Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 GTS 4.0 versus 981 Cayman GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 07:57 PM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

Something I posted in a similar thread which might help (although there are some spot on responses above):

Now that things have normalized for me, I would say that if I had a 981S or GTS with low mileage and in top condition, I would not bother with the move to the GTS 4.0

For someone who does not track their cars, for pure road driving the difference in the driving experience between a 981S or GTS and a 4.0GTS is not huge. They both sound good inside (4.0 sounds better inside than a 981S but a 981GTS sounds better inside and out), they both feel fast when you rev them out (the 4.0 definitely feels torquier though) and they both handle well (I honestly can't perceive a huge difference between my 16S with x73 and my GTS 4.0 in road handling, although the 4.0 is definitely more compliant) and they both look great.

So unless you just want a newer car with warranty, I wouldn't bother with moving to a 4.0 from a 981S or 981GTS.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:05 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I had a 981 Spyder and now the 718 Spyder and much prefer the 718 Spyder

Here are the major differences imho:

Engine
The 4.0 liter engine may only be marginally more powerful but how it builds torque makes the 718 Spyder feel much more potent across the rev range. My 981 Spyder’s 3.8 felt almost anemic in spots which was probably exacerbated by the longer gearing. The 718 has plenty of pull even in 4th gear, the engine just seems to have torque to spare. Definite win 718

Suspension
The GT4 derived PASM suspension on the 718 Spyder feels far more damped, composed and comfortable than the X73 on my 981 Spyder. Out of all the Porsches I owned, my 981 Spyder was probably the most harsh feeling. I often felt beat up after an enthusiastic drive, which is something I hadn’t felt since my first air cooled 911 Targa. The 718 Spyder has a perfect balance of analog character and modern damping imho. Win 718

Exhaust
The 981 Spyder might have been the best sounding stock Porsche I ever owned if it wasn’t for the pops and burbles that get annoying after a while. Still the exhaust note provides that quintessential flat 6 wail and it is a thing of absolute beauty. The 718 Spyder really needs an aftermarket exhaust and then you can hear its deeper throatier growl -still I prefer the tone of the 981 Spyder. Win 981

Conclusion
The 981 Is a great car don’t get me wrong but I think the 4.0 liter in the 718 is a big upgrade especially with an MT. I can’t speak about the X73 in the 981GTS but in my 981 Spyder it was harsh and never felt very composed. I guess you could call it playful but I’d rather call it a day and have the far more more composed feeling suspension in the 718 Spyder -which is still more playful than a 991. I don’t think there is a bad Porsche just degrees of goodness but if I much prefer the 718 Spyder to the 981 Spyder. A GTS may be somewhat different and YMMV.

Last edited by Underblu; 01-17-2023 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
baege (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:16 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
I had a 981 Spyder and now the 718 Spyder and much prefer the 718 Spyder

Here are the major differences imho:

Engine
The 4.0 liter engine may only be marginally more powerful but how it builds torque makes the 718 Spyder feel much more potent across the rev range. My 981 Spyder’s 3.8 felt almost anemic in spots which was probably exacerbated by the longer gearing. The 718 has plenty of pull even in 4th gear, the engine just seems to have torque to spare. Definite win 718

Suspension
The GT4 derived PASM suspension on the 718 Spyder feels far more damped, composed and comfortable than the X73 on my 981 Spyder. Out of all the Porsches I owned, my 981 Spyder was probably the most harsh feeling. I often felt beat up after an enthusiastic drive, which is something I hadn’t felt since my first air cooled 911 Targa. The 718 Spyder has a perfect balance of analog character and modern damping imho. Win 718

Exhaust
The 981 Spyder might have been the best sounding stock Porsche I ever owned if it wasn’t for the pops and burbles that get annoying after a while. Still the exhaust note provides that quintessential flat 6 wail and it is a thing of absolute beauty. The 718 Spyder really needs an aftermarket exhaust and then you can hear its deeper throatier growl -still I prefer the tone of the 981 Spyder. Win 981

Conclusion
The 981 Is a great car don’t get me wrong but I think the 4.0 liter in the 718 is a big upgrade especially with an MT. I can’t speak about the X73 in the 981GTS but in my 981 Spyder it was harsh and never felt very composed. I guess you could call it playful but I’d rather call it a day and have the far more more composed feeling suspension in the 718 Spyder -which is still more playful than a 991. I don’t think there is a bad Porsche just degrees of goodness but if I much prefer the 718 Spyder to the 981 Spyder. A GTS may be somewhat different and YMMV.
I too went from the 981 Spyder to the 718 Spyder and I agree with you for the most part. I did do a full Kline inconel exhaust and I now think that the 718 sounds better than my 981 ever did.

