Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

The upgrades are done. Or should I say Dundon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2023 | 06:30 PM
MrFunk
Burning Brakes

Great report!
Old 01-08-2023 | 06:45 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SANSPDK
- If I was to take a guess (and this is an absolute shot in the dark) I would say 30'ish
Yep, that is what Dundon reports from their dyno runs. That said, many on this forum ask for dyno results . . . then question the validity of the dyno results when provided.

The TQ/HP gains provided by the Dundon headers/OAPs represent the best aftermarket tune available for the GT4. Porsche really squeezed most of the juice out of the Flat6 when it comes to tuning. All they really left on the table is what the EPA forced them to leave with the exhaust regulations. Dundon headers/OAPs gave it back to us.

Originally Posted by SANSPDK
Avera, There were a few reasons why I went with the R's over the regular Cup 2's.

1. There was only a 200 price difference between the two for a complete set
2. There was a 9% price increase from Michelin that went into effect Jan 1
3. (and this is really the biggest one) The R's were in stock

My understanding is that they are even more track focused and will wear faster than the Cup 2's. My car originally had the Dunlops on them.
The stock Cup2 tires work perfectly fine for me on the dry roadways. I do not think they provide as much traction as the PS4S on wet roadways. I was just wondering if the Rs provide better traction in wet conditions than the non-Rs. At any rate, seems your focus is the track, while mine is the roadways. I have a bit of treadle left on my Cup2s and am leaning toward the PS4S vs getting another set of Cup2s.

Avera
The following 2 users liked this post by Avera:
Bearrun21 (01-08-2023), SANSPDK (01-08-2023)
Old 01-09-2023 | 01:48 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

[QUOTE
@IndigoInkTaco no tune is necessary with this current configuration. I do not think I could justify the cost for one right now as I do not think I would be able to notice the difference. If this were a turbo it would have been done.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat in this for over a year now, but because i have catless headers it blinks engine sign in my dash permanently which i may end up to tune in order to remove it.
Old 01-09-2023 | 03:48 AM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Originally Posted by dnimi123
OP. Glad you are happier with the car, you are heading in the right direction. However you missed an opportunity by not getting the TPC adjustable rear toe links and throwing some shims on in the front to get a better alignment. Buying cup2R tires and not supporting them with a decent alignment is a bit of a waste. You said you think your skill should grow before you adjust the car further… but imagine if the car became less vague and more predictable how much quicker your confidence and skill would grow? As Tom at TPC Racing told me when I first got my GT4 2 years ago - traction is traction and more is always better. Good luck!
Hi Dnimi123, I agree with you and not recommend adding front shims for several reasons:
1- it will induce dead steering feel and response ( i suffered this in my car and removed them).
2- there has to be a better approch to increase front cambers without adding shims (not sure 100% but an Lower Control arm was an option)
at least this will lessen the steering dead spot as the shims did change my steering rotation degree as well not to mention the dead feel spot going 90"

This was my personal experience so far, reverted back to complete stock with agreesive settings on Track and normal Setting in the Street as per porsche book.
Old 01-09-2023 | 04:45 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
Hi Dnimi123, I agree with you and not recommend adding front shims for several reasons:
1- i
t will induce dead steering feel and response ( i suffered this in my car and removed them).
2- there has to be a better approch to increase front cambers without adding shims (not sure 100% but an Lower Control arm was an option)
at least this will lessen the steering dead spot as the shims did change my steering rotation degree as well not to mention the dead feel spot going 90"

This was my personal experience so far, reverted back to complete stock with agreesive settings on Track and normal Setting in the Street as per porsche book.
Hmm I’m not an expert by any stretch… but 99.9% of aggressive alignment set ups use shims up front. Not discounting what you know vs what my (and every other) race shop knows… so I’ll assume you have a point. I just don’t think there is another reasonable way to skin the cat…

Last edited by dnimi123; 01-09-2023 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2023 | 07:34 AM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
1- it will induce dead steering feel and response ( i suffered this in my car and removed them).

My alignment has some shim changes front and rear and its steering feel improved markedly after the alignment. I have to question whether other changes caused your loss in steering feel. It's notable that camber plates move your caster back to a good place and require less shims, and I have the adjustable solid thrust bushings to ensure my caster is where it should be, even with aggressive camber.

Quick Reply: The upgrades are done. Or should I say Dundon?