Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Best Trickle Charger for Condo Parking

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 08:03 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
My CTEK MXS 5.0 doesn’t reset either and has worked flawlessly for 3 years between two 718s. Not to say NOCO isn’t great stuff but CTEK is reliable, too.

OP - I’m confused what you’re asking. Are you having to run off an extension cord, and in that scenario the CTEK won’t work or are you saying you need one with a battery attached to trickle charge because you don’t have a plug at all? It’s late and I’m probably asking a silly obvious question.
Strange. I have two CTEK MXS 5 chargers and they reset after a power interruption. To a BMW and a Volvo connected to the jump terminals in the engine bay. The charger goes back to stage 3 and cycles back to stage 7.
I have an older Porsche charger from 2013 that I am using currently in my Boxster 25. That charger also resets whenever there is a power loss. I also bought a new Porsche charger that can be used for Li ion batteries. This charger in my Boxster doesn’t reset after a power loss. It will power on but I have to press mode to reset.
i was falsely informed by the local dealer’s parts department that my older charger wouldn’t work on a 2022 car.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:14 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
So exactly how long can you keep a trickle charge going with one of these devices? I moved our Macan GTS to our Florida condo for the winter and have left it there now since mid-November. The garage there also has no outlet for a charger. It has a new battery, and after a bit of research on the Macan forums, people have apparently left their vehicles for 3-4 months and they have started right up without a problem. Apparently, if you lock the car, after 96 hours, it goes into a "hibernation" mode. I bought a lithium-ion jump starter just in case. I will be going there in a few weeks so it will have been left for a total of 9 weeks. We will see !!
AFAIK, self-discharge rates of lithium ion batteries are very low at least in electric cars and plug-in hybrids with lithium ion batteries. The self- discharge rates are dependent on temperature and charge level of the battery. In my Volvo plug-in hybrid, Volvo recommends that the lithium ion battery should be at left at 25% charge for long term storage. I have noticed that even after 5 months in an unheated garage in NH, the hybrid battery doesn’t lose charge. OTOH, I do use a CTEK MXS 5 to keep the AGM starter battery charged in the car. Those batteries have high self-discharge rates and will be completely discharged in a month.
Old 03-30-2024, 09:19 AM
SpeedySpidey
Burning Brakes

Received 756 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo240ssx
On the original question, I have a similar situation 911 is parked without access to power. The ctek smart shows a 130ah battery, wouldn't that suggest a self contained trickle charger option? Link to their spec sheet: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...f?v=1702312249

Was hoping to buy a single device that can live in the frunk, rather than a standalone battery for the ctek to draw from.
Pretty cool product.
Maybe you should contact Ctek and ask them that question… the product sheet says “battery maintainer” but it doesn’t spell out long term storage.
Post what they say, I’m curious if this could replace the Jackery type option for powering a charger without access to electricity.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:17 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 287 Posts

@BDonaher

The safest and easiest way to accomplish your goal is to disconnect the negative lead to your battery. (It’s also free.)

The battery will last a very long time in that state. Six months at least.

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-30-2024 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (03-30-2024)
Old 03-30-2024, 04:47 PM
Nismo240ssx
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedySpidey
Pretty cool product.
Maybe you should contact Ctek and ask them that question… the product sheet says “battery maintainer” but it doesn’t spell out long term storage.
Post what they say, I’m curious if this could replace the Jackery type option for powering a charger without access to electricity.
message sent I will close the loop on this thread, here's hoping for the best
Old 04-01-2024, 11:10 PM
Nismo240ssx
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Haven't worked with CTEK much, so not sure the quality of their customer service folks but below is the response I received. Will report back if I choose to go this route

Old 04-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I use a portable charging station to keep my Spyder's battery charged - it stays in the frunk and it is connected whenever I am not driving it. I started doing this after an extended period of bad weather (and really nice weather so my bike was used) where the battery went totally dead. Now the car is left unlocked on the station and I have not had problems since.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:54 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,646 Likes on 2,708 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I use a portable charging station to keep my Spyder's battery charged - it stays in the frunk and it is connected whenever I am not driving it. I started doing this after an extended period of bad weather (and really nice weather so my bike was used) where the battery went totally dead. Now the car is left unlocked on the station and I have not had problems since.
If you feel that it is a good solution, or possibly the best that you have found, why not share the details like make, model and connections?
Old 04-05-2024, 09:56 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Westcoast
If you feel that it is a good solution, or possibly the best that you have found, why not share the details like make, model and connections?
I only use a cheap Amazon charging station since I do not go very long without using the car. But I just use the SAE connectors that are connected to the battery with an adapter for my NOCO charger so it just plugs into the station as one would plug into a wall outlet. I will take a pic of the setup and post it in this thread ASAP.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:57 PM
Porschefan604
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Any issues with excess heat or lack of ventilation, leaving the power bank in your frunk like that?
Old 04-05-2024, 01:59 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschefan604
Any issues with excess heat or lack of ventilation, leaving the power bank in your frunk like that?
No, and I monitored it for a while before leaving it in there. And on a charged battery the power station shows a very minor decrease in available power from week to week. Keep in mind I leave the car unlocked so it might be interesting to see how long the power station would stay charged that way.
Old 04-05-2024, 06:35 PM
Porschefan604
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
No, and I monitored it for a while before leaving it in there. And on a charged battery the power station shows a very minor decrease in available power from week to week. Keep in mind I leave the car unlocked so it might be interesting to see how long the power station would stay charged that way.
How many weeks do you think your power bank can keep the tender running? Do you know what capacity of the one you’re using?

I’m also curious - why keep the car unlocked? Is there a benefit over locking the car? I can’t keep my car unlocked in a shared parking garage…
Old 04-09-2024, 11:51 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 207 Posts

Here's a YouTube video on that CTEK CS Free mentioned above. Looks like it might be the perfect way to keep a battery topped off in situations where you don't have access to a 120VAC power plug. Probably just need to take it inside every week or two to re-charge it.

defiant2 (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 03:14 PM
defiant2
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 54 Posts

Apologies I'm in the 718 forum, but this last post can possibly be an answer:

can this CS free work with their "eyelet to comfort connect" cable? If this could be run from the battery of the 992's Frunk battery to up by the wipers, could be ideal for a dual tender/maintainer and emergency jump starter (without having to jump the 992's frunk).
Old 05-20-2024, 04:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by defiant2
Apologies I'm in the 718 forum, but this last post can possibly be an answer:

can this CS free work with their "eyelet to comfort connect" cable? If this could be run from the battery of the 992's Frunk battery to up by the wipers, could be ideal for a dual tender/maintainer and emergency jump starter (without having to jump the 992's frunk).
I am using mine now with the connector from the battery up through an opening near the wiper blades, but I have an SAE connector. They make adapters for everything though.
defiant2 (05-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Best Trickle Charger for Condo Parking