Crazy as it sounds, I think the looks of the 981 are also more classic and less GT. That can be a good or a bad thing but the front spoiler being painted and less overall mould in color plastic (side rakes, third brake light, etc.) made the 981 look more like a classic sports car and less like a race car. I'm not sure which will age better in the looks department but I am leaning towards the 981. Either way, the 718 makes up for in the the ways you discussed.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:13 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I'm usually that guy so I'll just say it- the Spyder comparisons are a pure sidebar conversation and only vaguely helpful to the OP, who has a Cayman GTS. The X73 comparison is valid though. I had it on my 981 BGTS too, and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. I was coming from an F82 M4 with adaptive suspension, and the X73 was somehow far more compliant. But I'll also agree that the PASM -20 on my 718 BGTS(s) is even better.

And that's really the story with the 718. It's tough to argue that everything isn't just a little bit better than the 981, plus you hit reset with a car with no miles and a fresh warranty... but factored all in together it still may not completely justify the cost/effort to upgrade. Kind of like if you have an iPhone 13 that does everything you need it to, do you really need more camera pixels and the little dynamic island thing? Most would say no. But some still upgrade every time there's something new.

I still say keep the 981.
The following 4 users liked this post by manifold danger:
HelpMeHelpU (08-03-2023), Klepper (01-19-2023), maschinetheist (01-18-2023), Z06jerry (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 12:23 PM
maschinetheist
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

would y'all recommend an upgrade to GTS 4.0 from 981 2.7L? It really comes down to the engine + 10% sharper steering but find it hard to justify the cost. Debating going with BGB to upgrade the motor from 2.7 to 3.8+ or trying to find a dealer that won't smack on a 15k ADM. In the long run the GTS 4.0 should hold more value than frankensteined 981 but it seems like I'd still need to do OAPs/exhaust/headers to match the sound of 981. Thoughts or no brainer?
Old 01-18-2023, 05:49 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by maschinetheist
would y'all recommend an upgrade to GTS 4.0 from 981 2.7L? It really comes down to the engine + 10% sharper steering but find it hard to justify the cost. Debating going with BGB to upgrade the motor from 2.7 to 3.8+ or trying to find a dealer that won't smack on a 15k ADM. In the long run the GTS 4.0 should hold more value than frankensteined 981 but it seems like I'd still need to do OAPs/exhaust/headers to match the sound of 981. Thoughts or no brainer?
If you can't get one at MSRP then it's a no-brainer. These are already very expensive cars as is; I really don't think they're worth more than MSRP. I wouldn't (and didn't) pay an ADM, I don't think anyone should, not for a GTS- especially if they already have a car they love.

As for going the BGB route, that's an entirely different proposition. A heavily modified car carries its own characteristics, and some either love them or hate them. Personally, modifying a car for me gives me intense anxiety, unless it's a dedicated "fun" car. But some can't leave their cars alone and are happier that way.

To each their own. Still a ~10 year old car, but if you have a trusty shop (i.e., if you're taking it to BGB), then maybe it makes sense. Also will depend on your use case. If you're a track rat it might be beneficial having it heavily modified- for a street car I personally see no sense in it.

Last edited by manifold danger; 01-18-2023 at 05:52 PM.
maschinetheist (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 07:47 PM
15caymangts
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks for the advice. I am inclined to keep my GTS.

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I'm usually that guy so I'll just say it- the Spyder comparisons are a pure sidebar conversation and only vaguely helpful to the OP, who has a Cayman GTS. The X73 comparison is valid though. I had it on my 981 BGTS too, and actually thoroughly enjoyed it. I was coming from an F82 M4 with adaptive suspension, and the X73 was somehow far more compliant. But I'll also agree that the PASM -20 on my 718 BGTS(s) is even better.

And that's really the story with the 718. It's tough to argue that everything isn't just a little bit better than the 981, plus you hit reset with a car with no miles and a fresh warranty... but factored all in together it still may not completely justify the cost/effort to upgrade. Kind of like if you have an iPhone 13 that does everything you need it to, do you really need more camera pixels and the little dynamic island thing? Most would say no. But some still upgrade every time there's something new.

it was very helpful to have you compare the 981 and the 718 GTS 4.0. I would spec the new car so similarly to my 981 that it just seems better to keep mine.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:55 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 224 Posts

I literally had this exact dilemma come across my table today. Dealer says I'm next up to bat for a 4.0 GTS (after putting my name down over a year ago) but I've had zero complaints with my 981. I've installed Ohlins coilovers on my 981 so I'm not even sure I'd be getting "better" suspension with a move into a 718 at this point. Also had wireless carplay installed so that wouldn't be an upgrade for me either. Thinking about just running my 981 into the ground (85k miles right now) and installing the 3.8L engine when the time comes. Seems a shame to let the allocation go given how long I've waited and how rare they are but it doesn't seem to make any sense for me. I also love the spec I already have so I'm not sure I'd go for anything drastically different either:

The following 5 users liked this post by nhnguy12:
drgav2005 (01-19-2023), Klepper (01-19-2023), manifold danger (01-19-2023), maschinetheist (01-18-2023), Randy_B (01-18-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 08:05 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 15caymangts
it was very helpful to have you compare the 981 and the 718 GTS 4.0. I would spec the new car so similarly to my 981 that it just seems better to keep mine.
I think this is the way.

