Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Daily Driver flat tire: Plug or replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023 | 03:58 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by confused66
Haven't seen this topic specifically addressed, only as ancillary comments, so: You've got an easily repairable flat (plug or patch and not on a sidewall) but Porsche says "no repairs allowed" (they even gave me a new tire when the car picked up a screw in their parking lot while it was in for service). So for a DD which will never see the track, do you repair it or drop several hundred for a new tire? I know many of you have had P-cars forever and many still have several in their stable, so curious what you'd do. TIA

FWIW, on the other side of the beltway from you, at Radial Tire, where tires as replaced on a family minivan, right next to a track only car brought by a trailer, they were adamant about "patching" my all-season, vs. "Buying a new one". I wound up buying a new one (my reasons are my own), and letting them patch the damaged tire, and kept it as a spare.

Old 01-06-2023 | 07:39 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

i am by no means saying this particular brand is the one to use, it was just the first one that came up in google.

if you are going to patch it, and i think you will be safe with road-only driving doing so, make sure it is one of this type:

Amazon Amazon

it is far superior to the old style:

https://www.autozone.com/suspension-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-06-2023 | 10:08 PM
Bents
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineball
i am by no means saying this particular brand is the one to use, it was just the first one that came up in google.

if you are going to patch it, and i think you will be safe with road-only driving doing so, make sure it is one of this type:

https://www.amazon.com/Hanperal-24Pc...99630381&psc=1

Interesting. Based on what? I’ve never seen those before but generally agree that patching (which requires removing the tire from the wheel) is superior to plugging, although I have had good luck with plugging.
Old 01-08-2023 | 03:57 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

https://www.amazon.com/Hanperal-24Pc...99630381&psc=1

I agree....the plug and patch combo (mushroom patches) are the way to go.
Old 01-08-2023 | 02:58 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bents
Interesting. Based on what? I’ve never seen those before but generally agree that patching (which requires removing the tire from the wheel) is superior to plugging, although I have had good luck with plugging.

plug + patch > plug alone
Old 01-08-2023 | 05:33 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

During a road trip awhile back one of the rear tires picked up a screw, it was patched by a Porsche dealer with a "T" style patch/plug, they said you as good as gold and are safe to return home. It was only when I asked that they made any comment about track use, they said not recommended. When I got home I ordered a replacement tire had it installed and kept the patched tire as a spare.

Fast forward to this past fall, I changed over to my winter set and discovered a boulder (exaggeration) in the other original back tire, the damn thing created a void right down to the cords! So, not really what I would like for street or track driving, the traed depth on the patched rear tire now matches the tread depth of the remaining tire...

The current plan, mount the patched tire in place of the recently compromised tire and carry on, these are my summer/ occasional track tires.
Old 01-10-2023 | 12:04 AM
nineball
Burning Brakes

so you want to run unevenly worn tires, one with a repair, on the track? may wanna rethink that...
Old 01-10-2023 | 03:48 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

so you want to run unevenly worn tires, one with a repair, on the track? may wanna rethink that...
Actually they would be pretty much a match for wear and tread depth, right to left rear on account of the track days in between swaps.
Old 01-10-2023 | 01:24 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Westcoast
The current plan, mount the patched tire in place of the recently compromised tire and carry on, these are my summer/ occasional track tires.

ok, it's your life and money...

Originally Posted by Westcoast
it was patched by a Porsche dealer with a "T" style patch/plug, they said you as good as gold and are safe to return home. It was only when I asked that they made any comment about track use, they said not recommended.

Old 01-10-2023 | 01:39 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing your opinion...
Old 01-11-2023 | 08:54 PM
A7Dave
8th Gear

Geez, talk about timing. Did a quick search for "tire repair" today and this popped up!

I haven't had a flat in 5 years and got tagged by a 4 inch construction screw on my bicycle last month and then backed my 911 out of the garage today and something felt funny... Got out to look. MFer. Another construction screw, this time only 2 inches long in the rear left tire. Safely inside the tread. Going to plug and patch it.
Old 01-12-2023 | 12:16 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

So you’re thinking that a patched tire on the track is going to somehow explode and then he’ll crash?
Old 01-12-2023 | 11:49 AM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
So you’re thinking that a patched tire on the track is going to somehow explode and then he’ll crash?
let me clarify it for you instead of you putting words into my mouth. i never said the above but i am also not saying there can't be problems with a compromised tire on track, and risking a car or worse a life for an easy repair you know of prior is never worth it. there is a reason all sources, other than individual opinions, tell you not to drive a compromised/repaired tire on track. track does not equal street, even for beginners. then again people are people and some just don't get it. i have seen many drivers turned away from a DE event for having tire issues.

to each his own, but when using a high performance vehicle like ours on track cheaping out on a ~$300 replacement for a ~$40 quick fix is not the way to do it. not doing any track driving? patch away as you will never get to the limits of the tires on the street unless you are already breaking the law.

Last edited by nineball; 01-12-2023 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
enduro (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023 | 12:17 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...cheaping out on a ~$300 replacement for a ~$40 quick fix...
FWIW, to buy the Dunlop Maxx Race 2 (295/30ZR20) where I am is more like $900 each and if you were doing that you would have to do both on the axel for obvious reasons, so with taxes and installation closer to $2000, if you can even get them.
Old 01-12-2023 | 12:18 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by confused66
Haven't seen this topic specifically addressed, only as ancillary comments, so: You've got an easily repairable flat (plug or patch and not on a sidewall) but Porsche says "no repairs allowed" (they even gave me a new tire when the car picked up a screw in their parking lot while it was in for service). So for a DD which will never see the track, do you repair it or drop several hundred for a new tire? I know many of you have had P-cars forever and many still have several in their stable, so curious what you'd do. TIA
New tire {ALWAYS} !!!

Terry

Quick Reply: Daily Driver flat tire: Plug or replace?