine is the weakest link of that car, and what's kept me uninterested.
yup I didn't find that engine very inspiring when I test drove an Evora, definitely no porsche flat six! the throttle response much better then a turbo though.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:04 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
My biggest issue w/ manufacturers today is the interior designers. Almost every car out there gets ruined once they decide to stick an iPad on the dash w/ zero integration, Emira included. It's the biggest eye sore the industry collectively adopted.
Nissan's Z kept a classy interior. Obviously our cars did too. Actively looking for other sporty/sports cars that follow that same design.
I feel similarly. It’s lazy to just slap a 12” screen in the car and call it a day. 718, although based on last gen Porsche design strikes a nice balance between old school with the gauges you need and tech to give you nav, backup camera, CarPlay etc.
The following users liked this post:
patdonahue (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 12:04 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,582 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
With 28bhp that must be a petty fast 2CV!
It’s faster than a Ferrari!

https://metro.co.uk/2015/01/09/as-ma...onest-5015632/
Old 01-23-2023, 01:56 PM
Bucketlistx911
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 115 Posts
Default The Financial Approach

I have a similar disorder "CCBD" compulsive car buying disorder. I go through cars like the High School quarterback who goes through cheerleaders. Nine Porsches in 15 years and still buying. The thing is there will never be one perfect car. Not a Porsche, not a Lotus, not a Ferrari, not a Mclaren and so on.The Porsche 718 GTS is a near pinnacle car and very hard-(ie impossible) to beat in its price/horsepower range. So what to do for the next thrill? I submit its important to try them all and rotate through the parade of fast cars, lets try this one then go try that one and so forth. There is a lot of variety in the sports car universe and you need to try many to enjoy the ultimate total experience. I understand most everyone faces financial constraints, so this is how you can try them all responsibly. Give up on the foolish notion you are a one car guy. Take your auto portfolio and divide it in half. The first half will hold your 718 GTS, call this your "long tern hold portfolio." You hold it forever and let your kids decide what to do with the 718 GTS when you check out. Then the other half becomes your "trading portfolio." This is a short term buy and trade account. Limit it to one or two additional cars. Use some leverage if necessary, borrow on a line which can go up or down. For the trading account go buy whatever fancies you today, scratch the itch. Enjoy the chase, try it and love it or flip it for the next pretty four wheel object. Okay I know this has an economic cost but not much. If you buy the right vehicles the depreciation hit is modest. Okay there is some interest and carry cost of course. Can you afford $10k a year? D esign the portfolio accordingly. You can run this two-three account car portfolio for $100k- $200k total invested capital + some financing. You will have a blast living sports car life to the fullest. Some years you might breakeven or heck in a bad year maybe lose $10-$15k, but my gosh look at the fun. This is a bit of financial engineering but no worries go try a bunch of new/used sports car and maybe you will find the perfect portfolio! At the end of your life you will never regret that trading portfolio leaking a bit of money along the way...
The following 3 users liked this post by Bucketlistx911:
baege (01-23-2023), BoxKing (01-23-2023), fxmixer (01-24-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 03:33 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,337 Likes on 757 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucketlistx911
I have a similar disorder "CCBD" compulsive car buying disorder. I go through cars like the High School quarterback who goes through cheerleaders. Nine Porsches in 15 years and still buying. The thing is there will never be one perfect car. Not a Porsche, not a Lotus, not a Ferrari, not a Mclaren and so on.The Porsche 718 GTS is a near pinnacle car and very hard-(ie impossible) to beat in its price/horsepower range. So what to do for the next thrill? I submit its important to try them all and rotate through the parade of fast cars, lets try this one then go try that one and so forth. There is a lot of variety in the sports car universe and you need to try many to enjoy the ultimate total experience. I understand most everyone faces financial constraints, so this is how you can try them all responsibly. Give up on the foolish notion you are a one car guy. Take your auto portfolio and divide it in half. The first half will hold your 718 GTS, call this your "long tern hold portfolio." You hold it forever and let your kids decide what to do with the 718 GTS when you check out. Then the other half becomes your "trading portfolio." This is a short term buy and trade account. Limit it to one or two additional cars. Use some leverage if necessary, borrow on a line which can go up or down. For the trading account go buy whatever fancies you today, scratch the itch. Enjoy the chase, try it and love it or flip it for the next pretty four wheel object. Okay I know this has an economic cost but not much. If you buy the right vehicles the depreciation hit is modest. Okay there is some interest and carry cost of course. Can you afford $10k a year? D esign the portfolio accordingly. You can run this two-three account car portfolio for $100k- $200k total invested capital + some financing. You will have a blast living sports car life to the fullest. Some years you might breakeven or heck in a bad year maybe lose $10-$15k, but my gosh look at the fun. This is a bit of financial engineering but no worries go try a bunch of new/used sports car and maybe you will find the perfect portfolio! At the end of your life you will never regret that trading portfolio leaking a bit of money along the way...
This is actually something no-one really has mentioned yet. And I think it's because it can be perceived as irresponsible. However this is exactly how I went through 5 cars in the past 3 years. I made sure I bought cars that didn't get hit too hard with depreciation, and at the time I also made sure I didn't pay any markup. I lost maybe a total of 10k going from a 230i, to a M2 Comp, and then to a A91 Supra. I lost about 5k going from the Supra to my Veloster N but honestly, spending 15k in order to drive an M2 Comp and a Supra for 2 1/2 years is a freaking deal.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:58 PM
AtoB
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 68 Posts

how about backwards.. like a classic 993?
https://www.autotrader.com/oversteer...-on-autotrader
The following users liked this post:
brock256 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 04:53 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 496 Likes on 244 Posts

AIR COOLED!
Old 01-23-2023, 05:05 PM
No Name
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I ended up getting the GR86. By far the best bang for buck sports car to get that's track ready with cheap consumables. I don't want to say it but, been driving the GR86 quite more often vs the GT4. The shifting in gear feels much better. Both great cars to say at the end.

d
The following 3 users liked this post by No Name:
c1pher (01-23-2023), slilley (01-25-2023), sonorous (01-26-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 05:19 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by No Name
I ended up getting the GR86. By far the best bang for buck sports car to get that's track ready with cheap consumables. I don't want to say it but, been driving the GR86 quite more often vs the GT4. The shifting in gear feels much better. Both great cars to say at the end.

d
This is exactly my garage. My girlfriend has a GR86 and I have the GT4. Honestly the GR86 is a fantastic car and an insane value for the money. I still wish the engine was better, even though its a vast improvement from the first ten (I had a 2016 BRZ), I still find it pretty lackluster. That being said there is a lot of the 86 that I can feel in the GT4 which just goes to show how good the car is.

I see you are also in California. Which part? If you're in the SF Bay Area there is a 86 Southbay meet this Saturday. I'll be brining the GT4 and the Girlfriend is brining her 86.

Last edited by Xxyion; 01-23-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:33 PM
No Name
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice, I'm located near Sacramento. I head to Thunderhill quite often, if I get a chance to see you guys Ill stop and say Hi!
Old 01-23-2023, 05:43 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by No Name
Nice, I'm located near Sacramento. I head to Thunderhill quite often, if I get a chance to see you guys Ill stop and say Hi!
Sounds good! I should hopefully be there in March.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:35 PM
baege
Racer

Originally Posted by Bucketlistx911
the trading portfolio is pretty much what I have been doing, I just buy whatever next grabs my attention within a certain budget
I've only lost about 50K in depreciation in the last 10 years

Quick Reply: Where do you go from a manual 4.0?