I've actually thought a bit more on this recently and probably have a bit of regret in the path I've taken since having my 981. Yes, that car had a ****load of miles that I didn't put on it, and that was really its only flaw. But at the time I got it, and the smiles per mile it provided, it really was the single best car I've ever owned.

I love my 718, and it was an... interesting experience to go through the process of ordering my own "bespoke" Porsche sports car. But if I had a time machine I would have just kept the 981. Especially in GTS trim, it really is all the Porsche anyone could ever need.

*Sigh* live and learn...

Last edited by manifold danger; 01-19-2023 at 08:06 AM.
HelpMeHelpU (08-03-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 08:18 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,828 Likes on 888 Posts

What is this forum if not a bunch of sidebar conversations?
Old 01-19-2023, 09:10 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MaddMike
What is this forum if not a bunch of sidebar conversations?
Agreed, seriously- but I was just trying to pull it back on topic.
MaddMike (01-19-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 10:29 AM
baege
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 111 Posts

I think this is the way.

I've actually thought a bit more on this recently and probably have a bit of regret in the path I've taken since having my 981. Yes, that car had a ****load of miles that I didn't put on it, and that was really its only flaw. But at the time I got it, and the smiles per mile it provided, it really was the single best car I've ever owned.

I love my 718, and it was an... interesting experience to go through the process of ordering my own "bespoke" Porsche sports car. But if I had a time machine I would have just kept the 981. Especially in GTS trim, it really is all the Porsche anyone could ever need.

*Sigh* live and learn...

hold up, why the regret? do you actually prefer the 981 GTS? if so why?
Old 01-19-2023, 10:49 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 540 Posts

Good points. I am original owner and specked the car as I wanted, Rhodium Silver, garnet red natural leather, MT, PTV, X73, etc.
I would spec the 4.0 very similarly but maybe with only 10mm lowered suspension, otherwise almost identical car.
Do I really need a new car? Not sure!
Absolutely nobody "needs" cars like this. It is a privileged indulgence. Even when I look back at pics of my 2015 CGTS, I still think it looks absolutely stunning and modern. Honestly, if I never wound up having anything more than that, I would be quite happy. When I ordered my Spyder it was pre-Covid, so it wan't the gymnastics performance to get one that it is now. I ordered it built to spec in September 2019, and took delivery in June 2020 at MSRP. If I had to do it today, and had a 981 in a spec that I really liked, I don't know that I would jump through the hoops and pay the ADM to get a GT4, Spyder or GTS 4.0 in this market. However, if you don't care about the ADM, can get exactly what you want, and can wait, go for it. Just don't hold your breath about when it will arrive. Enjoy your 981 in the meantime.

2015 Cayman GTS.....

Doesn't Suck !!!

Last edited by VVG; 01-19-2023 at 03:26 PM.
HelpMeHelpU (08-03-2023)
Old 01-19-2023, 02:59 PM
15caymangts
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sounds familiar, thanks for the message

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
I literally had this exact dilemma come across my table today. Dealer says I'm next up to bat for a 4.0 GTS (after putting my name down over a year ago) but I've had zero complaints with my 981. I've installed Ohlins coilovers on my 981 so I'm not even sure I'd be getting "better" suspension with a move into a 718 at this point. Also had wireless carplay installed so that wouldn't be an upgrade for me either. Thinking about just running my 981 into the ground (85k miles right now) and installing the 3.8L engine when the time comes. Seems a shame to let the allocation go given how long I've waited and how rare they are but it doesn't seem to make any sense for me. I also love the spec I already have so I'm not sure I'd go for anything drastically different either:

My situation exactly, sorry to give up a long awaited allocation but I just can’t see enough difference in the 718 to justify the extra cost.
thanks for your message.
Old 01-19-2023, 05:13 PM
gtsdreamin
Track Day

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My situation exactly, sorry to give up a long awaited allocation but I just can’t see enough difference in the 718 to justify the extra cost.
thanks for your message.
I wish I was in the same position. I can't find a 718 CGTS allocation without ADM here in the SW. I finally found a 981S in the right color with a few options and 28k miles and can't decide if I should keep pursuing finding an allocation or sticking with what I found...

Quick Reply: 718 GTS 4.0 versus 981 Cayman GTS?